Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:50 am 
Minnow

Hey fisherpeople .....
just want to say been following this board for a while and finally set up a profile got a lot of good info from some of you guys on here and a big thanks for that ,,,,TYLERCURT specially for the awesome map created and sharing his knowledge. I have procrastinated going to the BOQ for a few years and now i got sick of thinking about it finally booked a room in Napanee and going to fish huff's just looking for some input on lure selection and tips don't need your honey hole i am quite capable of finding fish on my own i have a flasher so all tool needed. I would be grateful for any info i can get(being a rookie) and thanks in advance ,,,,,,you can PM me if you don't want to reply on the board. IM SO PUMPED CAN"T WAIT NOW .....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:03 am 
Guppy

Im new to the Quinte scene too so you may want to take this with a grain of salt, but everything I've read and heard tells me that a gold coloured Northland Buckshot in 3/8 oz is the way to go. They seem to be so popular that I haven't even found one yet in my local stores. I did find a perch coloured one, and there where only two of those left, so will be trying it soon.

I don't think I'm airing secrets here since so many posts sing the praises of the buckshot.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:11 am 
Minnow

MIKE the only thing i take with a grain of salt is ice thickness reports lol but i do appreciate the advice you gave me i will look for those when im at my local tackle shop tonight.Be at huffs on the 7th if your interestede in fishing with some company maybe we can teach each other something lol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:18 am 
Walleye

Hello Goldfinder...welcome to the board, lots of great info here and some good sharing of info. It is also nice to see a lot of new members joining and posting.
I grew up in Kingston and fished the Bay steady in the winters until moving to Muskoka in 1993, I faithfully dragged my hut out to Sherman's Point and was usually the last to take it off. Only make it back now for a spring and usually fall soft water go. Great memories and some pretty nice fish caught and that was without today's flasher's etc.

I am curious... I read a lot of posts using various baits but my absolute favorite was always a gold and burgundy Little Cleo tipped with a couple of small muds...I would drop down to the bottom usually in about 20-25ft of water and simply pop if off the bottom and then let it rest on bottom, the odd time I would jig it a couple of feet up but most of my fish were caught as I pulled it off bottom. All of this was of course prior to the zebra muscle thing.

The curious part is does anybody use this method and does this bait/technique still catch fish with so many other baits out there.

Everybody's got their go to bait/technique, care to share? I just shared mine albeit from 20+yrs ago.

Wish I were there!

Steve
WalleyeWon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:12 am 
Walleye

this video will answer all your questions..

http://youtu.be/8zD8Ct-oHHg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:26 am 
Walleye Angler

As far as lure selection,there was a survey-post called Favorite Five(by Captinminnow) which if you search(using the Search button at the top right) ,it should come up. Shows the diversity of lures used on the Bay. Some are common,Buckshot,Mr Champs ect. Some may be not as familiar.Well worth a look.