Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Runners for 4x8 hut.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:31 pm 
Minnow

I just picked up a 4x8 hut pretty cheap and am looking to "renovate" it to my liking. I am looking for suggestions/ideas for runners and tow bars? it has two two by six wood runners now but I am thinking about getting downhill skis Or hyfax sliders to put on the bottom
Of them so it slides easier and or any other suggestions you may have. It's my first non portable hut and will also need a tow bar/rope or ideas to tow it behind a sled or atv to get it out. thanks

Post subject: Re: Runners for 4x8 hut.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:42 pm 
Walleye Angler

I have big eye hooks bolted to front and back of my 4x8 and 8x8's. I use a rope and hook it to them. That way you can put a little slack in the rope and get some momentum. I don't like tow bars because you can't get momentum. But a tow bar is nice so the hut doesn't chase you when you stop. A simple abs pipe over the tow rope gives you the slack you need and the stiffness so the hut can't come crashing into you. As for runners I have 2x10 and 2x12's. The key to using wood is you have to laminate them with 1/4" plywood on each side. If you don't do this, your skis will be half the height come the end of the season if you move your hut alot. 1/4" ply keeps them from cracking and coming apart. Before I bolt them onto the hut I take Teflon and cut it on the table saw in strips the width of the skis and screw it in. I can move my huts by hand they slide that easy!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:45 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Something to remember it is against the law to tow a permanent hut or portable hut with anything but a rigid tow bar.I have 2 strips of teflon 1/2"thick x 1 1/2"wide X 6'6"long plus 3 or 4 four foot long pieces you can get for $25.00.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:57 pm 
Walleye Master

I use old downhill skiis and they have always worked very well for me. I drill and countersink them on the bottom and use #10 Flat Head screws to fasten them to the frame runner boards making sure the screw heads are just below the surface of the ski.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:34 pm 
Walleye Angler

The law isn't always practical though is it haha. At least you have a fighting chance if you have the pipe over the rope. Would have to be a really really really slow boring day for anyone to ever give you a ticket for towing without a tow bar.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:42 am 
Walleye

When there is a lot of snow on the ice 2x6 or 2x8 runners are too low. Your hut will just start plowing snow. I'm in this predicament now. Tried to move my hut yesterday, made it 30 ft. I will be taking 2x12's out and scabbing them to the 2x8's to give me the extra lift and clearence to get above the snow.

banner ad
banner ad