banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:22 pm 
Walleye Catcher

FnS wrote:
Just thought I'd add my "close fishing" experience. A group of us (4) had gone out perchin on Simcoe. When doing so we usually will punch a dozen or more holes to cover an area before decided to stay or move on. While drilling the holes we had a couple of guys walk up on us and start fishing the hole before I even had a line down. Never said hello or asked if I would punch them a couple of holes to fish out of. (I've drilled many holes to other friendly walk ups before.) After some words with these guys they got the clue and move on but we couldn't believe the nerve of them.

Have had the same thing happen to me. I'm not an unfriendly person, but that's just plain rude :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:25 pm 
Walleye Angler

WalleyeWonder wrote:
skunkedagain wrote:
I don't know what's worse, the fact that they pulled to within 50 feet of you, or that you felt it necessary to black out the shoreline. I don't get people. I know many of you are expert fisherman, but as for taking the time to blackout the shoreline, that seems a little extreme. Why be on a forum like this if you just on it with the express purpose of complaining and keeping secrets? I agree there should be some things kept secret, but man, unless you are putting GPS coordinates online, I don't think people will find your exact location. Kind of destroys some of the purpose of the site. Just my two cents...

"Beg and Brag" doesn't say share you hard earned spots, and it only takes 2 seconds to black out the shoreline.
And many including myself recognize most shorelines in pics.

Yeah, I noticed you are "one of those guys" too.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:52 pm 
Perch

Been fishing the bay for quite a few years now and most of what I learned has been by trial and error or by talking to board members. A lot of info has been passed on techniques, etiquette, and such and I truly appreciate it. I also try and help out people when they PM me and ask questions. What I am most tired of is reading all of the I will punch him in the mouth type sh*t. This board has always been better than that. I certainly can understand some peoples frustration but the threats are getting old. Some of you guys think your tougher than a whale bone.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:59 pm 
Walleye Master

so would it be fair to assume if a person would take a 100 yard area and punch holes all over it for later fishing if needed you are now laying claim to that 100 yard area ? . if so then lets go a step further and say you are at one of your outer holes and at the other end you have holes and someone were to drill beside one of them holes it would be considered crowding in ? holy crap I just confused the heck out of myself. I guess this is the reason I just go fishing and try not to worry about what others do lol .
lets go to another level and think maybe people don't come over and knock on your door to ask if its ok to fish over there beside you simply because they don't want to bother you while you are fishing. or be afraid to get a poke in the nose for bothering you while you are fishing.
Is anyone other than me getting just a little tired of our government and society always telling us what we can and cant do to the point I think all of north America is becoming communist. and here we are full circle ......Singing........ Sign sign everywhere a sign people walking around speaking there minds saying do this don't do that cant you read the SIGNS!! Man I swear you guys really are a great bunch of guys. now if we all take time to look at all the angles, and every possibility most things that may not make perfect sence become quite clear. and all this over a few stupid fish eh! . Rock on brothers. Rock on!

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:16 pm 
Minnow

Well said Grizzly!!!gonna make up my own little sign, thank you lord for thinking bout me..and putting a walleye under my hut :wink:

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:28 pm 
Walleye Angler

Very well said Grizzly.......PS: you should start a five man electrical ice band :lol:

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:01 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Some of you guys think your Tougher than a whale bone!!!!!!! Thats hilarious!! LMAO

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:30 pm 
Guppy

........tricky subject but it helped educate this greenhorn who is just getting started.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:06 pm 
Minnow

WesRams, I feel your anger, space is space and they should show a little respect for others. I have been here on the B.O.Q. for 2 yrs now for some ice eyes in the winter and will be returning again in February for 4 days. Just to overcome the winter blahs of not being on my boat.

I run into the same issues during the soft water season whether i'm trolling with 10 lines out and 8 of them are running any where's from 8 - 12 color lead core with 75' of Floro leaders. Also I ran out 10-15 miles from shore. Or I could be at another area running braided lines for pike. But this area is smaller and I diffently need space. Then there will be that 1 or 2 boater that will show up and travel tight beside me.........give me space I require it!!!! Use that piece of electronics on your dash and call me!!!

Or I could be anchored fishing for perch in 42' - 48' of water with 200' of anchor rope out. Now I will let you figure out how much swing back and forth that is. Again!!! along comes another boater and drops anchor within my swing area......give me space I require it!!!! Use that piece of electronics on your dash and call me!!!!

I don't hold back any secrets, just look at some one you gave a tip too and it worked for them, they are all smiles and glad to been given that tip. I would share any info on what I'm using....color, depth, how far back, how many in the cooler ect ect ect. Use that piece of electronics on your dash and call me!!!! Give me space I require it!!!! There is lots of water/ice out there.

There's my rant, I need to do some fishing.....soon.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:21 am 
Walleye

I like these types of threads. Not only entertaining but informative. I have had similar "crowding" experiences. Once on a large northern lake my buddies and I were managing to land some big fish consistently in a small corner of the lake over the span of a few days when the rest of the lake was very quiet. We are not opposed to sharing our locations and times for the bite and the owner of the camp we were staying at who knows us, asked us to share our info with some other guests. No problem. In fact, we were happy to share as his business depends upon people having a good time and catching fish. We spoke to a group of the other guests and they were very appreciative (and we got some fillets and deer meat out of the deal. Nice!) The bad part was, either some locals overheard our conversation or the guests spoke to them at one of the local hangouts and the news spread seemingly across the entire lake. The next time we went out, it was like the 401 across Toronto at rush hour in our little corner of the lake. At least 50 boats in our little "honey hole" and some marked with the names of camps that were more than 25 kms across the lake. We tried to weave our way through the chaos and were doing okay. The pattern must have been important at that time because that was just about when the other boaters tried to get in a close to us as they could to see what techniques we were using. Of course lines got cut and lures lost. It was a train wreck. We didn't / couldn't fish there for the next two days because of the traffic. After a few days everything went back to normal and we commenced our regular routine with only the odd boat coming in to try the area again.

I think an important point in all of these discussions that might be being slightly overlooked is that, while it is perhaps an affront to a social more to crowd another who is fishing, it is not illegal or immoral as the water or ice is a public space. And, it is public for a reason; so that we can all have access and all enjoy the resource when ever and where ever we want. So the sacrifice for unrestricted access is that others are allowed the same access and can decide to fish right beside you if they don't care about space. Compare it to a public park. If you are in the park playing fetch with your dog and someone comes up and stands right next to you to do whatever it is that they are doing, no law is being broken and they in fact have the RIGHT to do so. A small price to pay for the wide access we have to both parks and fishable waters.

Two final points, don't be violent and don't black out the background in the photos you post on a public fishing site. Both douche moves.

"(B)e wary of discarding the ancient system where we all have the right to make our own decisions for one in which we all have the right to make each others, in the hope of finding true human fulfillment through “positive” rights to other people’s money and applause?"

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:26 am 
Guppy

Using a camera for many years to see what's going on down there has given me a different perspective on what is happening. I always listen to music in my hut. It doesn't seem to bother the fish and same with when someone comes by and fires up the auger and drills holes nearby. People usually avoid my area cause of the music. Plus fish seem to be partial to Zappa. I have chipped the ice very hard with my spoon till chips are hitting me in the face and the fish don't care. A lot of this was done in Scugog in less than 5 feet of water. You want to come by and visit me, no problem, ask for advice, tips etc., it doesn't bother me. Fish within ten feet of me, again no problem. Come by any time, the company is always welcome. I'm confident that fish will be caught by me and if not, it's still better than work. Besides I can always get up and leave if anyone bothers me.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:08 pm 
Guppy

The easiest thing to do would be to call in the reinforcements.
Maverick would have taken care of it !

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:34 pm 
Walleye

These postings remind me of a hilarious story that happened to my brother Bowfin: he was ice fishing for trout with his family at a well-known Quebec resort in a small lake that is closest to the resort itself (there are about 10 other lakes). He was sitting on his bucket, quietly jigging and along came marching on the ice was about 20 Belgian tourists. Never having seen ice fishing up close, they proceeded to encircle my poor bro and watch him for a good several minutes. Talk about pressure! I told him that he should have dramatically feigned a reeling in a big fish while cursing "Tabanouche! Calisse! C'est un gros poisson!" and yank out his...2 inch minnow! :lol:

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:06 pm 
Jumbo Perch

The myth that power augers scare fish away more then hand augers or electric augers is just that a myth, the fish can't actually here the engine of a gas powered auger. The only noise under the water is that of the blades cutting the ice, hand augers, electric augers and gas augers all sound the same under the ice. Hence the reason your music dosn't bother the fish, they can't hear it under the ice. If you want to test this out next time in the summer and your at a pool party, jump in swim to the bottom and try to listen to the loud music or party going on, you will hear silence.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:29 pm 
Walleye Angler

Haven't ice fished in years but the best fishing I ever had I was set up about 75 feet from snowmobile races at a winter carnival. Looks like I may get out for the Bay Battle

banner ad
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
banner ad