banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2024 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:06 pm 
Walleye Fry

I have a 16 Ft Alumacraft Lunker With a 50 Merc tiller. Is that a good enough for going out on the bay this time of year

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:08 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

It all depends on where on the bay you plan to fish>

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:20 pm 
Guppy

It really depends on your comfort level and Boating experience. If you do go keep a close on on the Wind Forecast as it can get ugly fast out there. There are places to tuck in and out of the wind but you still gotta get to those spots and make it back. Personally I wouldn't even consider it without a Float Suit on at this time of year. I do the Niagara all winter in my boat (Alumacraft 175 Navigator ) and I won't let anyone on my boat without a Survival Suit.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:29 pm 
Walleye Master

Like Wayne said. Were you fish and weather conditions need to be your top priority. Even a seasoned boater can get into trouble fast on the bay at any time of the year but more so in the late fall as the winds can get pretty crazy not to mention the cold. Proper and good quality safety gear is a must and always prepare for the worst. Make sure you tell people exactly were you are going to fish and when you plan to be back. Also make sure you have some form of communication like a cell phone or Marine VHF and know how to use it. Places like Long Reach and the Gap can get very ruff and rowdy as well as the stretch from Trenton all the way to Deseronto and it can blow up quick out there. The bay can throw some pretty big swells at you so again make sure you get good detailed weather information.. Be Safe.....

Fishy Fishy In The Bay, Bite This Line And Make My Day....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:34 pm 
Walleye Master

just make sure you have low winds (all day) and keep your head on straight.

i always tell folks if they have never fished quinte, try it in October...

get your bearings, learn your launches, etc.

further, and this is HUGE, if you have never fished in sub zero temps, i'd not suggest going....

everything changes.

your bilge pumps will freeze.

your trailer bunks will freeze.

your planer board clips will freeze shut.

your boat will become an ice rink.

your livewell and compartments will freeze.

if you have ANY waves the spray will form on the front of your boat, and start building ice. as the day goes on, the ice will continue to build, making your boat front heavy. if you need to get back to shore in a hurry (for any reason) you may find your boat will react differently than your used to due to the increased weight in the front of your boat.

there are so many EXTRA things to consider when your fishing below zero temps.

i personally would NEVER suggest to someone to fish quinte in december (or this late in november) unless you have ALREADY done it......never do it for the first time, this late in the year.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:58 pm 
Jumbo Perch

Well said Steve, BOQ can become a beast IN A HEARTBEAT! This weekend we saw a boat go down that was bigger than this boat in question. Boat size is only good if you know how to use it. If you are new to boating and/or BOQ, log some time at a safer time and place. BOQ can be unforgiving! I have a 17 foot tiller and many years of boating experience and I know when the bay tells me "not today!" Use common sense if you intend to go out. This time of year is dangerous!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:02 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Amen - Steve

David aka Superdad

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:15 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Some wise words here from many that have spent lots of time on the bay. I take my 14' tinny out there into December but with GREAT caution. 1st and foremost pay attention to wind forecasts. Windfinder.com is helpful but often winds are much stronger on the bay then the forecast indicates. Don't go alone and make sure your motor is running good - other than that heed what's already been said above and good luck out there!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:56 am 
Walleye

Well said Steve.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:27 am 
Walleye

I spend a lot of time on the water in a 16ft boat late, late in the season. One thing that has saved my bacon a few times is a small propane torch. When stuff freezes, this will really help. Trust me.

I don't fish late season, I'm chasing ducks. Usually with a fully loaded boat. Its not a place to be taking chances.

Keep an eye on the weather. If you even have to consider whether or not to head out, just don't. Only go in PERFECT, STABLE conditions. Stuff happens quick out there, and ALWAYS when you least expect it!

S.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:14 pm 
Perch

If you have to ask I wouldn't go this late in the year...

Like stated... Go in October as your first trip... That's what I did my first time.... I was able to get the "lay of the land" in nice weather... I've been up in mid December now in my 16' tiller wihout any issues... Even in really high winds... But I grew up fishing pretty big water in 16-18 foot tillers.. So I know what my boat is capable of... I've been out when we had to go in due to safety... I've testing my limits in big winds when it's warm... So when it's cold I know exactly what I can do...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:50 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

theres some real good advice there boys, way to go.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:26 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

I have a 19 ft center console and there are days I think twice about going out. This late season fishing is a different animal.

I've only been scared once and that was a trip to main duck. Better judgment got the better of me and I turned around.

banner ad