banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ice fishing safety
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:23 am 
Minnow

Looking at doing some ice fishing this year, likely with my son and some of his friends. Got the hut/heater/rods etc. Now considering safety equipment and looking for thoughts.

It looks like the pros wear float suits. I looked, those are not going to be in the budget.

It looks like the weekend warriors such as myself don't do anything - just show up, cut a hole and start fishin'.

I'm wondering if perhaps somewhere in between there's a reasonable compromise? Would some rope be handy? Should I bring along a life jacket/vest? Or is it float suit or nothing for safety?

Post subject: Re: Ice fishing safety
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:41 am 
Walleye Master

a life jacket is better than nothing, rope I always good, but the biggest safety tip of all is know the ice. 4 inches in one area might be 2 inches in another area close. it can be tricky

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:49 am 
Walleye Catcher

A rope is a good idea, but also some ice picks if you do go through you can pull yourself out. Float suits are definitely nice, but for less money you can get float jackets as well, my friend has one, can't remember what he paid for it though. Also an ice spud is very valuable to test the ice in front of you, remember there are high current areas throughout the bay and the difference between 6" and 1" can be a few feet, so be careful. Good luck

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:54 am 
Guppy

Thinking about Ice Fishing this year?
&
Why should you Hire a guide?

If this is your first Ice fishing experience I highly recommend you hire a professional company / guide. for the price you pay for a professional guided trip not only will you learn what to look for, such as safe ice conditions but you will be put onto good fishing spots, learn techniques that may otherwise take you years of frustration to figure out on your own, you will get the use of the proper gear which can be very expensive and get a good idea if it is something you want to do before you buy your own gear, and you can choose what type of fish you want to go fishing for. different guides / companies, will charter for different species of fish. this site is a good starting point to look for guides, (myself included). There are several legitimate guides on this site, It also gives current up to date safety reports of ice conditions

As for floatation suits and budget, what is your, or your kids life worth? I personally think that the floatation suit is the minimum safety gear you should be wearing on the ice. I understand that is an expensive piece of kit, however the reality is it can save your life and if, and when it does, then will you be asking if it was worth the money? there are several other pieces of safety gear you should be brining with you on top of the floatation suit, some of these items are, floating rope, ice picks, spud bar, portable heater, a blanket, and always fish with a buddy, just to name a few.

always consider the ice to be (for lack of a better word) unsafe. the ice can change within minutes, however if you do go out there then always be prepared. hope this helped.
Stay safe this season and good luck

James Mathias
Sea's The Day Fishing / ice fishing charters
343-333-2800

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:40 pm 
Minnow

As far as guide's go, I've used guides on this site before and on numerous other occasions. I've hired two guides this year already plus rented an ice hut. I'll use them again if I want to catch fish - when I care about catching fish. Mostly, I don't care. People have been ice fishing for eon's with nothing more than an upturned bucket and a hole in the ice - and that's what I'm looking for. And for that type of thing, guides have a lot of cons. Cost is one, if I want to go ice fishing regularly, I'm not interested in spending 1000's this winter just so I can drop a hole in the ice and spend some quality time with my family. The other con is that I may just decide on a whim to go ice fishing. With a guide everything's going to have to be planned. I'm not seeking the services of a guide. I was seeking information from experts on simple safety tips.

As for the comment about what my kid's safety is worth, I'll skip dignifying that with a reply.

I'll give you some advice in return, as someone who makes a living promoting on the internet. If you're going to use forums and social media to promote your business, your best bet is to provide useful and informative advice without shilling your services. Trying to keep pushing your services directly just pisses people off - that's not why they came here. Promoting yourself as an expert is what works. Then when people are actually seeking your services, they'll go to you because they want to deal with an expert, not a salesperson. It takes longer to do it that way, but it's the only thing that works. What you've posted is closer to the category of spammer than expert guide.

Safety question <> buy services
Safety question <> implication that OP is to cheap to care about family's safety
Safety question=safety answer from pro.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:38 pm 
Guppy

Listen I was not replying to promote my services to be honest it was just a thought. 2nd, if all you are looking for is to sit on an over turned bucket in front of a hole in the ice the safety factor is still the number one concern for you or for anyone that is with you. I was not implying you do not care about your kids safety either, I merely suggested that be the question you should ask yourself when you take them out as I do when I take my kids. Honestly I was trying to put myself in your shoes when I was answering your original question, I obviously failed with my answer, my apologies. so in short yes a floatation suit is still one of the best options when heading out onto the ice in my personal opinion.

again stay safe out there
cheers

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:25 pm 
Walleye Master

when you hear reports of 6 or 8 inches of ice in an area like big bay its safe no float suit needed go out sit on a bucket and fish away, if you plan to fish early ice. humm better watch your step one too many can spell disaster in the wrong area at the wrong time.
Ice picks and float suits , ropes, and a friend are a must if you wanna try your luck on thin ice.
Happy fishing.Grizz

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:17 pm 
Walleye Master

Hi Wheel. First off let me say good for you on coming to the form here to ask your questions and making safety a priority. You will meet alot of experienced vets on here that know Ice and the Bay. If floater suits are out of your budget that is fine as they are expensive so to be safe just wait for good Ice and follow the crowd and a path. I would not suggest you explore early ice without some buddies and proper gear. A regular life vest can provide enough flotation to keep you up but they don't do much for the effects of the cold water. A rope can be your best friend and a spud is a must but also invest in a good set of Ice Picks as they can get you out when you have nothing to grab. Not everyone gets much Ice time and they have limited experience when it comes to Ice and that is fine so you made the right choice to come here and ask. The guys have given you some solid advice on the Ice here on the bay. It is a high current body of water and the conditions can vary dramatically over a few yards. There are areas in the Bay that are known for good Ice such as Big Island out from Wager Farms so keep an eye on the forum here and don't be afraid to ask as there are many good guys here that will help you make a good and safer choice. Give me a shout sometime when you are ready to come this way and maybe we can get them young lads out and into some fish.... Fred.....

Fishy Fishy In The Bay, Bite This Line And Make My Day....

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:44 am 
Walleye Wisdom

good advice fred,when your ready to go out wheel i would suggest posting on the quinte site that you are new to ice fishing and the area and tell people what you want to do and i guarantee someone on this site will help you out and get you on some good ice.just ask and if a guy like fred fisher offers you a day out i would take him up on it.good luck and take care and dont be affraid to ask questions on this site the guys are pretty good on helping each other out and it helps if you can post some info back at some point and just because you see someone post 6 inches of ice on the bay please dont take that means there is 6 incches all over because that will not be the case.as far as safety equiptment goes here we go rope,picks,life jacket of some sort,spud,bright colour clothing and tell someone where you are going and check the ice yourself at all times.i hope you have some fun with your kids and dont let people nock your ideas for haveing some fun on the ice with your family and freinds just because you cant afford thousands of dollars worth of gear.i fished safely for years without all tha fancey gear,again just be smart and ask.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:52 am 
Walleye

A few more points on ice safety. I don’t have a floater suit myself. But I’m careful.
When walking on thin ice (say less than 5 or 6 inches) take these precautions:
Two ice picks are important as said in an earlier post (they can also be two old screw drivers each with a hole drilled in the handle, or 8 inch nails) especially if by yourself. IT IS IMPORTANT to have the picks tied to your wrists with short pieces of chord (not stuck in your pockets). That way they are at hand if you go through.
A rope or an ice auger can be used as a reaching aid to save a buddy who has fallen through . Search “ice rescue” on you tube, it shows all the details. Approach the thin ice by crawling on your belly or rolling, when you do get out don’t stand up but instead roll or crawl back to the safe ice.
When walking , assemble your ice auger before going out on the ice and carry it held horizontally at your waist. If you suddenly fall through the auger will spread your weight over the ice a couple of feet to either side. This will hopefully stop you waist deep.
Another key piece of safety equipment is your car keys. If you are venturing onto thin ice make sure they’re in a zippered pocket above your waist. If you have fallen through and got soaked from the waist down you don’t want to be rummaging in wet, freezing pockets to get your keys. Time is critical. You want to get to your car asap, start the engine and change into a set of dry clothes that are in your car. These simple precautions can be the difference between an unpleasant soaking and a serious case of hypothermia.
In general, a prime reason for non-uniform ice thickness is the presence of current and turbulence under the ice that pushes deeper, warmer water to the surface. This both slows the rate of ice formation in areas where the current is present and can melt away the bottom of the surface of the ice even when air temperature is -2C or so (depending on the strength of the current). Here's a lsit of safety rules
1. Stay away from areas of high current. Avoid rivers, creeks and river mouths
2. Avoid narrows in lakes or between lakes since they can have currents due to water level changes which will move large volumes water through the narrows.
3. Avoid open water (stay more than 1 km away from large expanses of open water).
4. If there is open water with an offshore wind that tends to push the ice toward the water then stay off the ice altogether.
5. Be careful at the shoreline and in swamps
6. Avoid thick Snow on thin ice
7. The safest ice travel is walking on foot and probing with a spud.
8. Stay off ice altogether in spring (after numerous freeze thaw cycles). See the attachment for more detail.
The bad news is that the B of Q is closer to a river system than to a stagnant bay so you’re pushing against rule 1 by being out there at all. Small back lakes with little water flow in and out of them tend to be safest in the early season since they have very little current. A glance at a map shows that the Trent, Moira and Salmon rivers flow out through telegraph narrows. Add the Napanee River flow to all of that to get the flow through Long Reach.
The good news about the B of Q is that there are usually lots of people especially if the fishing is good. Follow tracks and don’t venture too far from the crowd and you’ll be okay.
Floater suits
I’ve heard that the big walleye like to mill in slow current regions under the ice. That makes spots with high current like Long Reach (and yikes, Telegraph Narrows) tempting targets. Fishing in places like that violate a couple of the rules listed above: avoid areas with high current, avoid open water. If you’re going to push the envelope regarding the basic safety rules listed above, yep, wear a floater suit.
I myself don’t fish in those locations.
Current and Knowing the Ice
A bit more on current. There are 2 main origins of current: gravity driven current and wind driven current. The good thing about gravity driven current is that it tends to be consistent in terms of location. The high current areas that have thinnest ice are also the areas that freeze last. It’s good if you can observe the ice forming since this gives a good idea of where the high current areas are.
Note however that gravity driven current can vary a lot with time. If there is a December thaw with warm rain at +5 C there will be a surge in the flow of creeks and rivers due to the combination of the rain itself and the snow that the rain melts. When it is freezing again a day or two later the increased current will not stop immediately but will slowly dissipate. A cold day after rain will give the impression that most of the ice is safe: frozen puddles in the parking lot, cold top surface of the ice, but the high current areas, e.g. Long Reach will still be even dicier than usual for a couple of days after the rainfall.
Wind driven current requires open water. A safe thing about small back lakes is that once they freeze over completely there is no wind driven current. The opposite extreme are the big lakes where wind driven currents will change in speed, direction band location as the wind shifts. The wind driven current will not immediately stop at the edge of the ice but . This all makes the ice quite dangerous for bodies of water with a lot of exposed open water. \
A particularly bad situation is open water with the wind offshore so that it pushes the ice toward the open water. This situation happened a few years back on Lake Simcoe when a number of ice fisherman took an “unscheduled cruise” on a giant ice flow that blew off shore.
I was thinking of making up a comedy routine called “You know you’re a technogeek when…..”
With apologies to Jeff Fox worthy.
“You know you’re a technogeek when you talk about the latent heat of freezing on a fishing website” :lol:
Anyway, the attachment goes on at length in excruciating detail about ice thickness uniformity and other ice related phenomena.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:48 am 
Walleye

wow.. quite the explanation on ice formation and disintegration.. thanks for posting it was interesting!

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:50 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Agreed, very informative!!

Great read

banner ad
banner ad