Resorts
Tourism
Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:53 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Catcher your wrong. In zone 20 you can only have 4 fish in your freezer from that zone. If you caught 2 walleye in another zone then you can have 6. You can not exceed a zones limit. It's the stupid fine print they put in them things!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:02 pm 
Walleye Angler

pickerel killer wrote:
Catcher your wrong. In zone 20 you can only have 4 fish in your freezer from that zone. If you caught 2 walleye in another zone then you can have 6. You can not exceed a zones limit. It's the stupid fine print they put in them things!

Where does it say that ? It says 4 daily limit but no info on possession, the mnr does not know where you caught the fish . They just want to make sure you got no more than 6 in your freezer per person.

You are right it is tricky wording . And possession appears to be 4 , but I still can't see how to enforce that . Stupid fine print indeed.

Last edited by catcher on Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm 
Site Admin

walleyed assassin wrote:
This is a hypothetical question, I know this because Grizz does not know anyone named Sam or Joe and he has never caught 4 walleye....haha Gary

Thats funny :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:11 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

It states it in the top paragraph on the page you posted. It's exactly what it states as a "provincial" limit with fish harvested from more than 1 zone. Those reg books are horrible!

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:17 pm 
Walleye Angler

pickerel killer wrote:
It states it in the top paragraph on the page you posted. It's exactly what it states as a "provincial" limit with fish harvested from more than 1 zone. Those reg books are horrible!

Ya you are right thanks for clarifying, man they are horrible .

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:18 pm 
Walleye Angler

Grizzly.........good post you started. Some good stories relayed, as well as MNR info...........still seems to be a slight variance in opinion though......I would like to know how you, would interpret Joe and Sam's situation, in regards to their continued fishing, as well as their limits of said fish, both on and off ice (IE FREEZER ISSUE) (ZONE ISSUE)(AM vs PM)......I only ask because I do find the Regulations a little hard to interpret sometimes. :?: :) :roll:

Last edited by littledog on Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:26 pm 
Jumbo Perch

This is how I would interpret the regulations.

Possession limit and daily are still partially the same. The daily limit is 4 and possession limit is 4. Therefore you can not go out catch 4 fish in the morning, go home or shore lunch, eat 4 walleye and then go back out and catch 4 more fish. You already caught 4 fish for the day and that is your daily limit, even though you ate them, and no longer in your possession, that was still your daily limit. Same as keeping 4 and putting all 4 in the freezer. You can not go out the next day and keep another 4 and put those 4 in the freezer. You are now in possession of 8 walleye.

Party fishing:

You can not party fish, just ask the group of guys fishing on Lake Simcoe. They had their limit of perch amongst 4 guys in one boat. They however did not keep their catch separate. When asked who caught what fish, they all replied similar, "we only took a total count of 200, we didn't keep tabs on who caught how many." They got charged, not exactly what the charge was. Happened in 2010.

Simply put if you keep a fish for your partner, that goes against your daily limit, even if it isn't in your possession. Now, lets say you gave a fish to your partner, and then you leave for the rest of the day. Your partner continues fishing, finally catches his limit, he could still only have in possession of 4 walleye in total.

Here is another scenario, you catch and keep 4 walleye on Monday, you give them to your wife after you cleaned and put them in the freezer. Now lets say your wife does not have a fishing license. You go out on Tuesday and catch and keep 4 walleye. Yo go home, clean them, put all 4 in the freezer. Are you now over your limit?

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:31 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Read what it says in The Ontario Possession Limits "Always check the regulations for the zone in which you are fishing to ensure you aren't exceeding the catch and possession limits for that zone" so in zone 20 the catch and possession limit is 4 NOT 6.You can have 6 in your possession only if the two other fish are caught in a different zone.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:39 pm 
Walleye Master

Catch and Possession Limits – The catch limit is the number of fish you are allowed to catch and keep in one day and includes fish that are not immediately released and any fish eaten or given away. The possession limit is the number you are allowed to have in your possession on hand, in cold storage, in transit, or anywhere. Possession limits are the same as one day’s catch limit except where otherwise specified.

This was copied out of the reg book. I did not know about the provincial limit of 6 though. Thanks for posting that catcher!!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:11 pm 
Walleye Master

Just to add...if you catch a fish out of season, or outside a "slot" and it dies, it must be released. So I'm assuming on Quinte if you have 2 fish over 24.8 that are dead, you have to get rid of one....somehow???

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:00 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Once Joe has caught and kept 4 fish he is done fishing. His possession limit for zone 20 is 4 and he can have two other eyes from another zone for a provincial possession limit of 6. Party fishing is not allowed and any fish he gives away count against his daily limit.
If he catches and keeps 4 in the morning and then goes in for lunch and eats them he is still done fishing eyes for that day as he reached his daily possession limit that morning. He could start fresh the next morning for daily and possession limits.
If Joe wants to keep fishing all day he needs to release every fish he catches after the third one. Once he keeps the fourth he is done.

That's my understanding anyway.

"Fish Hard, Hunt Hard, Live Hard"

http://www.muskiescanada.ca/

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:27 pm 
Walleye Master

If you are fishing from a boat, you can continue fishing for that same species after your limit has been caught as long as you have a fully functionable livewell, where you can keep the fish alive (culling). If a fish dies, it counts towards your daily limit. If you are fishing from shore, or ice fishing, and you already have your limit of dead fish, you're taking a great chance if you continue fishing. If you catch another fish, you better hope it can be released. It is against the law to release a dead fish unless it's out of season, or outside slot.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:09 am 
Perch

I have spoken with mnr many times about this scenario. You can keep fishing after your limit but you must practice catch and release. Just look at musky fishermen who have a conservation license. The limit is zero for them. How do you musky fish?. But seriously who needs to keep a limit of walleye every day.

Steelheadbum.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:40 am 
Walleye Master

Very interesting guys. would you not all agree ? seems to be a lot of controversy and it seems the regs lead a person to see it how a person interprets it and I still think it all stems from two words... daily Catch. and possession (ok that's three words ) lol
How do I see it ?? hummm... ok as you all know im not Canadian . spent the first 53 years of my life in different world lol so I use part American and part Canadian in my way of thinking and this is what I come up with .
Its best to keep 3 fish at your feet joe save the last fish for the end of the day (Sometimes the last fish never comes) lol but it ends all doubts if you don't have 4 fish in your possession you can never be charged.
if you catch the 4th fish you are done, and should not target a fish you already have a legal limit of so move in and fish pike, or perch and you can keep fishing if you happen to catch a walleye its incidental put it back no harm no foul if the MNR happens to see you catching fish after fish hour after hour with your limit on the ice I would think you left yourself wide open for a charge . this is exactly how it would be in NY .
Now if you go home clean the fish put them in storage you have a legal possession limit (This they do not follow in NY) so I would assume you should not go back out and fish until you have eaten at least one of thouse fish or gave away some if you live alone or someone in your house needs to also have a fishing licenses (So you can transfer possession )or give them to the neighbor next door...OR You have entered yourself into a place where you are between a truth and a lie if asked WHO CAUGHT THESE FISH the gray area. where when it comes to law the rule is always black and white, no gray area yet the way they write laws it seems very gray to me!!
you reached the daily limit you are done but you eat or give away you no longer have a possession limit so you can go back out fishing in the morning its a new day . and a new daily limit .
Catcher pointed out a 6 limit rule if two fish were caught in a different zone. (More gray) unless you did CATCH 2 FISH IN ANOTHER ZONE. you are telling a lie now it comes black and white (My luck they would DNA my fish and deport me ) lol
I personally think this could all be avoided if they wrote the laws as such.. ready for this ??
Daily limit 4 fish at home possession limit 20 fish that's a 5 day limit never to exceed of course this is just in case the MNR wants to come knock on your door and check your freezer for what ever reason .
a 4 fish limit and a four fish possession by the letter of the law mans you have a limit OR a possession you can no longer fish that species until you get cooking!
NOW.............. how many of you guys actually leave a piece of skin on your fish for identification ?? lmao how many label and date your packages ? example. 25 perch fillets caught 12/22/2012

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:49 am 
Walleye Wisdom

If you have your 4 fish (daily limit at your feet or your 4 fish at home possession limit) you can still keep fishing as long as you C/R any fish in that species.Say you go out in the morning and catch your daily limit (4) then go home and come out in the afternoon you can fish as long as you release any and all fish of that species.Legally you can catch and release all day long everyday if you want,(as long as the species your fishing for is in season)

banner ad
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
banner ad