Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Fish Mounts
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:41 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Ok....hand in hand with my other post, I am curios why anglers have fish mounted now a days, with so many different ways to preserve the memories...way back when, I had a few fish I caught mounted (3 to be exact) but have no desire to do it now. Now of course back then there were no Gopro cameras or other small portable cameras so keeping a fish was for the memories which is probably why most guys did it. Now with so many different ways to preserve the memories I think fish mounts are "obsolete" I use my Gopro all the time and post my videos on the tube so my friends from around the world can check them out and make fun of me. Again I have no issues with someone that does it and can appreciate the magic of a trophy fish (yes Hammer I know yours was 1/2lb bigger) I am impressed with the replica mounts and wonder how they compare to a skin mount cost wise.

www.limestonecityfishingcharters.com
YouTube Jim Lyon Fishing

Post subject: Re: Fish Mounts
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:54 pm 
Walleye Master

replica's are usually two to three times more than the respective skin mount.

recently I had a friend skin mount a 14lbs 13 ounce walleye. $410 dollars and it was an amazing mount.

I had another friend get an advanced tax mount of an 11lbs 2 ounce walleye. all said and done he was over a grand for his mount....

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:09 pm 
Walleye Catcher

steve-hamilton wrote:
I had another friend get an advanced tax mount of an 11lbs 2 ounce walleye. all said and done he was over a grand for his mount....

8O WOW! Is that typical? I would never pay that. I don't think replicas look as good as skin mounts...not the ones I've seen anyway. I've never mounted one, but might someday. I have no problem with anyone who does as long as it's legal. There's plenty of worse things for our beloved fisheries then a handful of sportsman keeping a trophy once in a while. I would say that's a drop in the bucket compared to some other practices' impacting these migratory beauties.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:21 pm 
Walleye Master

from Advanced Tax ... well ... they are considered the best ... and when your the best ...

just the cost to put the fish on drift wood was surprising.

the skin mount came priced on a piece of drift wood.

advanced tax it was extra.

its the only example I'm aware of.....to at least provide a direct comparison.

I know of other folks who have had fish done by advanced and you will pay for it.....after all, it will last you a lifetime and is considered "art" by many.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:26 pm 
Walleye Catcher

you got a pic of this $1000 mount? I haven't shopped for a mount before but likely will some day and can't imagine paying that much

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:33 pm 
Walleye Master

I'm glad to see this post...I caught a 12 lbs 5 ounce Wally a few weeks ago (my PB) and was considering getting a replica mount. I sent an email to Advanced Taxidermy to see if I could get a rough estimate on price. They replied back, and said there are a few more factors other than measurements and pics to determine the price, and for me to give them a call to talk about it. I know replica mounts are much more expensive than skin mounts, but that seems a little overboard.
If it's going to be $1000 or more, I guess I better wait till I hit the 15 pound mark...lol

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:38 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Whatever you guys and gals decide to mount just make sure you at least buy it dinner first. :wink:

Ass Monkey

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:44 pm 
Walleye Master

assmonkey wrote:
Whatever you guys and gals decide to mount just make sure you at least buy it dinner first. :wink:

Good One!!! I did buy it dinner...a $12.99 TDD11

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:17 am 
Walleye

I had a 14 lb walleye skin mount done a couple of years ago, checked with a number of taxidermists and most were $400 to $500, but I found a guy in Cambridge that did it for $280, and I was a bit concerned about what I would get at that price, but he did a great job. I can look up his name if anyone is interested.

As to replicas, I have a couple, but its just not the same. And they will build to any size you want as long as you pay, so whenever I see a replica, I wonder how much bigger it might be than the real fish that was caught.

Gotta agree though that pictures and videos pretty much satisfy the ability to relive the memory, it would have to be a real monster for me to spend on another mount.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:28 am 
Walleye Catcher

I can got in done in the States for 10$ an inch. Still looking for that 13+ :roll:

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:54 am 
Walleye Angler

To me a replica is just a plastic fish. You can order anything you want in any size you want and if you want it baby blue and pink you can have that too. A photo does it for me. Pictures are cheap and my bad photos are worth the price. Not sure how I do it but my small fish look big and my big fish look small but my best memories are in my head. I forget what I had for lunch but not my fishing trips.

banner ad