banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Eaters vs. breeders
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:17 pm 
Perch

A Quinte 8 to 10 pounder (28+ incher) is likely a younger fish still, than many a Northern Ontario 4 to 5 (24+ incher) And mercury levels in both are likely close to the same, with the chances of higher levels actually going to the Northern fish. Eyes are hardly at all tested for other pollutants that trout species are, because their fats barely hold levels anywhere near what the trouts do. In other words, Lake Ontario walleyes (and one can check with the Guide to eating Ontario sportfish) have generally higher and safer consumption guidelines for larger fish overall.

Not saying keep big fish and do prefer smaller most myself, but saying that following MNR regulations, you can feel safe about eating the odd larger walleye over the 24.8. Each year, I end up taking one or two overs home simply because, A) they weren't likely going to release well, B) fish are food to me when and where allowed, as much as they are enjoyment, and C) a real thick, juicy fillet BBQ'd on a cedar plank then smothered with maple-garlic buttered baby scallops, is quite a healthy delicious meal.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:00 pm 
Jumbo Perch

I seem to run into enough small schools under 20 inches so I just take those to eat. I really am not a fan of the taste of anything much larger, or the larger fillets. That being said a 5 lb walleye out of the bay is a lot younger than 5 lbrs in most other waterbodies, so don't feel too bad if that's all ya got for the fryer that day.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:29 am 
Walleye Angler

I believe lots of snow and spring run off creating prime spawning conditions has more to do with a good year class than the # off huge spawners, habitat over #'s. It was 77 the year we had snow to the hydro wires that turned the bay around with lowest # of spawners.

I think they bake those 15 lbers.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:23 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Like most said, I prefer eating smaller ones...like 2-3 lbr's ideally. I won't keep one over 6lb's if they will swim away (in zone 20), nothing over 4lbs in back lakes...although i don't really fish back lakes for walleye since the slot came in as I like to eat them and don't catch enough to be that picky. I do think that low end of the slot (15.7") is silly though...that's a prime eater in my books. I don't eat the big ones more due to the contaminants' issue than the breeding issue. I'm not sure an old 15lb sow is really a prime breeder...just wouldn't want to eat one due to the amount of time it's been swimming in polluted water. I have eaten an 8lbr once as it wasn't going to make it. It tasted fine...just do like pdubya said and trim away the dark meat along the lateral line...it tastes awful. As far as the contaminent build up, I believe it's more in the fat of the belly then the dark meat.

Don't forget the cheeks. mmmm :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:14 pm 
Minnow

TheDL wrote:
Don't forget the cheeks. mmmm :D

And the wings (Scott at westlake willows showed us these). We fried up the wings and cheeks after we got back from fishing - it was a great snack along with a beer.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:19 am 
Walleye

Yes zone 17 slot is doing very well fishing on rice has improved a lot for walleye but on the other hand I see so many dead fish over the slot dead floating at the bottom of locks in the water it's a shame not pointing finger but a lot of these fishing people that keep everything they catch and throw in a bucket have no respect for walleye rip hooks right out and throw back it really pisses me off I even got some of these so called bucket fishing guys on video keeping 4 and 5 pound walleye right at lock 19 in Peterborough

banner ad