Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 1:19 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:35 pm 
Walleye

Just thought I'd report on my experience or "adventure" today. I had started a topic earlier in the week to try and get a feel for the conditions on the ice for travel. My daughters ( 9 and 13 ) haven't been out this year and were extremely excited to try this weekend. Having some input from members on the board both in the thread and in (pm ) I had told the girls Friday that we were going to go to quinte ( they ask if this is where we spend the night and catch big walleye) my answer to them is yes and am very happy that they are so into trying this. They really do enjoy it and get so excited when they hook into fish. As a father and avid fisherman this is something that holds a very special place in me. The smiles on there faces is so fulfilling.

Anyway alarm goes off late and we don't get out of Cambridge until 5:30am. Myself, Vicky and the girls are feeling frustrated as we know weve just blown the ( first light bite ) and wont make it to our destination ( Wagers ) until close to 9am. Were all happy we finally have good driving conditions and don't have to battle blizzard to try and get fishing. We arrive out to big island and I talk under my breath as seeing the amount of snow on the ground makes me question my decision. Quick stop at the bull pit for minnows and I'm quickly realizing my mistake as talking with ( owner there ) I don't remember her name she's concerned and honest that I'm going to have a rough go of it. Great lady and I cant say enough about going there for minnows. Wonderful people so if your in the area get your minnows there and support there business.

Still deciding to take a look we drive to wagers park and I walk out to look at the conditions. Well long story short the conditions are sh*t!!!!!!! roughly 12"to 16" of powder/packed snow with an additional 6"to 8" of slush under that. Absolutely no chance the ATV would make it thru that. Never mind the fact that the regular access point is fully blocked and un accessable. had to go on rite at the location where we would just launch on the ice. Meaning the bank depth is probably 3'+ deep. ATV would be buried. Decided to drive to bain park as we heard that the way out was more packed down. Arrive take a look and figure lets try it. 450 Kodiak 4x4 with an adventure x clam , ice auger and my girl friend on the back. Need to do 2 trips as we cant all fit on the atv. Get about 300 meters out and hit a deep drift. Bog down in close to 2ft of ice and slush. annnnnnnnd were stuck. Spend an 1/2 hour digging out and decide to call it quits. Head back to the truck break the news to the kids who were excited were were finally going and ended up crying in frustration because we couldn't. Very upsetting.

My 2 cents is unless we get a melt goodf luck traveling out there with a quad. Its not going to happen.

\this may be the end of our season, its all in mother natures hands now.

Cheers

from our crew,

Ryan, Vicky, Mikayla and Aryana.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:51 pm 
Walleye Master

That's awful. I have 2 girls also and totally feel for you. My suggestion is make another go at it. Supposed to get a thaw in a week or so.

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:07 pm 
Walleye Angler

conditions middle of long reach are same. brutal slush. 12+ inches in one spot. even on a sled, got bogged down and stuck several times.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:31 pm 
Walleye Angler

Location: Frankford, Trent River, Kashwakamak, Deseronto, BoQ
Got my truck stuck at potters today

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:33 pm 
Walleye Angler

Quinte conservation tractor came and pulled me out with my otter sled rope as I left the chains and straps at home on the quad

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:40 pm 
Walleye

We wont give up , were all too stubern to do that. Just frustrated with todays events. Going to try before seasons end for sure. As long as mother nature gives us a break. I'll post pics of kids with ear to ear grins before the seasons done.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:04 pm 
Baitfish

I made it out last night and today from Bain on my bike. Had to take it slow and find the hard packed snow and not the slush, got stuck a couple times but once your out past the point it becomes more just hard packed snow. It was tough going but there will be a good trail eventually(until the next snowfall).

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:50 pm 
Walleye Fry

try the centenial park in trenton not wagers still good no atv needed 100 yard just fine.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:31 am 
Walleye

Just thought I'd clarify on my gear or ( weight ) going out so people could determine there own situation and make the decision if they think they are lighter or going to stay on top of the pack instead of digging into it.

Yamaha Kodiak 450 4x4 ( 650lbs ) increased the weight based on a full tank of gas and my 2 up seat as they aren't in the stock calculations.

Jiffy 10" power auger ( 40lbs )

Clam adventure x 4man flip up with ( all my gear ice 55, Marcum 385x, rods, heater, extra electrical, tackle bag, minnows, 20lb propane tank ) approx ( 300lbs )

Ryan ( 165 lbs )

Vicky ( 120 lbs ) being safe with this guess so I don't get in trouble lol

Grand total of ( 650 + 40 + 300 + 165 + 120 ) = 1,275 lbs

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:34 pm 
Walleye Angler

Seems to be the general situation all around the bay right now... I have a bit.of trouble getting that 100 yards off shore but once you get out there and going it turns into better conditions. ***, there is barely any snow covering the middle of the.channel in front of my house once ya get out over the slush and softer snow

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:09 pm 
Guppy

Heading up next weekend with my kids and hoping for the best. Rented a hut and been watching videos and reading. Any advice or anyone able to pm with any tricks would be greatly appreciated.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:33 pm 
Guppy

I fished Wagers yesterday (Saturday) afternoon with my 8-year old daughter and we had to leave the bike in the truck after looking at the launch as you described. Long tough walk out about 1/2 km pulling a sled and too much stuff. Not much on the flasher although it was a good chance for my daughter to learn how to use it. It's hard to go back to fishing blind!! Like you say though it's worth the effort just to see the smiles!

The Sunday before I caught a 3.5 lbs during the morning fish at Wagers...small Jig'n Rap and no minnow. Seems that they want aggressive jigging lately!

banner ad
banner ad