Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: LATE FALL Emergency Info
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:00 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

This is just an idea I had this morning after thinking about Saturdays events and the unforeseen future of our soft water trips. Every late fall the number of boats dwindles down as the weather gets ugly, with fewer boats on the water it might be hard to get help if u need it... Dead batteries , things freeze etc. With less traffic out there it could get ugly... So I thought if guys were heading out they could reply in here with the date they're going, description of boat, and a contact number that way people could look it up if they were in difficulty and gives them an option...

I'll be out the 26 & 27 for sure in a 22 foot blue n white islander with blue soft top and decals on side. My cell is 6.1.3---4.8.3--8.0.1.6 I also monitor ch 16 and answer to PB and j

Hope everyone stays safe.

Facebook: http://facebook.com/trophywalleye
Twitter: @pbandjcharters

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:06 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Joe...that's pretty decent of you to help out like this. Seems like very few boats have VHF radios and the few that do don't always know the proper way to use them. Personally I think every boat should have a VHF (even a hand held) and the knowledge to use them. I think they are the #1 big water saftey item.

www.limestonecityfishingcharters.com
YouTube Jim Lyon Fishing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:39 pm 
Walleye

Joe/Jim...after the Mother Nature events of the weekend of which I was apart of, I am considering a VHS for my rig. I really know very little about them, installation, cost, makes/models, use, licencing etc etc.

Could either of you elaborate for us newbies with them? I think it is potential life saving investment worth it's weight. I really know nothing about them...sorry to say.

Much appreciated...

Steve
WalleyeWon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:44 pm 
Walleye

Sorry Joe...not meaning to hi-jack your post in another direction.

Your idea is a great one and we should all be aware.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:15 pm 
Walleye Catcher

VHF Radios are pretty easy to install, power wire and antenna. The higher the antenna the longer the range (yes sometimes the longer 8 footers are a pain) you can get some pretty good antenna in shorter hights now that do a good job. Its really important to take the course to know how to use them but once you do you are licenced for life. You should be able to find some videos to help with installation. Like anything we use it stands to reason the more you spend usually you will get better stuff. I have the Lowrance unit with FM which I like. The handhelds don't work too bad but the range suffers because of the short antenna.

www.limestonecityfishingcharters.com
YouTube Jim Lyon Fishing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:52 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Just remember the higher the wattage the better for handhelds, as for hardmounts the length of attaching cable can be an issue as well, shorter the better, antenna length is important too, as stated in the above post.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:11 pm 
Walleye Master

A GREAT idea Joe!!! Good for you.

Walleye Won, www.radioworld.ca. They will have everything you need. VHF's are not that expensive or difficult to use. A License is required but cheap and easy to get through your local power squadron. This is a great time of year to start looking. A VERY good idea to get and have. On top of the safety aspect you will often hear tips about the bite on the "chatter channels". Get a radio that can scan channels so you can monitor several channels at once. It is law to monitor channel 16 (coast guard).

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:23 pm 
Walleye

Thats a great idea joe. My name is kyle and I should
Be out this weekend sat and sun 30th And the 1st, and wed,thurs,fri 4,5,6 weather permitting in a white 21ft striper . I monitor 16 and my cell
Phone number is (905) 809-7137. I always keep
Booster cables, a spare battery, tow rope, and heater on board.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:21 pm 
Walleye Fry

once again Joe that's brilliant. My Name is Dennis I will be out there in my 16ft Red Alumacraft Lunker with a 50 Merc on the back Givener. Weather permiting. My cell is (416)568-8005. Now with everybody with a smart phone in there pocket can access the fourm find a number if they get in trouble out there. This has got to be the best thing Ive seen on this Fourm. At the end of the day we are all a bunch Walleye nuts trying for that Quinte pig monkey and the fact that guys are posting there info in case of an emergency is truly a class act on everybodys part. But We should all thank Joe for putting a brilliant idea in motion. Last weekends quick rescue to boaters overboard will be a common thing if everybody keeps this up every year. STAY SAFE OUT THERE.

CHEERS JOE. BRILLIANT.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:12 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

If everything goes as planned we will be fishing on Saturday, Nov 30th and Sunday, Dec 1st.

Boat: 17 foot grey & black Tracker Pro Guide 17 with 115 Mercury on the back
"EyeCandy" logo on the side,
3 guys in the boat
cell phone 6137153474.
VHF radio on board monitoring channel 16 answer to EyeCandy or JimW.

Anyone out there feel free to text me if you want to share info. I can probably tell you where the fish are not biting. lol

Our group of 3 are staying at West Lake Willows Friday and Saturday night, if anyone wants to go for a "pop" after fishing let me know.

JimW

Smiths Falls DCI Redhawks Fishing Team Coach

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:17 am 
Walleye Master

Nice idea Joe.......... usually im one to tell people no need to fish in a pack as the fish are all over the place but the later it gets the greater the hazards become and a new way of thinking might be that there is safty in numbers. so fishing near and around other boats might be a good idea. and can be quite productive to work together fish wize as well . be safe boys.and watch out for your brothers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:53 am 
Walleye Angler

Good idea Joe,
I am done for the season and pulled the big boat as the Harbour is frozen ( or in the process of freezing) over. I highly recommend on waters of the great lakes that boats have VHF radios installed and you get your operators licence. The handhelds are very limited on range, so keep that in mind when looking at VHF radios. VHF and DSC is your life line out on the water, on Saturday for instance just before the wind gusts hit, a warning alarm went off on my radio with a message from the coast guard warning boaters about the approaching winds with direction and speed in knots.

Everyone be safe out there the rest of the open water season...

-s

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:21 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

right on good idea.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:53 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I also plan on being out as often as the weather will permit. I will not be out on Wednesday or Thursday I don't believe, but hopefully from Friday on.

Black Lund 208 GL with a 250 Verado Pro and kicker. Cell: 613-848-7881

Be safe and good luck.

Jeff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:49 am 
Walleye Fry

Looks like we are going to be out fishing on Friday, November 29th.... I will most likely be launching at the Glenora ferry ..we'll be in a 17 1/2 Lund Classic, grey with red stripe and a 90 Yamaha... I'll probably have my canvas top and sides on and the heater going to keep us warm ... we'll be fishing between the Ferry and the Bat cave ...cell 905 220 7252

banner ad