Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Oct 12, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Little Things?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:50 am 
Walleye Master

While I was up this past week and sitting on he ice I was thinking of some of the little things I do that give me confidence while jigging for walleye. Some are superstitious, some may help but I was wondering what others do? Here are a couple of things that come to mind. C'mon spill the beans. i am sure i have more but these are the ones that come to mind on this sunday morning

1. I find myself bringing a cup to bail water out of the minnow bucket and i fel like this may attract fish by putting a scent and particle in the water. I also add water one cup at a time, maybe every 10 minutes to allow minnows to adjust. I might take 3-4 cups out but then I ad the water back in slowly. This also adds oxygen to the bucket and makes for spunkier minnows. Always change your minnow water right before you pack it up for the day.

2. I have an musical artist that i listen to while jig. I seem to always do better when i have him on. Maybe it actually affects my jigging pattern. Puts me in the zone :D

3. I will never jig with less than 2 minnows. If I have a monster on the flasher and I feel like he just stole a minnow or one fell off, i will reel up and add another. I have no confidence unless i have 2 minnows on my jig. 9 out of 10 times as soon as i drop it back down the fish will still be there and sometimes more aggressive.

4. I always hook one minnow through the head and the other through the jaw. When i pull up and i see a minnow is missing, i hook it though the opposite way of the remaining minnow.

5. I like to drill another hole 20-30 foot away from where my hut is. (the release hole) I feel like releasing them down the hole that i pulled it out of is a way to either spook other fish down there or maybe they have some sort of noise or way they act when they get down there that laerts fish to the danger. Again, may be stupid but confidence is a key on the bay.

6. Before i ever start jigging, I put a little Berkely Marinade on my fingers and the lure. I am not sure it attracts fish but maybe it's the difference in a fish sniffing and striking because he smells my monster energy drink or crackers or whatever else may have been on my touch.

7. When i drop a jig down i will not drop all the way to the bottom, i watch it on the flasher and stop it 10 feet or so above bottom and then jig it down . I've seen too many times where that has spooked fish.

8. I change hooks often. the thumbnail test is a good indicator. If it slides easy on your thumbnail, change it! Who bothers with sharpening? We spend how much money fishing on the bay? Just change the thing out because a few hooks is a small penny in the big scheme of what we spend. Think about it, that's the only thing that comes in contact with he fish and maybe most important.

9. RED HOOKS!!!!!!

10. i won't ever jig a side hooked minnow. If the hook wraps around and side hooks one on my minnows, it comes up and gets changed. I can easily feel this if it happens.

11. Here is one that makes me look like an idiot but i doubt i am the only one who has ever done this. When i feel like im caught in a certain jigging pattern and need to switch things up a little because the bite is slow, i will throw a dead minnow in my jigging hole and try to lift it or bounce it around with the line . :oops: It mixes up my action and if you have ever done this you know what i am talking about. Not saying it works, just saying that i do it.

Post subject: Re: The Little Things?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:12 am 
Jumbo Perch

Wow, some good pointers there. We always change out our minnow water but that is about it. Never tried 2 minnows, maybe that's our problem and I like the idea of a release hole.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:30 am 
Walleye

I have heard wd40 is a good attractant also, haven't tried it though

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:34 am 
Walleye Master

I have heard that as well but this comes directly from WD40's website

What a Fish story!
Myth: WD-40 contains fish oil.
Fact:
Consumers have told us over the years that they have caught some of the biggest fish ever after protecting their fish hooks and lures with WD-40. We believe this legend came from folks assuming that the product must contain fish oil since it appears to attract fish. Sorry Charlie®, it just ain’t so.

WD-40 Company has taken steps to respect and conserve the environment, and encourages its users to do the same. While WD-40 can be used to help protect fishing equipment from rust and corrosion, WD-40 Company does not recommend using WD-40 to attract fish.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:53 am 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

I can recall many years ago, people hiding their spray cans of WD-40 under the gunnels of their tinnies as they sprayed their lures. Never figured out if they caught any more than we did.

Thanks for your tips on jigging Mike.

David aka Superdad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:42 am 
Walleye

#11!!!!!
I do it all the time! When the fishing is slow, I knock a little dime sized piece of ice in my hole and get a good ole game of hockey going on with my line as the stick. Actually caught quite a few this year doing this. Glad to here I'm not the only one that plays around in his hole! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:48 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Great post Landshark. I do many of the same....2 minnows, thumbnail hook test and swap-out, no side hooked bait. That WD-40 one is something I've heard many times from old timers...seems like BS and I work hard to avoid any un-natural scents on my baits, but I have seen a guy douse baits with WD-40 and do quite well. I still won't do it, but I don't thing it's as bad as most would think....for the bite anyway, certainly not good for the water. No lucky hat?

Post subject: The Little Things?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:57 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Lol at last one ... Totally guilty I use rod tip to play a similar game ... Also been guilty of being to focused on minnow and missed a strike...

Facebook: http://facebook.com/trophywalleye
Twitter: @pbandjcharters

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:17 pm 
Walleye

great post land shark

banner ad