Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2024 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:11 pm 
Walleye

My Garmin Vista GPS has an annoying habit of marking my location as being off by a good distance Ex., I am on water or ice near the shore and the GPS would mark me as if I am 100 metres or more ONSHORE (which has caused my friend, after studying my GPS, to say, 'hey, did you catch fish in the forest?' :lol: ). According the website, 'The basemap in the GPS devices has been drawn from a map with a scale of 1:100,000. A level of accuracy of .25 miles (1,320 feet) can be expected from a map of this scale.' , meaning 1) most GPS would follow this logic, 2) I am doomed to mark my fish spots on the #2 road and 3) if i wanted to drop $200 for a Trakmaps contour map, I will be off by at least 1300 feet in any direction from a drop-off or shoal I wanna fish.

Do you guys have the same problem - does your GPS display this level of offset? Would the contour map correct this? I posed this problem with Trakmaps and they said, no, the problem would be related to the GPS unit. Is it still worth getting a contour map?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:34 am 
Walleye

I have three garmin GPS and all are very accurate. I can return to the same spots time after time. But some map features are wrong on the mapping software. The base map only leaves alot to be desired I have topo Canada, city navigator North America, Blue charts NA and fishing hotspots all are very accurate.
Go to the setup menu and make sure you have WAAS/ENOS enabled.
Check on your satellite page it should show your accuracy in the top left corner, typically plus or minus 20 feet.

Skeet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:12 pm 
Walleye

Your co ordinates will be correct just the map that is in the background is off. Probably was with the small GPS. Had that on one I had before.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:27 pm 
Walleye

thanks for your reply - I will check the WAAS/ENOS setting. My GPS is accurate when it comes to taking me back to waypoints and yes, the landscape is off-set but my main concern is if I were to install a map - would that be off as well because it would be superimposed over the map that is already there?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:06 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Once you install the new maps you typically have to select them on the units settings. Once selected they will override the basemap and you should get the accuracy you are looking for.

"Fish Hard, Hunt Hard, Live Hard"

http://www.muskiescanada.ca/

banner ad