Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:27 pm 
Walleye Angler

Any one have any info or depths charts of these lakes or know where I can get one? (preferably upper rock). I went to Upper Rock today and only marked two fish. I drilled 3 holes a very short distance from shore and all within 20ft of each other to check some depths and one was 35' one was at 45' and the other 75'. Quite the difference in 20'. I have never fished the lake before and decided to set up my hut and drilled two more holes at the 45' mark as there were old holes surrounding this spot. I dropped a plain hook with a minnow on it to the bottom and left it there for a while in the one hole and jigged the other with a very small plain silver pimple with a minnow on it. I also tried a white tube with a minnow hooked on for a while. A couple fish followed my line up when I had the tube on it but did not bite and nothing seemed to take interest in the dead stick with the minnow. I moved the minnow to the 35' spot and set it up on a tip up but did not make a difference.

Anyone have any advice of where I should be heading on that lake? I was just off the small island out from the creek at the launch but don't mind walking a bit if there is somewhere better. Also any suggestions what lures I be using for splake? Someone told me silver spoons work well.

Please PM me if you are willing to share some advice.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:28 am 
Walleye Catcher

I have had good luck on another lake for splake with a minnow just below the surface of the ice. Have seen them on dog lake swim right past your hole. Small spoons sound like a good idea, we have done well on the lake trout with cleos. I don't target splake very often so I don't have a lot to offer

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:37 am 
Walleye Fingerling

Draper has not been stocked in years and the remaining splake are very hard to find. I grew up on shales rd and have done my fair share of fishing on draper. It used to be awesome about 5 years ago! I would stick with rock. Their are some dandies in there! It is still regularly stocked aswell. Good Luck

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:58 am 
Walleye Catcher

Cronk lake may be another option, it is not far from Draper and access is pretty good

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:16 pm 
Perch

no advice on these lakes but for splake I use a small Williams half and half or small Swedish pimple

picture of half and half

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=vKUuxj-wFKu4eM&tbnid=B4CfCsXI0SmNaM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.williams.ca%2F1-4oz-ice-jig-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11&ei=B4APU4W3NKae2QWYj4Eo&bvm=bv.61965928,d.b2I&psig=AFQjCNG2e8MSf7IwNsnjKejnkw6qOs061g&ust=1393611129827622

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:41 pm 
Walleye

I was at Upper Rock not too long ago and was literally the exact same story for me (fished 30-65 FOW all holes within about 20 ft), i have since learned from talking to a couple guys who are familiar with Upper Rock that you want to try and target 15-25 FOW, not too far out from some off the smaller bays to the side, I have had absolutely no luck finding a depth chart as well but will share if I find one. Now I was also fishing in the afternoon and have no idea the best times to fish!

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:29 pm 
Jumbo Perch

Pretty much the same advice I gave by PM. Ktownfire.... fish in 10 to 20 ft range...better success

Oh. and if you are going to jig.... Silver is best, and chunks of Perch meat are better than minnows believe it or not... Just the advice of an oldtimer on the lake that I received while taking the time to chat him up....

But then again. what do I know as I have yet to get my first Quinte Walleye.... lol

OVFisherman

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:38 pm 
Walleye Angler

OVFisherman wrote:
Pretty much the same advice I gave by PM. Ktownfire.... fish in 10 to 20 ft range...better success

Oh. and if you are going to jig.... Silver is best, and chunks of Perch meat are better than minnows believe it or not... Just the advice of an oldtimer on the lake that I received while taking the time to chat him up....

But then again. what do I know as I have yet to get my first Quinte Walleye.... lol

I was told a story today about perch but it was not the meat, I was told to use a fin as it stays on along time. The guy was telling me a story about his dad who uses a perch fin to fish for perch.
beatthecat wrote:

Almost bought one of those yesterday... I was looking for something small as most of my spoons are quite large. I ended up getting a 1/4oz little cleo hammered in half blue and half silver and a regular williams 1/4oz silver spoon.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:50 pm 
Walleye Angler

What about a good old piece of worm on the spoons? A friend from Newfoundland say all he has ever caught brookies on through the ice was worms. I collected about 120 of them in the late fall and put them in a styrofoam cooler full of bedding and they are thriving. I tried them once over the winter for perch but they seemed to prefer the minnows so I never brought them out again. They worms have been breeding in there over the winter and I now have a slew of 1-2" baby ones in there as well. I am going to pull these little ones out and put them back in the garden in the spring if I dont end up dumping the whole cooler back in there.

banner ad
banner ad