Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:33 pm 
Walleye Angler

I am curious about what the mood seems to be back home and on retailers shelves about single hooks vs. trebles.

Where I reside while working in BC and throughout BC it is next to impossible to find a packaged treble mounted on a lure, with most major brands having single hooks with some having packaged a treble as an extra. The regulations seem more geared to this and after seeing it in action, I like the idea of it, mostly for catch and release. Alberta seems to be going this way too and I believe that Manitoba has it.

I am curious what folks think about this, as my bet is that it will arrive as part of the Ontario regulations, sometime within the next ten years. Thanks for taking a peek.

Regards
Don Stokes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:05 pm 
Walleye Angler

Don Stokes wrote:
I am curious about what the mood seems to be back home and on retailers shelves about single hooks vs. trebles.

Where I reside while working in BC and throughout BC it is next to impossible to find a packaged treble mounted on a lure, with most major brands having single hooks with some having packaged a treble as an extra. The regulations seem more geared to this and after seeing it in action, I like the idea of it, mostly for catch and release. Alberta seems to be going this way too and I believe that Manitoba has it.

I am curious what folks think about this, as my bet is that it will arrive as part of the Ontario regulations, sometime within the next ten years. Thanks for taking a peek.

Regards
Don Stokes

Hello Don,

This is a very interesting topic, do you have any pictures of crank baits with single hooks?

I am curious to how this would effect the action and balance of popular cranks like Rapala etc.

-et

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:57 pm 
Walleye Angler

I will see if I can take something on the digital camera and relearn how to email it to you. Tracking of certain baits would be different and in some cases not effective from what I can see unless tandem or some other balance system was put into place.

The tackle walls look very, very different here but the single hook is a great move in my opinion as one that is good for the fish and the industry. I will also see if I can find out how long this has been in effect.

Regards
Don Stokes

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:38 pm 
Walleye Angler

all my flies are single hook BARBLESS. oh does it ever make it sweet and easy to unhook a fish, I also noticed it has no effect on losing fish compared to barbed hooks either, as long as you don't make any slack between you and the fish, your fine. as far as catch and release with smallmouth bass, I bring them up to me in the water, slide my hand down the leader to the fly and unhook, without having to even remove the fish from the water (unless he's big and picture worthy)

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:40 pm 
Walleye Angler

also since my wife is a spin fisher, I've went through her tackle box and changed all the treble hooks on her rapalas, spinners, spoons, to single barbless, she love them and does just as good catching fish.

banner ad
banner ad