Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:51 pm 
Walleye Angler

Comit wrote:
Was there on Friday and again on Sunday, Three bites on Friday, got one to the hole and lost it on the edge of the Ice. I was using White tubes and Gulp large smelts. Sunday, Just lookers. Only got one bite all day. They would come up 10 feet and look but would not chase at all.

hey comit , just trying to help , how deep were you fishing ? I lived on the deep end of the lake for a few years , might be able to help out :)

Andy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:30 am 
Walleye Angler

Was on 83fow last week and 99fow this week. The bites all came from fish suspended in 60 to 40 FOW. Tried bottom for a while but that is where the lookers were. The fish seemed to get aggressive at dusk during the storm on Friday but not at the same time on Sunday.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:55 am 
Walleye Angler

we used to get them a bit shallower, last year my son hooked one just off the bank in about 10-15 fow on the east side of the lake. all we use is a white tube also. do you get on lake at the Sydenham road end ? Davidson beach area is always good, I just fish right on the edge of the drop out there....like you say lots of suspended fish :)

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:10 pm 
Walleye Angler

I do go out from Loughborough lake lane off Sydenham. Was out there again today for a few hours. Fished the same spot that I got one to the hole last week. Fished with two rods, one dead stick on the bottom with a smelt and another with a white tube working between 60 and 20FT, not even a looker at those depths. A couple of times I dropped the tube down just off the bottom but could not get anything to follow more that 10FT up. As soon as I started to reel up they would drop back down. To get the smelt to the bottom I used a light jig, I put the jig head inside the smelts mouth with the hook coming out the back and attached a trailer treble to the tail...not one bite. I could see them coming by and taking look but the line never moved other then when I caught the line myself at 40ft down with the other rod. Got excited for a minute until I realized what I had done. What a mess. Ended up cutting the birds nest out with 40 - 60FT of line hanging in the hole. I wrapped the end around my boot while I reconnected it to my rod with a uni knot praying something did not grab the smelt while I was doing it. BTW Those smelt from Glenburnie groceries pretty much fall apart from being frozen. Next time I head out I will look for shallower water. May be heading to Howes lake for some crappie next time out, Three skunks in a row at Loughborough, I need to catch something...lol.

Last edited by Comit on Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:20 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Hey Comit
I was there this afternoon, tried first by the creek, not one mark. Went further east close to a black hub and tried at 100fow. Had two hits, one was light and the second hammered it, lost him 3 times...lol I was using a 3in tube with a buckshot inside and a minnow on the end. The minnow was mangled so I figure he was bitting short, put on a stinger but no more hits, a few more came in and looked but that was it, left at 5:10. Might hit huffs tomorrow or back for trout not sure.
Tim

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:23 pm 
Walleye

Just curious why the trout are not able to reproduce

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:42 pm 
Walleye Angler

I read on the MNR site that they have limited reproduction there.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:44 pm 
Walleye Angler

Tylercurt wrote:
Hey Comit
I was there this afternoon, tried first by the creek, not one mark. Went further east close to a black hub and tried at 100fow. Had two hits, one was light and the second hammered it, lost him 3 times...lol I was using a 3in tube with a buckshot inside and a minnow on the end. The minnow was mangled so I figure he was bitting short, put on a stinger but no more hits, a few more came in and looked but that was it, left at 5:10. Might hit huffs tomorrow or back for trout not sure.
Tim

Was that you outside my door dressed in green? I was in the black sub zero. were you fishing around 40'? There was a big mark on my flasher for an hour at 40' that disappeared just after 5. I stayed until close to 6 but did not see anything after 5. I am off the ice until next week... have to work tomorrow and need to spend valentines and family day weekend with the family. Don't want to end up in the dog house...lol.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:50 pm 
Walleye Angler

Went back to Loughborough today. I usually go out with full gear: hut, heater, floater suit, etc but today I did not have much time so I just went out with the necessities rod, tackle, flasher and auger in my coat and snow pants. I was only there for an hour or so and it seemed like a different lake. Started marking fish instantly. Marked 20 fish but was hard to get them to commit, got three bites and iced one 3lber. Almost lost him as the hook fell out as I pulled him through the hole and he fell right back in. My gloves got pretty wet but am ready for valentines day dinner, my wife favorite pan roasted trout....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:35 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Nice fish!!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:51 pm 
Walleye Angler

Tylercurt wrote:
Nice fish!!!

TY.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:24 am 
Jumbo Perch

If you are ever up in the Ottawa Valley, and want to try for Lakers or Splake, give me a shout, and if I am available when you can we can give it a shot. Couple lakes around Barry's Bay I wouldn't mind trying for Lakers (been to both, had success at both, but been awhile for myself), and my go to for Splake is further North around Stonecliffe, with the option to shoot for some Rainbows not far away.

Never hurts to try different spots than you are used to...

And gives you a change of scenery...

Oh, BTW, still flasherless, been doing it Old School for quite awhile...

One of these days I have to get me one of them goldarned contraptions...

Still like the Willow Switches for some reason when it comes to Trout... lol

OVFisherman

Last edited by OVFisherman on Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:46 am 
Walleye Angler

nice trout comit, persistence pays off :)

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:03 am 
Walleye Angler

Hey Musky...........here's an article that relates to your reproduction question http://www.outdoornews.com/April-2013/L ... naturally/

banner ad