Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 4:35 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:32 pm 
Walleye

Ok guys I need some advice. I bought an ice 45 flasher last year and used it a bit but found it very frustrating as I would mark fish but couldn't get them to bite! I started leaving it at home but decided to try it again this year. I had some better success with it the few times I was out earlier but today I must have marked 15-20 good fish and couldn't get any of them to bite! I was ready to stuff it down the hole lol. I tried bringing my lure up slow and most would follow but then disappear? I tried different things to try and intice them but nothing worked! I was just wondering what other people do to get the fish to bite? Should I try more minnows? Smaller lures? Use just minnow heads? Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thx Sunny!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:50 pm 
Walleye Master

Take it away from them by lifting it slowly as this will often entice a strike. You basically have to tick them off when they are not feeding. Also try just a minnow head or sometimes you may have to try 2 minnows until you figure out what they want. Also try a very short jiggle action followed up by a 2 foot lift then drop. Try and avoid dropping below the fish as it will often spook them a bit. Just keep trying and you will get them to hook. If all else fails.... KFC....LoL Fred...

Fishy Fishy In The Bay, Bite This Line And Make My Day....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:44 pm 
Minnow

all i do is just keep bugging them and let it sit still a bit i find thats when they usually hit jiggle jiggle sit for 15 seconds lift jiggle jiggle sit still

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:22 pm 
Walleye

Thx for the advice guys will try those things you mentioned. Also do you think it matters if you hook the minnow through the head or is it better to hook it thru the back?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:32 pm 
Walleye

IMO: Put the hook through the head - fish tends to take bait head first.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:32 am 
Walleye

Try short little jigs just a small snap of wrist just keep watching your mark when our green jig mark turns red and thick you know it's close I find a lift of two or three feet and stop it right in front of his nose and sit still they hammer it or if mark is yellow it could be a small perch or something just keep trying if there biting they will hit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:55 am 
Walleye

Thx guys going out to try it now!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:29 am 
Walleye Angler

Yesterday I read a post that mentioned that the walleye weren't hitting until closer to the ice. This helped me land my 1 walleye last night. I was marking a few, but they wouldn't commit.
Then as I started marking fish I would start reeling in keeping just ahead of the fish and then pause about 4ft under the ice when it would hit. Valuable info is all over this board, you just have use that info to your advantage.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:45 am 
Jumbo Perch

When the fish aren't cooperating with the rise and pause techniques I find he KiSS method works best. Keep doing whatever it was that attracted the fish in the first place. If you were jigging aggressively...keep doing it. If you were slowly moving your presentation around the hole...keep doing it. If it managed to get their attention sometimes changing your presentation can have the opposite effect. Just my 2 cents.

Tight lines

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:05 am 
Site Admin

I completely agree about getting the fish to rise. I have caught quite a few fish within 3 ft of the hole. It seems the higher u can get them to rise the more likely to bite.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:06 am 
Walleye

Thx boys we are 3 for 7 with 2 missed at the hole! Still lots of marks but getting some to bite! All over 4lbs!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:09 pm 
Walleye

A lot has to do with weather the pressure dropping will trigger an aggressive bite over cast days a cold front or weather change everyday is different
Why I enjoy fishing walleye they are a challenge and not easy to catch plus good to eat a few

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:27 am 
Jumbo Perch

Everyday seems to be different. Ice three the other day, first one never even came up, green light flashed and he hammered it. The next two I had to call in with a clacking rap and once they appeared I dropped down my lil finn. Still had to work them and had one a good 6 ft off bottom before he bit. Both of them I still had keep jigging aggressively to keep their interest. The other 3 guys without flashers got skunked, they are amazing tools and well worth the money.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:24 am 
Perch

Everyone, just re-joined the board. Had an account years ago but forgot my username so had to create a new account.

Was out last Friday, marked lots but same issue couldn't get them to bite. Followed my jig up and down but no takers. Finally I reeled my line almost to the top and it it drop until about 2 feet from the bottom. When the line tightened and the jig bounced that's when it finally hit. 11lber.

Buddy and I caught one each. He couldn't get them to bite either, tried everything and finally hooked one by moving jig/line side to side in the hole (no he didn't snag the fish :D ). No takers when jigging up and down.

Going back out Sunday wife permitting.
Keep safe.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:48 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

Do the same thing you where doing to bring them in but add a longer pause and higherr in the water column.