Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: wagers farm
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:27 am 
Perch

Can anyone report on how much ice there is at wagers farm off big island. Thanks

Post subject: Re: wagers farm
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:39 pm 
Walleye Angler

Private message me, I just got back from there.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:55 pm 
Walleye

would like to know as well

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:06 pm 
Walleye Angler

Is this info need to know only ???? Isn't this board about sharing info, or did I get it wrong

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:38 am 
Walleye Catcher

Doesn't make any sense i know, But i would personally wait. See my post in "Ice reports". Massassauga point where i took my reading this AM is across the big bay from Wagers and there was 3-4" depending on where i checked. If i had to wager, i would say wager's is about the same.

I know it sucks, but i would wait until the thaw tomorrow is over and we get a few nights of that cold weather next week.

B

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:09 am 
Walleye Angler

Pm me I just got back from there too ;) it's s secret spot that not many know about!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:45 pm 
Walleye Angler

FishinMagician wrote:
Pm me I just got back from there too ;) it's s secret spot that not many know about!

You a funny guy. Lol

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:02 pm 
Walleye Master

to compare mass to big bay is a lot like comparing apples to oranges lol ..... hum both fruits I guess bite is off next weekend is game time unless you are hardcore, and the hardcore will never make a post this time of the year! its a one or two fish bite right now,,,,,,,, ll will risk my life when its a 10 fish an hour kinda day enjoy my bay boys, just show it lots of respect!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:09 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Grizzly wrote:
to compare mass to big bay is a lot like comparing apples to oranges lol ..... hum both fruits I guess bite is off next weekend is game time unless you are hardcore, and the hardcore will never make a post this time of the year! its a one or two fish bite right now,,,,,,,, ll will risk my life when its a 10 fish an hour kinda day enjoy my bay boys, just show it lots of respect!

15' off Mass point is sufficient to check ice where I know the bay well.

B

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:43 pm 
Walleye Master

I know the bay well enough to say you can have 4 inches off mass and have 18 off wagers on the same day so to compare the two is hard to do............... if you find 3 inches off the point I doubt there is one inch 15 feet from mass point parking area leading into the narrows .......... many readers don't know the difference

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:26 pm 
Walleye Catcher

have a look at google maps and familiarize yourself with the area. The point does not necessarily assume the distance between the 2 narrowest points in the bay. So you can't generalize when you say the ice there is only 4" and 18" some where else, Its just not true. With Mass point being in my back yard, i can tell you with the exception of 1 area where i would never walk even in the coldest winter (between the 2 points), the water is not moving and can accurately be gauged.

Go out to the old boat dock at the point and drill a hole, drill another off wagers. Then you will know.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:07 pm 
Walleye

Eh guys. Agree with you both. But more importantly in both your messages is the statement that the ice is by no means consistent or the same in any area. Specially first ice. Be safe and cheers to a great season. Might see you guys out there this season.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:52 am 
Walleye Master

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=44.134 ... orm=LMLTCC
Really not trying to pee in your cornflakes Biff just trying to keep people safe here.
I have not generalized an area. if you notice there is no pin marking mass conservation area on Tim,s map.........maybe its that he found it much to dangerous to tell people about that area???
I will agree with you..... people learn an area and learn its ice conditions,,,,, there is always a place to drill a hole and have a fish maybe its only 15 feet off shore behind a point, and not what you would call good fishing grounds, but you can fish if you want too.
this thread was asking about ice conditions at wagers farm....... and yes you are right there is 4 inches of ice 15 feet off wagers farm so any one interested in fishing in a weed bed in 7 feet of water off wagers come on and fill your boots how ever if you want to catch walleye you best give it another week ...... Again Biff if I ruffled your feathers it wasn't my intentions. happy fishing!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:31 am 
Walleye Catcher

no worries Grizzly, i am not ruffled.

Just to be clear, I was not making any claims about whether the ice was safe or not, only how thick it was. I am not in the business of safe ice navigation or passing judgement on others ice fishing ethics, only ice thickness. Based on the other reports, i was dead on. I put these ice thickness reports out for out of towners to make an assessment on whether to travel distances or not. I at no time said the ice was safe, to the contrary i said the opposite if you re-read.

I am not going to make any more ice reports at this point ... it just causes either an ice ethics debacle or huge exhaustive, draining discussion. I would rather save my energy for ice fishing :)

B

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:00 pm 
Walleye Catcher

And yet another prime example of how people posting ice conditions get taken in different texts.
People ........ either hire a guide ..... make a friend..... or just check the darn ice your self.
Every condition is different on every inch of Quinte and till you have any idea how to tell that then stay off.
Not trying to be a none poster or a info hawger but if anyone thinks I'd take their advice on ice conditions then they must be crazy.
Carry a spud and check the ice yourself !
Stay safe !
J.

banner ad
banner ad