Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: FishTV Unit
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:32 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

just got a fishtv and still figuring out how to get the best use out of it...question is has anyone had or have one of these,any tips i should be aware of or perhaps someone figured out how to achive direction control,simply twisting the wire isnt much help.aswell...any help or ideas are welcome...i think im on the fence on how 'worth it' it is....handy for viewing structure or strait down the hole.but it aint no flasher

Post subject: Re: FishTV Unit
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:28 pm 
Walleye

sunlight and no snow on the ice make it a lot easier to use, its useless during walleye primetime when the sun is low, the deeper you are the darker it is as well and current doesnt help I mostly use it for pike but occasionally for perch or if im questioning whats species im marking down there and to find structure

buy a rechargeable flasher battery for it it eats through alkalines
drill your camera hole 6-10 ft away dependin on visibility
once your cameras down there instead of trying to spin your line move your camera very slightly towards and away from the hole pulling the cord or letting it outmore one wil spin right one will spin left and it will spin just a little bit at a time in each direction I do this until i see my jig on the screen put a larger lure on to start and try to get it centered you will only have to do minor adjustments after you get it setup for the day

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:08 pm 
Walleye

You can also loop the cable from the fish camera around the tail and have it look straight down at bottom. Works well for perch and whitefish,no real experience with walleye. You fish out of the hole and see your jig action or minnows.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:44 am 
Walleye Angler

I was the other fellow that wanted to buy that unit, and if you decide it's not your cup of tea, let me know and I will buy it from you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:06 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

It came with a flasher battery and ya it really is picky on light lvl..i see there are lights to adapt to it but...isn't that using a lite to aid fishing? Ilegal or what..also going to build a positioner from some plywood..its not a bad piec3e of equiptment just tough to work out most effective methods

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:28 pm 
Walleye Master

You can buy a thing (forget what it's called) that you attach the cable to, and it sits over the top of the hole. It is a battery operated remote that will spin the camera (cable) so you can search around. It won't know what direction you are looking, but you will be able to spin it around till you find your lure, and hold it there. The one I bought was made by Marcum.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:16 pm 
Walleye

I have a fishTV and agree with comments above. It is best used for perch on sunny days with little snow cover with the camera pointed down, increases catch by a good amount, it is really awesome to watch how they react and respond to get them to bite. I wouldn't use it for walleye, too much risk of it getting tangled with the TV cord. I've tried having the camera horizontal in the next hole but have spent several frustrating minutes trying to get the damn thing point at my lure. Swing too much one side - whoops my lure whizzes by, then twist the cord the other way, whoops, the lure whizzes by again...then there's the current - arg! A fixed pole would work but up to a certain depth.