Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:31 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

One of the recent topics had a video on walleye fishing in the spring and the speaker indicated the use of a planer board when in shallow water to keep the lure away from under the boat. I looked at the Offshore® Side-Planer and it has a decent rating, anyone use this or any other models you can suggest.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:07 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Offshore is the best I've used. The quality is second to none. I've never had one break even after being stepped on. The tattle flag option is great for small walleye and perch and if rigged properly running them in rough water is easy!

Facebook: http://facebook.com/trophywalleye
Twitter: @pbandjcharters

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:40 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Just make sure you get the new clips with the pin, lost a board this fall in the waves when brining a fish in.
Tim

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:19 pm 
Walleye Angler

I run the church brand from can tire, clip on the front and pin on the back, happy with the way they work once the weight is set right, bait has run from TD 11 to the large stretch baits diving 30 ft. Do not have the flags sometimes (not all) wish I did,
Cheers Rob

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:54 pm 
Walleye Master

If you go on youtube and type in "shallow water walleye trolling" or something like that, there will be a few different videos from Mark Romanack also on this topic. I believe he is an Offshore Pro Staffer, and one of the guys that came up with the Precision Trolling Guide.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:38 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Off Shores have been our choice and they haven't let us down.

Find the post for homemade tattle flags - a WHOLE lot cheaper and they work well.

Reports I've had about the Church boards is that the pin at the back freezes when the serious fall fishing happens.

David aka Superdad

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:39 pm 
Walleye Master

I have used off shores , church walleye boards, and Z boards and blue bird boards, they all work pretty much the same yet each one acts different in different conditions I myself think the church walleye board is best for my type of fishing they seem to pull consistent every time regardless of what lure you are running be it a musky bait. a deep diver or a spoon , I cant say I find that same feeling from all the other boards . and I wont knock the other boards either I've tried them I've caught fish with them so how bad can any of them be? thing to think about is walleye boards also run the best right out of the box no need to update clips like off shores Z boards are great when pulling the heavy stuff like lead core and a deep diver they wont drop back far . off shores shine like a dime when it comes to choppy water fishing when set right they can skip right over the chop and add lots of action to the board and lure........ Fishing the Grand slam we have and use them all setting a spread is fun when you know how they all run in the same conditions

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:01 am 
Walleye Catcher

Another vote for Offshore, and as mentioned they work best if you upgrade the releases which is a must. In my opinion because of the size of the fish we get here I do not think the tattle flag is a must (especially if you buy them) if you make them then do it as its super easy and can be done cheap. I find that my reels line out alarm works as good as the flag. Now I noticed fishing Erie the flag is a little more important with the smaller fish. The upgrade of the release adds a few bucks to the package but I have never lost a board and just in case I have my name and number on my boards as you never know...

www.limestonecityfishingcharters.com
YouTube Jim Lyon Fishing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:10 pm 
Walleye

Buy whatever is on sale. they all come with infrerior clips that need to be replaced. So not only do they charge you a fortune for them the basic parts need to be replaced with ones that work more appropriately. The Red ones are the best for the price. for walleyes they are good for a year or so. Need to replace the main clip as it wears out from braid after a year with the better metal clips. Why don't they put them on in the first place. The black clip on the off shores wont hold braid. tattle flags are for people who don't pay attention. If you only run 2 boards run them on the same side cause it is so much easier to tell when you get a small fish. One sags back in the spread.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:20 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

For 2014, the Offshore boards are shipping with an OR-16 (red) clip on the back.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:20 pm 
Walleye Master

Offshore boards for sure. They now come rigged with good clips right out of the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:30 pm 
Walleye Master

The ones I made from cedar with the better clips. They happen to be the same size, shape and colour as the Offshore one I paid $45 for. The clips are located in the same spot as well. I screwed a couple tire weights to the bottom. The cedar sits flatter in the water than plastic and styrofoam with the same lure and makes it easier to tell if a fish is on. And 1/4 the cost.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:54 pm 
Walleye Angler

Offshore hands down.

banner ad