Resorts
Tourism
Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2024 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:19 pm 
Walleye Master

Ok, this post brought a tear to my eyes.

I am so grateful for ALL the men on this board and the connection ALL of us fishermen/women have in the Quinte area. We are truly blessed with some wonderful human beings in the area. I'm so happy this turned out to be a positive experience.

GBW, I encourage you to ask your buddy to share what went wrong and what preventative actions they took until the rescue. I feel that experience shared, may be some of the most valuable information this site has ever had to offer, while fishing" HER : with the cold November winds?

My heart also goes out to Charlie d . and his family. May you soon be found safely, brother.

Randy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:59 pm 
Guppy

Gone Fish'in wrote:
GBW, I encourage you to ask your buddy to share what went wrong and what preventative actions they took until the rescue. I feel that experience shared, may be some of the most valuable information this site has ever had to offer, while fishing" HER : with the cold November winds?
Randy

Sorry Randy but I fear he will not be posting it, any time soon. It was a fluke that got him. He was heading for calmer conditions to head back to shore. It's not my story to tell either.

All I CAN say is that a HUGE THANKS goes out to all involved! My buddy, his father and 2 friends are alive today because of very quick and intelligent people to notice and respond. Thanks again!
Geoff

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:27 pm 
Walleye

Geoff... so glad your buddy's are O.K. and had a great quick response from fellow anglers...well done fellas. What a horrific experience for all involved and thankfully had floatation suits on as well.

Those conditions Saturday came up quickly and were relentless, we were well east of the lighthouse making our way back to Glenora launch and had some tense moments ourselves as I am sure many did as well.

Continue to be safe all...

Steve
WalleyeWon

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:31 pm 
Guppy

Someone was asking what HP he had due to max ratings and so forth. He had/has a 150 on.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:53 pm 
Walleye Angler

What happened to the boat was it retrieved did it sink or is it floating awash? Still wondering about the requirement for level flotation.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:04 pm 
Walleye Angler

The weather was tricky sat for sure, I was planning on fishing a back lake but called it off Friday night due to the wind forecast. It wouldn't have been dangerous, just wouldn't have been enjoyable, when I got up sat morning I was pissed because there was no wind at all, but it did come and it came on fast.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:31 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Great job Scott and Sheldon! Stay safe out there guys

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:55 am 
Walleye Angler

I also was out there Saturday morning to witness that insane change in conditions.
The first little bit was beautiful out there, but once the wall of snow came in, so did the wind and it got NASTY... FAST!!
Probably one of the nastiest days I've seen including my guiding days. Had to be some 4-5ft swells in the reach easy.
We were in my buddies massively deep 20ft Starcraft and were still having issues getting back in, that's how bad it was.
I was dumbfounded at the number of smaller boats that were out there....some people just don't get it.
We even saw a 14ft tinny with two guys in it, launching at the ferry as the rest of us were coming in........

The guys in question launched right behind us, so it hit us hard that you never know how quickly things (and your life) can change.
From what I was told, a gust of wind threw the boat sideways, just as another wave swamped the boat INSTANTLY. Apparently they had no time to do anything before they were floating.

Grizz - I don't think that was the same boat you saw as I dont recall it having a 225.

Kudos to Scott and Sheldon for their quick efforts in helping out fellow fisherman.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:48 am 
Walleye

Well done Scott & Sheldon.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:42 am 
Walleye Angler

Hey, it has been a while since I posted on the forums.
All I have to say on all of this is myself, John Cheng and the crew aboard our boat did what was needed to assist fellow anglers in distress. We pulled them from the water and got them to safety and medical help as quick as possible.

Scott and I noticed the weather was starting to take turn for the worst and we radioed each other and decided to make the run back in towards sheltered waters. After a quick look around we decided to run the North shore. After pulling lines Scott was ahead of me and I told him I would catch up. After running for a few minutes Scott hailed me on the radio and told me he had four people in the water in front of him and needed assistance, within seconds we pulled into the area and Scott and I talked on the radio to confirm who was taking which guys and how many where in the water and etc. The crews onboard worked quickly to get throw ropes and rings out to the anglers in the water. Within minutes we had all four guys (2 into each boat) picked up and we headed to an adjacent area out of the wind to transfer our 2 anglers into Scott's boat as it has a heated enclosed pilot house.

I have no idea what happen to cause the sinking, and never asked. The guys that sank where trying to get into safer waters just like us. The main concern at the time was hypothermia and getting the 4 anglers we pulled from the water back to shore safely, so they could get the medical attention they needed.

We just happen to be in the area at the right time and where asked to assist fellow anglers, and that is what we did.

Glad everyone is safe, and thanks to all the people on both boats for their quick, calm and organized actions.

Sheldon

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:11 am 
Walleye

Sheldon you and scot acted as the experienced professionals you are.. experience on the water, and staying alert and calm in a bad situation, made for a safe ending.. my hat goes off to you and scot.. and all those aboard who helped..
terry

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:19 pm 
Walleye Master

Not trying to be a Smartass here, but hopefully this may help some people out in the future. ESPECIALLY GUYS WITH SMALLER BOATS. I checked 3 different weather stations at 5 a.m that day before I was going to launch. Windfinder, windguru and weather network. It was pretty clear on all 3 that the winds were going to be high late morning and into the afternoon from the West. I know it was calm in the morning, and I almost went out myself in my 16 footer. With the technology we have today with internet access on our phones and such, there really is no excuse to get yourself into this position, but then again, I guess that's why it's called an accident. Thank God there were guys out there in big boats to help, because anybody in the same size boat or less may not have been able to do anything to help.
Again, I hope nobody takes this the wrong way, but accidents like this can be avoided.

Tom

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:39 pm 
Guppy

Stoty wrote:
From what I was told, a gust of wind threw the boat sideways, just as another wave swamped the boat INSTANTLY. Apparently they had no time to do anything before they were floating.

He told me the same thing yesterday Jamie.
Again, to Scott & Sheldon and all others involved; thanks for saving my friend, his father and 2 of his buddies!

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:02 pm 
Walleye Master

To be fair the forcast was 35k and gusts of 50. In actuality it was 50+ with gusts of 60+.

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:30 pm 
Walleye Master

BigMac wrote:
To be fair the forcast was 35k and gusts of 50. In actuality it was 50+ with gusts of 60+.

I hear Ya BigMac, but 35 -50 should be enough to keep most guys off the water. I fish Rice Lake a lot, and I know there will be whitecaps at roughly 20-23K, so I'm assuming it would be the same on the Bay. Wind direction is sometimes worse than wind speed when there are no shorelines to protect you.

banner ad
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next