Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 12:37 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Flashers a must:):)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:50 pm 
Walleye Angler

I agree with Chris and Dan on this one, only 2 of my fish this year have been so aggressive that they didn't even show up on the flasher. The rest have all been finessed into biting. I am no expert on ice fishing, but I use my electronics all summer long to catch deep water smallmouth, I would not get 10 percent of those open water fish without my Lowrance HDS units... I would not get many walleye either without my flasher. Electronics are a game changer, I wouldn't deer hunt without earplugs and an eye patch on one eye either. That is the best comparison I can come up with lol!!!!

Colin Friel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:35 pm 
Walleye

During my last trip up to Quinte I had set my rod down while peeling a hard boiled egg around 11am. It was one of those freakin deals when parts of the egg start to rip off with the shell! I had lost a fish a bit earlier so I'm already crabby and now it's getting worse. I'm just about to flip the clam and chuck that stupid half-peeled egg at my brothers head when a real good mark shows up on the flasher just below my gold champ which has been just dangling there for a few minutes. So I drop the egg, pick up the rod, and give it one little 5" bounce. SMACK! GOOD FISH! I proceeded to loose that fish just like the last three but without the flasher I likely never would have had that particular chance to begin with. Do you really need a flasher to catch fish? Hell no! In fact, one of my brothers out fishes me plenty without one. Yep, he's the one I was aiming for with the egg. Does a flasher often help locate and catch fish? Hell yes!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:17 am 
Walleye Angler

Do you throw the egg shells down the hole? I hear that attracts the fish. :lol: Yes I believe in electronics but I don't believe they are a must. Some poor newbie will read this and run out and buy one for $300 - $400 and it really won't do him much good unless you are a guy like WalleyeWonder that puts in a sh!& load of time after the Quinte Sea Gold and knows what to do with the little red and green blinky lights once you see them. Although if enough guys buy them and get frustrated :x with them then maybe they will sell them real cheap on here and we can get a good deal on one. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:23 am 
Jumbo Perch

Hutchy wrote:
Do you throw the egg shells down the hole? I hear that attracts the fish. :lol: Yes I believe in electronics but I don't believe they are a must. Some poor newbie will read this and run out and buy one for $300 - $400 and it really won't do him much good unless you are a guy like WalleyeWonder that puts in a sh!& load of time after the Quinte Sea Gold and knows what to do with the little red and green blinky lights once you see them. Although if enough guys buy them and get frustrated :x with them then maybe they will sell them real cheap on here and we can get a good deal on one. :)

IT will be the best $300-$400 he will spend for ice fishing, it will cut the learning curve down 10x. They are perfect for a new guy trying to learn what works and how to jig up fish, yes it can be frustrating at times knowing the fish is there and you can't get it to bite but it's way better then fishing blind and not knowing if there are fish even around. The best thing about flashers is there super fun to use, I bought my first fl8 25yrs ago it cost close to $600 and I never looked back.