Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Oct 13, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Quick question on reels
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:53 pm 
Guppy

Hey guys. So I got home just a while ago from my last fish of the year on the hard water . Got skunked and walked back with a heavy heart. Now as I'm watching the leafs play these bums I've gotten out my poles and gear for summer and started to sort tackle and figure out what I need and so on (early I know but I figured why not while I was putting the ice gear away)But I want to clean my reels and oil them up. Just wondering what I should use? Is wd40 ok or should I wait and maybe get some rem oil or something like that? Thanks guys & oh ya hey 63 days until fishing season.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:02 am 
Walleye Wisdom

What a great morning to be a Habs fan!!!! Feels good to cheer for a winning team!!! :lol: What kind of reels are you cleaning up?? Spinning reels, level winds??????? Makes a difference on the drag systems. For instance I don't grease my salmon reels. A drop of oil in each is all I do.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:41 am 
Walleye Fry

Do not use wd40 as a lubricant. It is a de-greaser. You can use it to clean parts but not great for lube.

Best thing to do is take apart the reel and clean everything using carb cleaner. Wd40 is fine too.

After you have it all cleaned up you can do a couple things. If you want to fully protect the whole reel, including casing, you should:

1) Oil all moving parts using a quality reel oil. Gears, springs, etc.
2) It is best to grease all bearings but oil will work as well. It will not last nearly as long or provide the same waterproofing though.
3) You will have to look up what is best for your specific drags. Some are meant to be dry, some with oil, others with grease. I use carbontex drags on all my reels and use a grease designed for drags.
4) Grease everything else, including your reel frame. Grease all screws that hold it together. This keeps water out and if water does get in protects things.

Next best thing is to just oil everything up in place.

Google alan tani reels and his site has specific recommendations for everything and tutorials on how to rebuild reels. You can usually find comparable products locally without ordering the specific ones he mentions online.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:08 pm 
Guppy

I suppose I deserved that little dig pickerel killer. It was still a heck of a game last Saturday & as much as I hate the habs what a pick up they made today at the deadline.

Thanks for the feed back. I was more worried about some of my bait casters they were pretty mucked up but I went ahead and cleaned all of my reels up including my spinning reels. I used my head and looked on this thing we call the internet and found a few good videos & tips. This is the best one I found

http://youtu.be/MDi_BTQd_NA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:33 pm 
Minnow

I have used a product called clp breakfree which is designed for guns and guaranteed not to freeze up and it worked well for me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:42 pm 
Walleye

I use a 50/50 mix of 3 in 1 and wd 40 works good. My mitchel garcia 308 from 1970's requires a more tlc approach haha

banner ad