Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:17 pm 
Perch

So lets see your Hut or your Shack or your what ever.

I figured cool way for everyone to show off their master piece (or just piece)

Maybe add a little on how the design came to be , building process
as well as what went good or what you would do to improve next time.

here's our's for this season.

I got a whole bunch of roofing tin during a scrap haul. figured it was too good to scrap. All the wood except the skis are salvaged from pallets/crates.
the insulation was in my old man's hay loft
the stove was a $10 yard sale find
heat shield is a dryer door.
3 trap doors in floor (3 guys can fish 2 holes each) the middle guy is a little tight with regular sized rod.

original plan had a bench all along one side. it was to skinny and just plain uncomfortable so it was removed.
skis had crazy carpet stapled to them.....staples are not strong enough for ice use...lol
chimney did not clear the roof line (shortage of material) draft was hard to get in windy weather.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:27 am 
Jumbo Perch

Reminds me of the old days.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:12 am 
Perch

CLASSIC, looks like you can live in there. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:37 am 
Walleye Angler

Spent about 40 hours throwing this little hut together. It's 8'x8' and 6.5' high. Sits on 2x12x10' skis laminated with 1/4" plywood. That's the key so the skis don't split! Teflon on the bottom. Can pull this thing by hand no problem. Plexiglass windows. Bought a 2'x4' sheet and cut 4 windows out of it. Has a life time warranty tin roof on it. Framed with 2x2's and has 3/8" plywood on walls and ceiling. 1/2" on the floor. Fully insulated with 1.5" durofoam. Reflective side out. Can heat this hut with a candle when it's -33 with the windchill. I've done it! Has 2 bench seats that slide together with 2 futon mattresses. Sleeps 4 no problem. Has a fold down table. LED lights. 8 holes to fish out of. 9000 BTU heater (runs on half and that's too much). Can close all 4 windows and its dark as night in the hut so you can sight fish. Additions for next year: satellite tv and a smaller heater

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by FishinMagician on Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:45 am 
Walleye Angler

Built the 8x8 the same as this one. Framed with 2x2's, 3/8" plywood on walls and ceiling and 1/2" on the floor. 4 holes to fish. Wired with lights. Same skis with Teflon runners. Life time tin roof. Rack for propane tank with pass through for hose. Has a bench in it that folds out to a bed. Can sleep 2 comfortably. Big windows heat the hut in the daytime from the sunlight! Fully insulated. You can heat this one with a candle too!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:04 pm 
Walleye

Here's my old girl. 4x8. Built with 2x2's and underlay flooring plywood for the walls. Light as a feather, could push her with one hand. 3/4" pressure treated floor. Teflon on 2x8 runners. Garden bench seat and a lawn chair for seats. Fully insulated, propane cook stove for heat and making lunch, coffee. Fished 3 comfortably with 4 holes, one for the camera. Unfortunately she passed on after 4 short years, huge wind storm did un-repairable damage off pointe anne and I had to cremate her. We caught a ton of fish out of her. This is the only pic I have, I decorated her for xmas one year on the front lawn. The kids loved it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:01 pm 
Walleye

That is awesome How much to rent that 8x8

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:13 pm 
Walleye Angler

Send me a pm and we can discuss it :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:50 pm 
Minnow

Here is mine from 6 years ago, 4x8 insulated, 2 holes with fold up table, 12 volt lights and an satellite dish for décor, 2 - 12 x 12 mirrors on the ceiling angled so you could sit back and still be able to look down the hole.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:17 pm 
Perch

FishinMagician wow I have not seen ones like that since i lived in northern Ontario. love it.
I do recognize your other one. I see it up at Glen ross last year. That is where mine is now.

wounded 4 years is a good run for a hut. mine lasted a week last year.....dam wind blew it off the ice into the river....i'll post pictures.

Three Bouys Camo is my favorite color....lol

Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:31 pm 
Walleye Angler

I want to do an 8x16 for next year! We will see what life brings.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:44 pm 
Perch

Last years hut.

Started building it in Late November 2012.
Cost was $43.75 to build. Most was scrounged.
old tin shed. 1x3 framed walls 2x4. floor covered with pallet slats. Fully insulated with computer box packing foam, bench seat that sat 3 guys. 2 large floor open holes 2ft x 4ft each
front jut section was where 18000 btu propane heater was......way way to hot.....on for 10 off for 30 kinda usuage

put it on the ice at glen ross 16th jan 2013 and on the night of 19th Jan we had those 90k winds and our little rope for our minnow live well did not hold.
it blew into the river and floated from the lock all the way to the pack ice at the corner of Danger narrows.

after a hard freeze we were able to get it out. took my quad, chain come-along and 4 hrs of chainsawing ice.
in the end it buckled and folded up like a house of cards.

$50 dump fee......normally i would have salvaged what i could have but i was so frustrated i just did not want to see it any more...lol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:52 pm 
Walleye Angler

Oh man! I know who ya are now. I was fishing the next day. Either you or a friend asked if I had seen the hut. I said come with me. We went to the back of my hut and I pointed down to the corner. I said see that little red mark in the water...."that's my hut"? Yep! I anchored all my huts that night and thankfully I did or my huts would have joined yours. There was another that made the float down to the corner too that night! What I've always wondered though, is how the heck both the huts made it past mine without hitting anything....? I had my 4x8 take a tour from cow island through the narrows to point anne a couple years back. Anchor pulled right out of the wood. All that was left was the rope in the ice and the blocks I had my hut on. Took me a day to find the hut hahaha!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:14 pm 
Walleye Angler

Here's the 1 I'm using now. Had to rescue it last year when we had that warm spell.
Still good to go. I have a total of about $300 into it.
It has a 9000 BTU furnace in it.

The one I'm working on this winter, It comes in 2 pieces and will be joined to make a 8x16' hut when finished.
Made from 3 1/2" isowall type material.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:30 am 
Walleye

How did you get it out?

banner ad