Resorts
Tourism
Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:24 am 
Walleye Master

blackriverfisherman wrote:
I personally wouldnt be driveing on the ice, I only did that when I was young and foolish, could be a pressure crack pop up anywhere.

I agree...Although I have done it many times before on different lakes, and it is nice and easy, I don't think it's worth the risk. I know walking can be a pain in the butt sometimes, but there are so many access points to the ice, I don't think it's really necessary. The way I look at it now is the walking and the pulling is good exercise too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:20 pm 
Walleye Angler

Location: Frankford, Trent River, Kashwakamak, Deseronto, BoQ
I saw a truck out on the Trent river just the other day... oh wait that was me! I am pulling my shack out to my spot and have drilled thru no less than 18 inches since the end of that warm snap. With minus 10-28 degrees recently .. its thick.. but I would not recommend it to people who don't know the body of water they are fishing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:46 pm 
Walleye Fry

I took that picture a few years back. That was on Fraser lake in Bancroft. There was 21" of Ice the Truck was was about 1/4 mile off shore and was lucky the water was only 12 feet deep. There were lots of tracks from cars and trucks being out on the ice looked like a road. I talked to the guy who went in and he said he had just stopped the truck for a moment to look at his Navionics on his phone when the front of the truck just shot down he also said the water flowed into the truck so fast it help push him out off the truck window if he was wearing a seatbelt he would be dead. Seen the guy the following year out on the lake in his boat he said his little accident cost him a total of $21'000 . $8'000 to get the truck pulled out $2'500 Environment fee from the Ministry of Ontario.$11'000 at the Ford Dealership for the repairs from water infiltration. The ice was 18" around the truck everybody could not believe the truck went through. They even drove out small international Tow truck with a boom on it to pull it out.

If you are going to drive on the Ice don't be the first set of tracks out.

Drive Slow driving fast on the ice can create a wave under neath the ice pushing fluid pressure to the top which can affect the integrity of the Ice.

Windows open you will not be able to get the door open if the vehicle goes under that *** only happens in the movies.

No insurance company in Ontario will insure you out there unless you are in the recovery business.

Don't be that guy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:05 pm 
Walleye Fry

That was in Bancroft. 21" of ice. The Truck was one of many that we're on the lake that day. Spoke to the guy he said he he stopped to look at his Navionics on his phone and before he knew it the front of the truck went down. He was only over 12' feet of water. Ran into the guy that summer in my boat he said it cost him $21'000. To get his truck out and fixed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:07 pm 
Walleye

Guys drivin on the reach tonight

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:43 am 
Goby

Where abouts that truck go in?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:53 am 
Walleye Angler

[quote="
No insurance company in Ontario will insure you out there unless you are in the recovery business.

.[/quote]

that's not true, I went through with my truck at Shermans point in Feb. of 95. There were probably 50 cars and trucks on the lake at the time. I was only in about 6ft of water at the time ,so the front of the truck hit bottom before the cab filled up.It happened so fast, by the time I heard the sound of going through the door couldn't open, so through the window I went, which was tough trying to get the big green boots around the steering wheel. The truck was a total right off because the tow truck driver bent the frame of the truck pulling it out. I was insured with state farm at the time and they gave me $8500 for my 84 Chevy truck. They had told me that you are allowed to file once for going through the ice, if you do it twice you are just ******* stupid.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:30 pm 
Walleye Master

if anyone is truly concerned about their coverage, WRITE AN EMAIL (so you have it in writing) to your broker and ask if you go through the ice, will you be covered. again, that way you have it in writing.

if the broker is wrong, its their E&O, your covered either way.

if you don't have a broker, good luck. a direct insurance company may not provide a response in writing that will help you.

a broker will however (and no, i'm not a broker, lol).

Last edited by steve-hamilton on Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:10 pm 
Walleye Angler

When my truck was covered in the story above , it was a 2 wheel drive truck and was covered no problem

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:29 am 
Walleye Angler

was out on Sunday at Huff's and heard the odd crack through out the morning. Later in the afternoon suddenly the cracking sounds started and when on constantly for about 5 minutes. I came out of my hut to look around and there was a large pick up parked about 75M from where I was on 12" of Ice. I think it is crazy to be driving out there, It is only a matter of time until someone hits a weak spot.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:18 am 
Walleye Angler

From what my broker.has said.... it all comes down to the actual insurance company and their "fineprint" on the subject... I for one, am covered for a first time break thru. Allstate all the way baby. Full vehicle replacement.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:41 am 
Walleye

Trent River Fishin' wrote:
From what my broker.has said.... it all comes down to the actual insurance company and their "fineprint" on the subject... I for one, am covered for a first time break thru. Allstate all the way baby. Full vehicle replacement.

Does that cover the cost to recover the vehicle from the ice too? Just curious as I'm an ice fishing trucker too and I am waiting to here back from my insurance company.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:29 am 
Walleye Angler

I would assume the recovery would be on us... they only cover the repair/replacement depending on policy type

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:31 am 
Walleye Angler

Besides ... I don't plan on trucking it out on unknown ice :) I know My spots well and only go in the truck when we've had cold like we have been having.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:34 am 
Walleye

This is a really good topic and like many of you I put a call into my insurance company rep Mark at Dalton Timmis at 1-888-385-8466. I have been informed in writing that my insurance covers me totally for the vehicle, the recovery, the replacement costs of a rental, and environmental costs etc. either under collision or comprehensive. I guess it depends on who you go with and what type of insurance you get but coverage is certainly available.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
banner ad