banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Interesting article
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:03 pm 
Walleye Master

With the trophy walleye fishery we have here too. I find the comments about the effect of harvesting trophy fish interesting.

http://seattletimes.com/html/outdoors/2 ... yexml.html

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

Post subject: Re: Interesting article
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:53 pm 
Walleye Master

thanks for posting that...

will make me feel even less remorse when my trophy gets bonked.

there was also an important point about the replica...you can't get a replica done when there isn't a mold to make it with...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:29 pm 
Walleye Master

Well that is a dandy fish for sure and hats off to him for his record catch. I have no problem with him keeping this once in a lifetime beauty and yes they do carry allot of spawn but if taken in moderation will not hurt the fishery. Many of your smaller 5 lb and up play a very big part in the spawning and produce some very good eggs and that is what it takes to keep a fishery alive and well. I myself have no interest in keeping big fish as I don't care to eat them and to me a picture is a good as a wall mount but if a guy hooks into a hog like that and wants to keep it I am not about to bash him for it as long as the rules are followed and the fishery it was taken from can support this kind of loss. I am sure if there were a shortage of fish there they would put rules in place to protect that fishery. I see way more damage done by overfishing that I do large fish being taken. Fred...

Fishy Fishy In The Bay, Bite This Line And Make My Day....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:38 pm 
Walleye Master

Interesting read......... I guess we all have opinions on fish. and best size to keep or not keep and for what reasons......... for years here ive seen and heard people say put the big ones back your killing the populations. yadda yadda yadda ....ive always felt best to put back are the 7 or 8 pounders they have a lot to offer as far as good productive spawning years where a fish 12 pound plus is likely nearing the end of its most productive cycle.......... what is a trophy ? / good question......... I come from an area where a 22 onch walleye is a real trophy so being part of quinte its no big deal to boast about a 22 inch fish so we can imagin when someone from distant lands comes here and boats a 12 pounder...... is it wrong for them to want to mount it on there walls? heck no not in my opinion it isn't! I guess in the same id have to laugh if a guy netter a 12 ounder and said yummy I wanna take this baby home and eat it lol yuck why would you? fish that big may have spent 20 years in heavily polluted waters even a 7 pounder is really pushing that could be 12- 15 years old I guess just about everyone here will agree 16 inches is a great eating fish anything above that should be considered for a quick release and a trophy is anything your willing to pay a taxidermist to mount . I guess this is how I see it anyways!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:08 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I would say the author of this article is one of those people who are upset with him for keeping the fish. Just by some of the language he uses. I say congratulations to him (the fisherman). I imagine this is going to be quite a busy post with lots of responses. Just remember....... in the early 80's there was almost a moratorium on Quinte saying the Walleye fishery was almost dead. But... with conservation and education, it has bounced back nicely.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:02 pm 
Walleye Master

I agree with the above posts. Walleye in the 3-8 pound range will produce eggs for many many years. Keeping these fish in the water I'd say would be more important. Quinte needs a slot size...I don't think the walleye population is in any danger, but why not make it even better?? Everybody knows the 1.5-2 pounders are the best ones to eat anyways. Keeping these fish in the water would also help reduce the panfish population.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:05 pm 
Walleye Angler

I kind of got the opposite idea Dave. He called the folks calling for the release of the fish "catch and release zealots." That's generally a negative term in reporter speak (but you didn't hear that from me!)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:10 am 
Walleye Catcher

I don't eat fish.....but it seems if you keep 1 fish and post it you are vilified for doing so which just isn't right. You would have to think that the really big fish are at the end of their life cycle. I have stated my thoughts on this before and if you catch a fish legally and are not going to waste it then no one has a right to belittle you.

www.limestonecityfishingcharters.com
YouTube Jim Lyon Fishing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:24 am 
Walleye Angler

Man if i caught an eye that big, for sure its going on the wall ( i don't believe in fiberglass bs) as long as it is in the confines of the law, its really a mute point on the merits of the fish being kept or not. These examples imho bring out the enviro-hipster ass hat that tries to make a point for the sake of his beliefs.

In summary; legal fish = have at her haus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:37 am 
Minnow

A few years ago I was drafted into ferrying MNR biologists around to do lake trout surveys while they were spawning which led to some interesting conversations . I was told that the big old fish were less successful in spawning due to age and then they were guilty of preying on the younger fish and walleye are known to be cannibalistic . This seems to be born out by genetic studies on people as younger people have an easier time having healthy kids . Thankfully only politicians eat the young !

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:21 am 
Walleye

Walleye 9 wrote:
I agree with the above posts. Walleye in the 3-8 pound range will produce eggs for many many years. Keeping these fish in the water I'd say would be more important. Quinte needs a slot size...I don't think the walleye population is in any danger, but why not make it even better?? Everybody knows the 1.5-2 pounders are the best ones to eat anyways. Keeping these fish in the water would also help reduce the panfish population.

I would not enjoy the slot. Personally myself, I do not keep any fish over 4lbs, but the problem with the slot, is some people drive a great distance to fish quinte. They could have an unlucky weekend and end up not being able to keep a fish or two because of the slot.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:29 am 
Walleye

Good link scott great info and read

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:12 am 
Walleye Angler

I have no actual experience in breeding animals, but have spoken with dog breeders over the years and just got certain impressions from books, movies and conversations over the years. My impression is that animals develope into their prime breeding age, they peak at a approxamite age/ size, then they age out with lower sperm counts, smaller litter sizes, etc.
Now remember this is not a qualified person on conservation, but if the best breeders fall in the UNDER the 6/7 pound mark, could the majority of us be keeping the best breeders for our legal table fare and returning the larger mediocre stock back. Just something to think about.
Cheers Rob

banner ad