Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 9:25 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Lake Scugog ice fishing
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:29 pm 
Walleye Master

Anybody been out since opener?? Any info/stories? Just curious. Seems strange this year to have safe ice on Quinte 2-3 weeks before Walleye opener on Scugog...lol Probably going to give it a go next Saturday.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:34 am 
Walleye Angler

Went to the Gog for the last time. January 1st cold and windy and only one Musky. Too much preasure on this lake. Year after year the number of fish caught just seem to decline. Good ice 8-12.
Hope other do better but I am done with that tradition.
Snarfy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:25 pm 
Walleye Master

Thanks for the info Snarfy...I try to avoid Scugog Jan 1st because just like any other lake, when it's an opener, it's gonna be busy. I agree with the number of Walleye declining, and I honestly think it's because of ice fishing. I believe it's the only Kawartha Lake where you are allowed to ice fish for Walleye. I fish Rice Lake quite a bit in the spring/summer and the Walleye population is way bigger than Scugog. Numbers and size. I think they should close ice fishing on Scugog for a few years to see if it makes a difference in the population. Anyhow, it's only a 30 minute drive for me, and there are some fish in there, so I don't mind giving it a shot once in awhile.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:57 pm 
Jumbo Perch

ive seen more walleye between december 15th - today than i have all of last ice fishing season.

The lake seems to be turning around.

PS. I wasn't targeting the eyes until the 1st but they were slamming "smaller" jigs early.

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:15 pm 
Guppy

The walleye population is definetely not what it once was, but hard work pays off. I have seen more walleye this year then ever before on the hard water. including 2 that were close to 9 pounds both fish came unbuttoned at the hole. but scugog has really good fish in it, not to mention amazing crappie fishing. I have already seen one pic of a 17" crappie this year

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:20 pm 
Jumbo Perch

dropshotter wrote:
The walleye population is definetely not what it once was, but hard work pays off. I have seen more walleye this year then ever before on the hard water. including 2 that were close to 9 pounds both fish came unbuttoned at the hole. but scugog has really good fish in it, not to mention amazing crappie fishing. I have already seen one pic of a 17" crappie this year

Glad to see people are experiencing the same as myself. My largest crappie so far this season was 13 inches, i couldn't imagine a 17!

We have also had some monsters snap off at the hole.

Keep at it

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:30 pm 
Walleye Master

Thanks for the info StrikerBite and dropshotter. I'm actually looking forward to getting out there now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:38 pm 
Guppy

just find the good green weeds and be right on the weedline or in the pockets, if your 5 feet of the weedline no fish. it was the differene in getting the walleye and my brother having a 5 crappie night and myself having a 25 crappie night.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:03 pm 
Jumbo Perch

dropshotter wrote:
just find the good green weeds and be right on the weedline or in the pockets, if your 5 feet of the weedline no fish. it was the differene in getting the walleye and my brother having a 5 crappie night and myself having a 25 crappie night.

+1

your day can be the difference of a few feet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:43 pm 
Walleye

The gog has some great eyes in it just need figure out what they wanna hit and find em by no means is it close to BOQ walleye fishing but it sure is fun