Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sherman's Point - Huff's
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:47 pm 
Walleye

A little late on the report but was up at Quinte for eyes this past Thurs/Fri. Second time out on Quinte for eyes but first time without a guide. Didn't get into any fish the first time and didn't learn a whole lot either but that was a few years back and I figured I'd give it a shot just me and a buddy.

Since i did all the research I could in terms of what lures to use, jigging technique, where to fish, access spots etc... i decided to try Sherman's Point the first day. 1.5 km walk? No problem. i have walked out about 3 km on Simcoe numerous times. One difference, Simcoe never had 2+feet of snow on top of slush when I made those walks. Took a lot longer than planned to get from the launch but we made it (prob about 40 mins). At this point it's well past first light but we drilled some holes and start fishing. I really had no idea what to expect over the next day and a half but within 10 mins my buddy says he has a fish on but loses it shortly after. Well this is a good sign. 5 mins later he says he has another one on and lands it! A nice 2.5 lber. This is good as he doesn't even have a sonar. Next it was my turn, about the same size. Within the next 30 mins we each caught 3 eyes each and out of that, 4 were about 2.5-3lbs and 2 were 1lbs. After that I wasn't really marking much. We moved deeper during the day and back in to our original spot at about 3pm but not another bite.

Now for the fun part. After checking the forecast for the day before driving to Quinte it looked like we were going to have a couple of decent days weather wise. Well at about 3pm (i could be a bit off with my times) a bit of a snow storm comes in. Didn't really start off too bad but when we decided to call it quits it really picked up. Wind was blowing at our back so figured it would help us. Though it was definitely better than blowing against us it really didn't seem to speed up the walking. Mainly it just blew snow in our faces to the point where we could hardly see never mind already barley being able to see the lights on the shoreline. So if anybody by chance lives out that way and saw 2 guys, or should i saw 2 lights moving about and slowly making their way east from Sherman's Point, that was us. Took us about 1hr45 to get back to the car and we were exhausted. You live and you learn right. Now I know not to make that trek when there is that much snow or until I have a sled.

Second day we were only going to stay until about noon. Not a chance we were going to hit up Sherman's again. We were looking for the shortest walk possible knowing what the conditions were like so I decided to try off Huff's. Got to Huff's early, unloaded our stuff and started walking out and right away started having thoughts of our previous evening's adventure but I knew we weren't having to walk too far this time. Conditions really sucked for walking that was for sure. We got out to our spot and figured this was going to be our spot for the day. Started off slow but then I started seeing more action on the sonar. Many fish coming thru. This was good because I could actually start figuring out what would keep their attention and trigger them to bite. About 10:30am i ended up with a nice 2.5lb eye but this one came in quick and smacked the spoon. Next 2 I got were about 1lb and 3.5lbs and both I had to work up off the bottom. My buddy ended up with zero fish for the morning unfortunately. I had some big marks show up on the screen but couldn't entice them. Not even sure if they were eyes really.

Decided to leave at noon and guess what? After the previous nights forecast said no snow, we were in another snow storm lol. Not nearly as bad as the previous night. Got packed up and headed back to the hammer just in time to hit rush hour traffic, lol.

Overall a great trip, minus all the walking. Landed some fish and learned a few things. No pics taken this trip. Hopefully I'll be able to make it back a couple times before the close as I really want to get a pic with a double digit eye. The simcoe perch can wait until March :)

J

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:53 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Thanks for sharing your adventure to Shermans.

We went out from the launch ramp in the fog and got turned around and ended up by the Shermans Red Buoy. Heard voices and headed west and heard the highway on the county side and eventually ended up about 50' from where we wanted to be.

We DON'T do that anymore!!!!!

David aka Superdad

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:09 pm 
Walleye Fry

pack a compass and shoot a bearing before heading out. Have fished almost storm this season and was only skunked once

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:53 pm 
Perch

I went out to Sherman's today. A lot of snow to tredge through. Exhausting! Spent most of the day out there with no luck. Maybe next time.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:24 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I was at Huffs today, managed a small one, tough bite, lots of lookers just hard to keep them interested. Few trails you can follow but once off them it's a tough walk.
Tim

banner ad
banner ad