Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Oct 11, 2024 12:23 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:31 pm 
Minnow

Does anyone have any experience with either a nils master with tanaka head or with husky power augers? These can come with a hefty price tag. just wondering if anyone can comment if they are worth it? Where to get them? Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:29 am 
Walleye Angler

If you do a search, I talked about this auger 2 yrs ago.
It's very expensive but you get what you pay for. The auger cuts through ice like butter effortlessly . You literally don't need a gas power auger( sold mine once I owned a Nils hand auger without regret) Mind you if you'd drilling holes all day for yourself and others ten that's different . Very fast and effortless . The blades do the work, you don't push down at all. If you YouTube it, you'll see it in action.
Hard to find one . I don't think they are sold in Canada. I think Dan used it once when we went fishing last year. The blade is a real unique design .

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:11 am 
Jumbo Perch

I have a Nils Masters which is the Tanaka head for three years now. Love it ,cuts great! Down side Nils blade hates dirty ice and blade has to be sent south of the border for sharpening. Huskys are also great motors, 50/50 which motor to buy , husky is has more dealers for service. May be difficult to find stock on one of these this late in the season. D

Last edited by dani on Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:12 am 
Minnow

Thanks for the info.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:03 pm 
Minnow

I ended up buying a normark (husqvarna powered) auger. sail had it for 300 off. (599. So I had to!) it is a great machine. Starts easy and runs very smoothly. I am extremely happy with it if this helps anyone. may end up buying a hand nils for early season when the machines can't get on the ice.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:01 pm 
Walleye

work2fish wrote:
I ended up buying a normark (husqvarna powered) auger. sail had it for 300 off. (599. So I had to!) it is a great machine. Starts easy and runs very smoothly. I am extremely happy with it if this helps anyone. may end up buying a hand nils for early season when the machines can't get on the ice.

At 23 lbs, just put it in your sleigh. That is a smoking deal. Cannot go wrong with that. Which sail and do they have any more? I use the honda 10" strike lite, but would love to get one for my old man.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:17 am 
Minnow

It was at the sail in Oshawa and I believe was the only one. (Display model) I hadnt seen it there before after many visits, happened to walk by and see it and it was on clear out. I think they would be tough to find at that price. the power heads alone go for 699 . if you go to the states Check out the tanaka and nilsmaster. I've seen them for 599 US. (Reg price). The folks who responded to this seem to like theirs.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:21 pm 
Minnow

I saw that husky at sail, the guy told me they had brought some in from other stores that weren't selling as much Ice gear. Great deal on that auger! I have a nils hand bomber, and I also have an eskimo gasser for these conditions. The nils is easy as can be to 18 inches , probably more, but when it gets to that state I use the gas auger. Nils truly is the fastest hand auger I've ever used, I can only imagine what it would be like with a power attachment!!

banner ad
banner ad