Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 2:24 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:04 pm 
Walleye Angler

1st time on BoQ in 2 years last Thursday, got a nice 4 pounder in Hay Bay, but marked nothing else decent on the Ice 55 and only a few perch came through the hole.

Tomorrow afternoon I'm taking my buddy's dad out for a try. He's 77 and only goes twice/year (missed last hard water season, but take him once in the summer too). Would take him more but raising 3 kids doesn't leave a whole lot of time. Anyway, this is the 4th try over the last 5 years and we've yet to get a pickerel. Tried Hay Bay, Pt. Anne, Herchimer, but no luck, and a guide isn't in the budget unfortunately. So, at the risk of raising the ire of those fishermen who put the long hours and effort in to find the fish, I'm asking for some general areas (not looking for a GPS coordinate! perhaps a pm) where the pickerel have been concentrated lately so I can put this old timer on a fish. He's a good man and gets out so rarely, I'd like to see him nail one before these trips come to an end. All I can offer in return is a report on how we did, and hopefully a picture of him with a nice pickerel. If I don't hear back from anyone, we'll likely try Pt. Anne, or maybe Huffs but I havnt ever been there so not sure about parking - green 97 skidoo touring 380 pulling a Clam Nanook ... come by and say hello, maybe we'll have a fish to show off! Thanks in advance.

P.S. a few years ago at Herchimer with this same fellow, my skidoo died before even getting it off the trailer. within minutes there were 3 regular local fellows who noticed our troubles and offered to take us both out, with my clam. Just wanted to share that story about the quality character that the BoQ fishermen displayed that day.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:36 pm 
Walleye

I'll help ya out bud. Since you have a sled that will help quite a bit. Go to Hay Bay Take river road all the way to Bayview drive (road past Shermans PT road) Go to the end, there is the public boat launch. From there many head straight out about 300' off shore, you will be in 22 FOW but if ya have the sled hang a right and head towards Shermans point, set up 1/2 way between the point and the red bouy, if you are on top of the shoal it will be about 17 FOW punch holes going towards the high bank and find the drop off.. I did well there a few weeks ago in 27FOW mid day, come up into the shallows for perch and at sundown for the night bite.

Lots of luck

If that dosent work, its not a long hike on the sled to Huffs

teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Show him a fishing show, bore him to death...

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:37 pm 
Minnow

try huffs .the fish are spread out over the whole bay.huffs has 5 dollar parking not to far from shore.i don't think they are biting better in one place than another.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:04 pm 
Walleye Master

all of long reach is holding fish you have a sled you can be mobile this is a very good thing right now the ice is best its been in years so there isn't a lot to worry about.... remember the better ice is in the middle so stay away from shore right now with a sled you can park in dez way east of the bridge around mill street give fosters a wide birth head south and run the reach. set up and fish if your not marking in 30 minutes its time to move a few hundred yards and set up again..... move till you start marking fish then catch a few a thing to remember is we have had a lot of snow so watch where you park snow plow guys are cranky and call cops and people get towed so look for good safe parking. then sled off and enjoy the fishing

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:47 pm 
Walleye Angler

tks very much for all the advice. I think i'll get minnows at Moons, park down Mill St (never launched there before, but assume there's parking) and cross over to The Reach and work all the way down to Shermans, depending on how things go. hope to have a pic or 2 to post!

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:31 am 
Walleye

Jamie99 wrote:
tks very much for all the advice. I think i'll get minnows at Moons, park down Mill St (never launched there before, but assume there's parking) and cross over to The Reach and work all the way down to Shermans, depending on how things go. hope to have a pic or 2 to post!

Well???

We went out sunday but travel was impossible with the Quad so we just walked out from the cottage, Bunch of Jumbos but no gold came to play..

teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Show him a fishing show, bore him to death...

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:37 pm 
Walleye Catcher

As Grizz said the reach is holding fish, with a sled you can get away from the crowds and try a different spots. Cataraqui shoal would be a good spot, and they have been getting fish near Hickory Lane. There is 10" of ice over most of the reach, BUT NOT ALL! We found some spots on the county side over deeper water (40-45') that had 4" ice and we also saw some spots that looked like they were holes, where the snow had sunk and had wet spots.
Huffs has very good parking for $5 and you can get to just about any place up the reach. Good luck

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:37 pm 
Walleye Fry

if go to moons head south take a right and park @ boat launch plenty of parking there

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:49 pm 
Walleye Angler

tks for the advice from everyone. we launched in deseronto and headed towards the reach but the slush killed our day. didn't even drop a line. next year hopefully we have better conditions.

banner ad
banner ad