Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 2:23 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: You gotta be kidding me
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:04 pm 
Walleye

So today I head out with a buddy in the am and do my best to get him onto some quinte gold for his first time.
The humminbird lights up pretty quick and the action is consistent but it's tough getting commitment out of the walleye. So after about 2 hours of figuring out their attitude and what they want we start to find some success. No one within 2000+ yards of us when suddenly there are eyes pearing in through the 5 inch vent hole in my Nanook door as we are just landing a nice little 4 pounder. 20 minutes later he's setting up within spitting distance from our location. There was at least 50 acres of identical ice with much the same for bottom features.
I certainly don't mind helping a dude out if asked but come on this was a bit much for me. Hopefully I'm not out of line.....

Anyhow, it was a good day on the ice. Iced 9 in total and my partner for the day went home with 3 nice little eaters for his hard work and patience. Pretty sure he's "hooked" now.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:07 pm 
Walleye Angler

I think I recognize that shoreline to, guesse they all look alike.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:09 pm 
Walleye

blackriverfisherman wrote:
I think I recognize that shoreline to, guesse they all look alike.

LOL

Yea there seem to be more and more of these shorelines showing up eh.....

Wes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:14 pm 
Walleye Master

I see that pretty much every time I go out. Other than the big storm cloud in the background....lol I thought it was normal. Did they run a gas auger for 5+ minutes straight to drill 2 holes?? Seems like a common thing.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:17 pm 
Walleye Angler

Probably a newish fisherman to ice fishing that doesn't know the proper etiquette and assumed that you knew what you were doing and followed suit.
You went to a lot of trouble to black out the surroundings, you are a secretive fella. LOL

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:22 pm 
Walleye Angler

I dont get it, it makes me laugh, If you guys were around when the villages were on the ice, like the pic that someone had posted of the bay years ago, good thing a lot of you guys dont hunt . might be ice rage. lol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:35 pm 
Walleye Fry

Call them squeezers.

WesRams wrote:
So today I head out with a buddy in the am and do my best to get him onto some quinte gold for his first time.
The humminbird lights up pretty quick and the action is consistent but it's tough getting commitment out of the walleye. So after about 2 hours of figuring out their attitude and what they want we start to find some success. No one within 2000+ yards of us when suddenly there are eyes pearing in through the 5 inch vent hole in my Nanook door as we are just landing a nice little 4 pounder. 20 minutes later he's setting up within spitting distance from our location. There was at least 50 acres of identical ice with much the same for bottom features.
I certainly don't mind helping a dude out if asked but come on this was a bit much for me. Hopefully I'm not out of line.....

Anyhow, it was a good day on the ice. Iced 9 in total and my partner for the day went home with 3 nice little eaters for his hard work and patience. Pretty sure he's "hooked" now.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:38 am 
Walleye Master

looks like they walked out and toted a fair bit of gear with them. so wes did you park at one of the VERY FEW ICE ACCESS POINTS like most people have to? you do know people will fish year after year in the same general area because like you did they have luck there so they will go there no matter if there is another shack or 10 shacks in the area its the bay of quinte visited by thousands each weekend if everyone wanted 100 feet space to there own it would become you must take a number and wait to be called lol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:28 am 
Walleye

Well I guess it looks like I was out of line to comment according to the majority of the remarks. I appreciate all the comments.
When out on the ice i'll try to have a fresh pot of coffee on for all my neighbors lol.

Wes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:44 am 
Walleye Fry

Stay off rice, Scugog and simcoe if you can't handle a neighbour. I personally go outside the group if possible and stay minimum 100 feet away but I can't control what others do and will not get in a pissy mood if someone moves in close, it just ruins my day. After all I'm there to relax and unwind from the workweek and hopefully get the bonus of catching some fish. I rarely tell people what's going on for real under my shack, just yesterday on Simcoe I had to guys come up and sit in front of my shack asking if there was any action. Because my flasher was lit up like a Christmas tree And these guys looked as if they would come sit beside me in my hut if I told them. I dropped my lure to the bottom and said nope nothing going on here. They stayed chatting for a agonizing 5 minutes asking a million questions. I sent them out deep saying people out in the morning seemed to do ok. Turns out that it was just some herring hanging around and I landed and released 5 of them.

P.S. You say you brought a buddy out and you shared a hut. If he had his own hut or some others came with you would you tell them to move away? Didn't think so!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:08 am 
Walleye Master

WesRams wrote:
Well I guess it looks like I was out of line to comment according to the majority of the remarks. I appreciate all the comments.
When out on the ice i'll try to have a fresh pot of coffee on for all my neighbors lol.

I don't think it's out of line. I could understand if there were already a bunch of people out, then there may be no other choice to set up close to someone. If it's like you say it was, and there was a wide open area, then I don't see a need for it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:38 am 
Walleye

I can understand your frustration Wes. Just because our favorite spots are more and more pressured and more and more people are going out, it doesnt mean we have to like when someone parks rite on top of us to fish. Especially after they just watch you land a fish and do so. We all have to learn to fish in more pressured areas but it is unfortunate. Just makes you appreciate the days your out and do get to have a large area to yourself just a little more.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:44 am 
Jumbo Perch

not pickin sides here but maybe the guy had the spot on a gps from a past fishing trip and you are close to his spot

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:57 am 
Walleye Angler

What annoys me is when someone sets up so close it causes interference on my flasher.

75 feet or so of separation is all I need to be happy.

Maple

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:46 am 
Minnow

It's sounds a little inappropriate to me that someone would peer through the vents of a shack! I often stop and ask how's the fishing etc, just to be conversational, but I won't set up on top of a guy either. Different strokes I guess!