Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 11:28 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Newb Here
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:55 pm 
Baitfish

hey guys, I'm new to the board, from Newmarket, On, i usually fish simcoe and northern lakes for lakers and whities. This year i really want to try my luck for some eyes. I hope to learn some things and share my experience with you guys. I am looking to get out to the bay sometime next week, i have never been down there but have heard real good things. I have got a couple spots plotted out (potters creek and Onderdonk) i know where potters is but am having trouble finding the access point for Onderdonk, if any of you guys could get me started and some spots to try, baits to use, what lb test line to use, etc., it would be greatly appreciated! thanks for any help!

Post subject: Re: Newb Here
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:23 pm 
Minnow

heres a link to a posting with maps.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18072

Onderdonks
"There are two spots on Rednersville road with $2.00 pay for parking. If coming from Belleville the first is on the right (north side) big garage right out front. The second is a little further down on left (south side) empty field with a old hay wagon in it."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:54 pm 
Baitfish

thanks for the info, ya someone sent that map to me a little while ago, the problem is, i don't get where exactly the garage is lol, i tried to find it on google maps using satellite view but couldn't find it, sorry if i sound like a newb here but I'm not familiar with the area at all, thx!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:01 pm 
Minnow

try street view ,maybe.ive never been to onderdonks myself im just going by postings

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:40 am 
Baitfish

ok, i found something similar to the description, except on the opposite side from what is said, what spot would you recommend for a newb to try out, also what lb line? i hear there are jumbos in there too, ittl be my first time out, so i don't want to get skunked, its a long drive, thanks for any help! Feel free to PM!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:51 pm 
Baitfish

wow, 170 views and only 1 guy replying, come on guys, I'm not asking for your hotspots, just the general area where the fishing is best right now, and a place to park, can anyone tell me where to park at Onderdonks or where Wagers farm is? i appreciate any help!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:23 pm 
Baitfish

sent you a pm

keith

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:30 pm 
Walleye

All the locals go out and get skunked. It's not that nobody wants to help but if you have that map and read all the previous posts you will get the info that you need. I have fished 4 different spots this year and have gotten fish every outing, so they seem to be pretty spread out. I use 10lb test line as long as your drag is set right you won't have issues. All the info you need is here you just might have to search for it on this forum.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:31 pm 
Jumbo Perch

WalleyeNewb do alittle search through the threads and the site, it will answer all your questions, if you want to learn and educate yourself there is tons of information, most guys get tired of spoonfeeding people information to everyone. In the last week people have got fish at Huffs, Potters, Bayside, Onderdonks go to a spot a check it out. My advice is if you have cell phone download the Navonics App and fish the contours at any of the spots. If you need directions search the spot you want to go to and check out all the threads that come up.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:15 pm 
Baitfish

thank you everyone, i will search through some older posts, also do you think 8 pound line would be too light? I'm guessing 4 lb is too light? thanks and Merry Christmas!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:48 pm 
Walleye Catcher

4lb definitely too light. Might be able to land a lunker, but you'd have to play it till it was dead with light drag. 8lb might be ok, I use 10-20lb braid with a 14lb flouro leader. Good luck out there. That link above is your best info for spots. I've not been to quinte this winter so I can't tell you where they are biting, but as others have said recent posts will give you some hints.

Merry Christmas!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:47 pm 
Baitfish

thank you, ya i plan on using 8 lb line, maybe 4 lb when the perch are around, Merry Christmas to you too!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:15 pm 
Walleye Angler

Walleye Newb......Maybe take that map along....don't underestimate its worth, as it shows most, if not all of the so called Hotspots...at least the ones with parking...they can all be hot(or cold!) one day, or at a certain time, and maybe not so much on another day, or at a certain time. All depends on lots of different factors....fishing pressure,weather,time,presentation,lure,experience,ect,ect,ect. I think 8lb is a little light.... but.... everyones different....and I have used it myself ,as well as 10,12 and 14 lb....one point on that is you risk losing a monster a little more so than a heavier line, and with a dramatically lighter line you might have to really play it out ...and some might say thats harder on the fish....Using a flasher would up your chances dramatically as well....as for finding the Onderdonks parking, or any others mentioned, you will see them..in the areas the map describes ....I have found both Onderdonks spots without using any landmarks ,just drove down that road and looked for them. Good luck (THAT ALSO HELPS) and a Merry Christmas to you and yours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:01 pm 
Baitfish

thank you little dog! i will try to find onderdonks but i think i will hit potters creek first, then decide on either big island or onderdonks, Merry Christmas to you too sir!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:03 pm 
Walleye

Do you guys really think flouro helps, especially when using relatively big spoons with minnows attached?

banner ad