Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 8:21 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:49 pm 
Baitfish

I live in kingston and the bait shop here is a bit of a distance to go so i recently purchased some minnows from canadian tire. Well they died before i even made it home due to the limited water they were put in. So I'm thinking.. Fake minnows do the trick for you guys? I am all for live minnows but I've never used fake ones before. Anyone have any input ???

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:59 pm 
Perch

I'm a live minnow user.
but what i do is the ones that don't survive is i put them in viploc with coarse salt. it dehydrates them a little but keeps them more solid that stait dead or rotted ones.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:21 pm 
Walleye

Gonna try some berkley gulp shad tomorrow when the bite lights up, just for the experiment. Will post results. Hopefully with pics :)

Wes

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:27 pm 
Walleye Fry

work good used gulp shad regular & floating type .floating kind makes the jig dance differently used in Trenton can fish hard don't fall off.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:17 am 
Goby

I have had luck on Gulp minnows, emerald shiner color, fished on a 1/4oz jig head.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:45 am 
Walleye

I have tipped my buckshots with berkley gulp shiners. I have caught fish, but I have also had plenty of fish on the screeen that would not commit. I think that if the walleye is hungry, no doubt he will smash it, or if you have a few on the screen at once, one of them will bite it because they feel predatorial. But for the finiky walleye, I just cannot get them to hit the gulp like they do a real minnow.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:55 am 
Guppy

I've really only ever had luck with live or fresh minnows myself

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:26 am 
Walleye Catcher

There is a bait shop right in Kingston http://www.brownbeartacklebox.com/

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:38 am 
Jumbo Perch

For the past three years I have moved away from live minnows and gulp minnows in favor of the Lake Fork Tackle's Baby Shad (favorite color is Fire Perch). In 2011 I had a banner trip with at least 6 over 9lbs (biggest 12.5lbs) that hammered buckshot, macho minnow, fire eye minnow and smoothie tipped with them out from Shermans. This years trip was the PK Flutter Spoon tipped with glow green Baby Shad which produced the biggest for Captinminnow at 7.5lbs and I managed 1 5lber with a gold buckshot tipped with the Fire Perch. I am a huge believer in the product for the BOQ ... I just wished I had more chances each year to try them. Some might argue that artificials are only good for aggressive fish but this year they effectively teased some less than eager walleye to take. It might be worth a try for some of you seasoned veterans of the BOQ as well as some newcomers ... I would love to hear if they work in areas other than Huffs and Shermans.

Link is provided below and for the record I receive no benefit from the promotion of this product!

http://www.lftlures.com/catalog/lft-baby-shad-2-1-4

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:01 pm 
Walleye Angler

I bought an battery powered aerated for my insulated bucket and it has paid for itself in the $ I have saved on lost minnows. It keeps the air in the water but also keeps it from icing up.

I also have a 20lt bucket at home with a air pump with 2 air hose connectors on it, one has a fizz stone and the other is attached to a small plastic $3 filter with polywool in it (and a bit of activated charcoal for the smell). I bought the filter as I was having to change the water every two days and have not had to do it since. I put a few of pieces of plastic tubing (central vac) cut to 5 - 6" in the bottom of the bucket for them to hide in as it keeps them calm. Without it they seem to panic and bash themselves all over to the point of injury when ever I open the bucket (a loose lid is always on it as they jump out to the floor sometimes). I feed them goldfish food and they are unbelievably healthy. Thanks to my buddies I usually have more when I come home then when I go out as they give me their half dead left over minnows at the end of the day. Yesterday my friend gave me about 20 that were practically dead out of his 65% frozen bucket. I brought them home, stuck in my air stone and waited for the temperature to get up to room temp. I then scooped them into my bucket and this morning they were healthy again. I have not bought minnows the 4 times I was out over the past two weeks an still have about 50 - 60 in the bucket. I have to tell my friends to not buy minnows the next couple of times we go so I can use some of these up.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:41 pm 
Baitfish

I caught a 3 lb walleye on a perch buckshot this year at thompsons point tipped with a green mister twister tail lol nobody was out there and I forgot my minnows at home and wasn't going to drive 40 minutes home to get them so I had to be creative with what was in my tackle box.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:29 am 
Minnow

i have had more luck with live minnows

banner ad
banner ad