Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Buddy Heater repair
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:19 am 
Walleye Master

So, my pilot w light works fine. However when i go to turn in to a heat setting the flame just goes out. I believe its not getting propane. According to grizz he thinks its the thermocoupler. He believes its not being toldto spit some fuel out. Any ideas or repair people on here?

Post subject: Re: Buddy Heater repair
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:43 am 
Walleye Wisdom

If your pilot is staying on, then your thermocouple is producing enough milliamps to keep the valve somewhat open. There may be a piece of dirt or something in the orfice. Before you buy a thermocoupler, try turning it upside down and tap on the pilot and orfice a few times. Might be a piece of dirt in there. Worth a try. Or try holding a lighter to the thermocoupler while your turning it over. That way it's not losing the pilot.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:04 am 
Walleye Master

Thanks PK, i tried both of those methods butit didnt work. I ordered a new thermocouple for 8 dollars so im hoping

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:20 am 
Walleye Master

This is a little off topic, but just thought I'd share my experience with the Buddy Heater. I have a bigger hub style portable (3-4 man) and I used the Big Buddy heater. I recently switched to one of those tank top heaters which actually has less BTU, but I find it works way better. I haven't even switched the heater to high power yet. Heats up the hut fine on low. You can fill a 20 pound propane tank for the same price as 3 or 4 of those 1 pounders and probably get triple the time out of it. It's way cheaper to run, and less hassle fumbling around with those little bottles. Most people already own a BBQ tank, so basically you can get the heater for $60 instead of $150-200. I know it may be too big for a 1 man flipover, but I do know guys that use them in 2 man huts. It will also fit on a 10 pound tank if you're worried about size/weight.

Don't mean to hijack your thread Landshark, but just thought it may help some guys out in the future if they're having problems with the Buddy Heaters.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:39 am 
Walleye Angler

Walleye 9 wrote:
This is a little off topic, but just thought I'd share my experience with the Buddy Heater. I have a bigger hub style portable (3-4 man) and I used the Big Buddy heater. I recently switched to one of those tank top heaters which actually has less BTU, but I find it works way better. I haven't even switched the heater to high power yet. Heats up the hut fine on low. You can fill a 20 pound propane tank for the same price as 3 or 4 of those 1 pounders and probably get triple the time out of it. It's way cheaper to run, and less hassle fumbling around with those little bottles. Most people already own a BBQ tank, so basically you can get the heater for $60 instead of $150-200. I know it may be too big for a 1 man flipover, but I do know guys that use them in 2 man huts. It will also fit on a 10 pound tank if you're worried about size/weight.

Don't mean to hijack your thread Landshark, but just thought it may help some guys out in the future if they're having problems with the Buddy Heaters.

Benifit of the buddy is the automatic shut off for CO, worth the extra few bucks IMO. Pair it with a 5lb tank and a Mr. Buddy 5' or 20' hose and avoid the 1lb tanks. I have the 5lb and hose but still pack a couple 1lbs just in case I get freeze up in the hose or tank from extended use.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:06 am 
Perch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2Z9aB-yEaE

Check out this video. I had the same issue and when I cleaned it with a Q Tip it fixed it. If you got your buddy heater under a year you can send it back or if you got it from Crappy Tire they will give you a new one.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:11 am 
Walleye Master

I had the Big Buddy heater which has 2 burners, and takes 2 1 pounders to run it. It will gobble up that 5 pound tank in about 6-8 hours on a cold day on high, and you still need 1 pounders as backup. Keep the vents open on the hut, and open the door every once in awhile, and you don't need to worry about CO/Oxygen. As I mentioned earlier, the tank top model is probably not the best idea for a smaller hut, but anything 2 man and over, it beats the Big Buddy without a question.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:17 am 
Walleye Master

Good information fellas, thanks . I have a couple of the single burner that fit on top of the 20lb tank but they have a tendency to burn things lol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:34 pm 
Walleye

TheLandshark wrote:
Good information fellas, thanks . I have a couple of the single burner that fit on top of the 20lb tank but they have a tendency to burn things lol

YUP THEY DO!!! Did you know some coat zippers are plastic?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:56 pm 
Guppy

Sounds like the problem is the thermocouple. I worked for a local gas utility. If your problem is still there after u replace the part pm me and I will provide other possible alternatives.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:45 pm 
Walleye Master

wounded wrote:
TheLandshark wrote:

YUP THEY DO!!! Did you know some coat zippers are plastic?

It throws enough heat to warm you up, so there's no real need to lay on top of it, and you could probably take that coat off :wink:

Just kidding!!! You definitely need the room for it, and if you have it, it's the way to go.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:30 pm 
Walleye

I am a gas technician if the thermocouple don't work try these tips check the co spill switch by removing both wires and jumping together with a small clip or jumper wire
Main burner orfice could be plugged with ice had one last week that was problem
Or could be loose connection on wires thermocouple ect
Let me know I have fixed about 6 this year for a few different ppl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:18 pm 
Walleye

I just refill the 1lb tanks with a conector a friend got me in the states. They refill to about 75% and cost about 60 cents to fill :D i walk out so need to save weight where i can

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:52 pm 
Walleye Master

Thanks men

banner ad