Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 1:23 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:33 am 
Baitfish

I was reading a fishing magazine out of the U.S. and they were raving about the results they were getting running a small (6 inches) in line, chrome flasher about 2 feet in front of their lure...for walleye !
I know flashers are primarily a salmon or laker thing. Has anybody heard of using them for walleyes ?

Post subject: Flashers
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:32 am 
Baitfish

Sorry for the "double post" but I thought calling them "flashers" might be confusing. I think the official name is "Dodgers" or "Trolling Attractors".

ALSO

they referred to this product that I then went and found on the web. Seems a little "gimmicky" but if it works and takes your lure down and out for $ 40/ea it would be a pretty good buy.

http://www.lureleader.com/features.html

banner ad
 Post subject: walleye flashers
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:27 pm 
Minnow

We have been using silver flashers, usually a flutter spoon, for a number of year ahead of worm harness rigs, on both bottombouncers and inline weights.
Personally I have never tried them in front of a crankbait. I sort think a properly tuned crank would lose some action by this addition. Somebody tell me it they have tried this.
Greg Horoky

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:29 pm 
Walleye

Hi all.
I read about guys using 4 inch blades about 6 feet ahead of the crank on Saginaw Bay. It was a tourney but the technique seemed to be a local thing. It was apparently a good thing. I have tried it while my partner didn't and found the catch rate to be about the same under normal conditions, but the blade worked better when the bite was slow. I am going to give it a try in Quinte very soon.
Cheers Clark

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:11 pm 
Minnow

A similar tactic is to tie on a three way swivel with two leads. A 4 footer and a 2 footer. Tie a diving crank to the four footer and a light spoon to the two footer. Double up on lures.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:36 pm 
Walleye Angler

I have used a flasher for both ice fishing and jigging for lake trout on occasion. Just a few nice tugs for what was a generally productive technique, usually on a separate line. They seem to take them much more seriously in BC with oodles in stock in most serious fishing tackle retail departments.

Regards
Don Stokes

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:31 pm 
Walleye Angler

Quote:
A similar tactic is to tie on a three way swivel with two leads. A 4 footer and a 2 footer. Tie a diving crank to the four footer and a light spoon to the two footer. Double up on lures.

Is that legal? Or do they count the number of hooks on one line? I read one post, "another forum" where a fella casted one rod then picked up his other rod. :? Maybe your spoon has no hook ??

Sorry, just wondering.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:37 pm 
Baitfish

I'm not sure how the "double lure" using a three way swivel would be any different than running a cheater line with a flutter spoon when you're downrigging for salmon and I'm pretty sure that's legal because I've seen the charter guys do it.

banner ad
 Post subject: Yes is legal
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:56 pm 
Site Admin

I believe i is legal,
I have a copy of the regs and on the topic of hooks it states

.... "A fishing line must not have more than 4 hooks attached. Where an artifical lure is used, each double or treble hook attached to it is considered to be one hook.".....

SO..If an artifical is used each double or treble hook is counted as one. a typical crankbait with 2 trebles counts as 2 hooks and if it has 3 trebles it counts as 3 hooks. Adding a slider, with a spoon and a treble, would be within the legal limits with most crankbaits.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:29 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I've seen people actually remove a treble from the larger crank as well so they end up with 2 hooks on each :!:

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:21 am 
Walleye Angler

It is next to impossible to find treble hooks fixed to any lure sold in most tackle shops I have seen in BC., let alone a lot of waters are barbless. I actually hope this comes to Ontario, at some point.

Regards
Don Stokes

banner ad
 Post subject: Re: walleye flashers
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:21 am 
Walleye Angler

GHoroky wrote:
We have been using silver flashers, usually a flutter spoon, for a number of year ahead of worm harness rigs, on both bottombouncers and inline weights.
Personally I have never tried them in front of a crankbait. I sort think a properly tuned crank would lose some action by this addition. Somebody tell me it they have tried this.
Greg Horoky

Greg,

Same as you I find spoons work great ahead of a spinner rig with snap-weights or when trolling lead core. Never had any success or pattern with cranks and a spoon attractor, but a 3 way crankbait rig is another story. :wink:

Cheers'

-Sheldon Hatch

aka

banner ad
banner ad