banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:09 am 
Walleye Angler

I might be corrected on this but I'm pretty sure if its a true Mr Heater extension hose , it will be a green hose and not black. Only Mr Heater extension hoses (although are more expensive) are the only ones you do not need a filter with

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:57 am 
Walleye Angler

The black one has the Mr heater label on the package. They also sell the filter at princess auto. On the back of the hose package it does not show the filter in the connection diagram but on the back of the filter package it does.so I do not think it is not needed with this hose.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:03 am 
Walleye Angler

Ah ok, if it says Mr Heater on the packaging , you should be good to go without the filter then. I just know that people have made the mistake of buying any old black extension thinking its the same but because of needing the filter , they are not the same. They must have changed it from thier trademark green hose

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:35 am 
Walleye Angler

Will open up the package and test later this week and confirm. My 5lb tank is arriving on Thursday.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:26 am 
Minnow

Educate me here. We're just getting rigged up for ice fishing for the first time. Last year we rented a hut on Simcoe and the heat source was just a coleman propane stove with one burner on low. Worked fine. I've got a propane stove so my intention was to just bring that for warmth, and heck, I could drop a pot of coffee on as well.

Then I read this thread and a few others suggesting that coleman stoves make poor heaters. So I bought a Mr. Heater portable buddy. I have a read when I get home, and it's the same darn thing - a propane source, not rated for indoor use.

So, is there a reason I just paid over $100 for this thing over the coleman stove? They both product CO I'm assuming at the same rate, they both use propane bottles, and with the new heater I can't even make coffee. What am I missing? Why wouldn't I return this thing and go back to my original plan of using my coleman stove?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:50 am 
Walleye Angler

wheel wrote:
Educate me here. We're just getting rigged up for ice fishing for the first time. Last year we rented a hut on Simcoe and the heat source was just a coleman propane stove with one burner on low. Worked fine. I've got a propane stove so my intention was to just bring that for warmth, and heck, I could drop a pot of coffee on as well.

Then I read this thread and a few others suggesting that coleman stoves make poor heaters. So I bought a Mr. Heater portable buddy. I have a read when I get home, and it's the same darn thing - a propane source, not rated for indoor use.

So, is there a reason I just paid over $100 for this thing over the coleman stove? They both product CO I'm assuming at the same rate, they both use propane bottles, and with the new heater I can't even make coffee. What am I missing? Why wouldn't I return this thing and go back to my original plan of using my coleman stove?

It's all in your "safety comfort level"
The carbon monoxide pumped out on a stove compared to that of what you would get out of the heater would be more. The Mr Heater has a built in monoxide auto shut off.

If you have lots of ventilation or out in the open with a wind blind your fine with the stove but if your in a hut with very little to no ventilation , you want to be carful .

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:04 am 
Walleye Fry

wheel wrote:

If your going to cook or boil once in a while, then go with the stove. Lot's of Huts use them - I believe though, you will appreciate the increase of warmth that a Buddy will throw opposed to the C Stove. In either case just make sure you VENT.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:09 am 
Walleye Fry

TintWizard wrote:
Ah ok, if it says Mr Heater on the packaging , you should be good to go without the filter then. I just know that people have made the mistake of buying any old black extension thinking its the same but because of needing the filter , they are not the same. They must have changed it from thier trademark green hose

Mr Heater and there Hose spec's:

The Mr. Heater Buddy Series 10' Propane Hose Assembly is great for connecting low-pressure appliances with high-pressure systems and can connect appliances to 1 lb. bottles or 5 - 20 lb. tanks. The rubber and brass fittings with hand-tighten swivels offer easy connection, and the hose is designed to eliminate the need for a fuel filter. Male throwaway cylinder thread. Soft nose flow P.O.L. with a handwheel.

Features and Benefits
- Great for connecting low-pressure appliances with high-pressure systems
- Connects appliances to 1 lb. bottles or 5 - 20 lb. tanks
- Rubber and brass fittings offer a tight, durable connection
- Hand-tighten swivels for easy set up
- Eliminates the need for a fuel filter- 10' hose
- Male throwaway cylinder thread
- Soft nose flow P.O.L. with a handwheel

I have the same hose - call me careful but I have an in-line filter attached to it. All propane tank re-fill centres are not the same - as are some gas stations that have water contaminant. I just figured for 12 bucks, why take the chance and screw up a $100 + Heater.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:22 am 
Walleye Angler

Good and informative forum post !

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:25 pm 
Guppy

The Buddy Heater is the way to go. reliable and light weight.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:59 pm 
Guppy

I have a Coleman BlackCat Catalytic Heater http://www.coleman.com/product/2000004165#.Up_cyGx3vcs
I understand that they produce LESS carbon monoxide than a stove would. Mine is very easy to light, pumps out the heat (used in a Clam 2000 hut) and doesn't weigh much at all. I too refill the 1LB tanks. As long as you have the hardware to do so and can do it as per instructions then go for it. BUT you are NOT aloud to transport refilled 1LB tanks... :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:00 pm 
Guppy

forgot to say, yes I can heat food/drinks on mine on high heat if needed as I have done it in the past. Not cooking heat at all, but it does heat up pre-cooked food rather well in the hut.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:51 am 
Walleye

Damn, I never expected such a thread. Awesome to see all the input though. On my Xmas list right at the top is the BIG Mr Heater.
We'll see what Santa Clause does.

Wes

Last edited by WesRams on Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:39 pm 
Walleye

Buddy is the way to go just vent a bit and all good

banner ad