Tourism
Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:02 pm 
Walleye Angler

Can spit a long way for such a princess.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:22 pm 
Goby

Well I don't much post much hear and I usually fish in spring and
Fall but I gather just by you blacking out the shore line you would prefer if no one fished around you when did we stop helping other brothers if you were in a boat would this be an issue for safety reasons only and all the issues the bay has offered this year shall we forget we are stronger and safer in numbers you should have went over and introduce yourself I would hate to see a report where someone passed away due to health issues and no one around to help .

Just my 2 cents enjoy the board

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:54 pm 
Walleye Angler

Peering in your hut is a little creepy.......and his hut looks close in the picture, especially if their were just two huts...access from a parking lot(if that was the case) is going to bring people though (like Grizz said).......and was that even on the Bay, because it looks like a back lake I go to called Black Marker near the town of Madness! :P Valid points on both sides......

Last edited by littledog on Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:15 pm 
Goby

I do not think you are out of line at all, the peering into your hut move was a little sketchy.

Now I feel bad... went out to Thompsons point on Thursday and setup 30ft from a permanent hut but only because we marked it on the GPS a couple years back. 20 minutes later a 4 wheeler came out and moved it 50ft away. If that is another member, sorry.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:24 pm 
Walleye Angler

I don't normally ice fish ( am considering it ) but I once freespooled a muskie till the boat that stopped to ask if I was having any luck left.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:57 pm 
Walleye Angler

Here's a blast from the past, Trent River 1982 when close was fun.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:02 pm 
Site Admin

Cool picture. thanks for posting that

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:02 pm 
Walleye

You gotta be kidding me !! It's not the setting up on top off hut that would bother me but the looking through the window or vent hole I would have lost it but that is just me
I don't mind sharing spots or tips but that is just plain out ignorant wow should of grabbed a big glass of ice water lol :) or blew smoke out vent lol

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:09 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

That brings back a lot of good memories Hutchy , We used to have a couple of large shacks at the skyway bridge back in the early eightys , many times guy's would come up and sit right beside your hut to get out of the wind , educating them on proper manners was usually all it took lots of times we would just invite them in ,made a lot of good friends back then , threatening someone over ice fishing is just silly , nobody owns the water and the guy you chirp at could be a golden gloves boxer , you would feel pretty humbled when you got up off the ice , most likely would ruin your day as well as his , BE NICE and explain the reason you have set up away from the crowd , if that doesn't work move farther away !

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:39 pm 
Walleye

All points have been interesting to read and totally understandable.
The whole safety thing was one of my thoughts as well which is a great point. I know that if I were out with my ol'man I certainly would like to remain within ear-shot of other fisherman just in case of emergency.
I did venture over to them and I kindly mentioned that I had a newbie out and was getting him hooked on a great sport. I also offered some advise on what was working for me and I introduced them to some electronic options as well to increase their success rate.
I do apologize if I offended anyone with my original post and I likely should have thought twice prior to that darn "submit" button.

Anyhow, if ya catch a whiff of fresh coffee coming from my hut, come on over for a cup.

Wes

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:50 am 
Walleye Master

Way I see it Wes is you spoke your mind at the time and there is nothing wrong with that bud. perhaps you were a little frustrated and it showed but also look at the silver lining behind that black cloud and have a smile and pat yourself on the back....... you had someone move in on you and you still did well and caught 9 fish this should show you other than the little time it took them to set up it really didn't matter probably because you were a good fisher. not because you were on a hot hole because you unlocked the secret of the day and tricked fish to eat metal..
The introduction to ATV has opened the ice to many guys they can park miles away from where they are fishing this is why I commented on this thread to begin with since I saw them walking . now if they pulled up on a sled or ATV and drilled beside you id have been a tad upset myself ..... and good on you for talking to them and helping them out in a friendly manor.
I have to think that we were all new at this at one time and had to learn. and now with the internet we introduce guys to our world on the ice they come they try some succeed , many fail Ice fishing isn't always as easy as putting a minnow on a jig dropping it in a hole and pulling out a fish even the best of the best have days where they cant catch a fish and will yell over to there buddy what you catch it on? how were you jigging? what color did you have on! . and my favorite is if you catch one more fish you are walking home! lol.
Reading your last post here shows me you are a good guy and I know if you were fishing with a friend or friends you would have no trouble fishing even closer to someone than this guy set up on you ,you just never know when you will meet a new best bud out on the ice . I think its sad when guys will get so into wanting to catch a stupid fish they they actually wanna punch someone out like someone 30-40-50 feet away is actually steeling food from your mouth .

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:02 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Every year on every forum we have this discussion. I like my space and will often walk as far away from the crowds as I can. It does piss me off when I catch a fish and some twit comes and sets up right next to me, I'm not in a shelter so there's no hiding my catches. I'm not going to start a fight over it and will usually just pack up and move again. On the other hand, as most have said if someone comes up friendly and asking advice or if I mind company no harm done I'll usually help if I can. It does suck when some bozo sets up close and cranks his flasher gain up and causes interference on mine, or makes a ruckus! As for peering in the window of your hut...that's ridiculous, not sure how I'd handle that one. As many have said though, we are a community and there's safety and comradery in groups but there needs to be some respect also!

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:34 pm 
Walleye Angler

I don't know what's worse, the fact that they pulled to within 50 feet of you, or that you felt it necessary to black out the shoreline. I don't get people. I know many of you are expert fisherman, but as for taking the time to blackout the shoreline, that seems a little extreme. Why be on a forum like this if you just on it with the express purpose of complaining and keeping secrets? I agree there should be some things kept secret, but man, unless you are putting GPS coordinates online, I don't think people will find your exact location. Kind of destroys some of the purpose of the site. Just my two cents...

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:07 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Exif data stored in the pictures shot on many phones with GPS built in will tell others where you're fishing if they're keen enough. Many photo hosting sites don't strip this data and many don't know their phones' pictures store the GPS co-ords of where it was shot. :wink:

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:19 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

Just thought I'd add my "close fishing" experience. A group of us (4) had gone out perchin on Simcoe. When doing so we usually will punch a dozen or more holes to cover an area before decided to stay or move on. While drilling the holes we had a couple of guys walk up on us and start fishing the hole before I even had a line down. Never said hello or asked if I would punch them a couple of holes to fish out of. (I've drilled many holes to other friendly walk ups before.) After some words with these guys they got the clue and move on but we couldn't believe the nerve of them.

banner ad
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next