Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:08 pm 
Walleye

Does anybody know if there are any big differences between the old Humminbird models vs. the new ones?? I have found the new models are priced quite a bit less than the old models (at regular price). Example, I have found the Humminbird 998c HD si combo on sale for $1199 however regular price is $2089.99. Great discount however, the new models 999 HD ci are priced around $1500-$1600 regular price.

From what I can see these models are almost identical. Normally you wouldn't think that new models (no matter what it is) would be priced that much lower than the old at regular price.

Anybody have any ideas? Are the new one's made with lesser quality parts or maybe they have just been able to lower their costs and in turn forwarded that on to their customers?

J

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:56 pm 
Jumbo Perch

I am wondering the same thing J.. I will be at Grimsby Tackle this weekend and Martin is pretty educated on the Humminbirds, so I will see if he knows :) I almost bought a discounted 958ci HD DI, but I will be checking out the new 959's pretty close now..

Adam

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:12 am 
Walleye

I have yet to speak with someone at a store that has been able to really give me much info about the two or any reason as to why the price difference. If you find out any info please share Adam. Would really appreciate it.

J

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:50 pm 
Jumbo Perch

Martin says because they have gone with a built in GPS antenna instead of the separate puck and a cheaper non-stainless style Ethernet plug they have been able to save about $300-350 right off the hop and they have also lowered the pricing slightly to compete better with other brands.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:07 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I have been trying to make decision as well on which to buy. I am wondering If I get the 998 HD SI, if I will be kicking myself in a few years because I didn't go with touchscreen. Decisions, decisions!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:43 pm 
Jumbo Perch

For me touch screens are nice and have their place, but in my boat is not the place.. Wet, sweaty, cold, hot, slimy, wormy, dirty, bloody finger prints all over the screen doesn't really appeal to me :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:47 pm 
Walleye

Thanks for the info Adam. The ethernet plug is not something I really plan on using and I rather have the gps built in rather than a separate puck. I think I will just wait on getting the unit. The new 800 series (the one i was planning on getting) with side imaging is still a couple hundred dollars less than the old 900 unit on sale. It's a great discount off the original price but when compared to the new units it doesn't make sense for me.

J