Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:04 pm 
Walleye Master

Mid last week Dad asked if there would be any fishing this weekend? Saturday morning was the time he had available. Launched and found water temps between 42-43 degrees, less than 6 degrees colder than last weekend...but the conditions were what we had...so we went at it! Setup a four rod spread...typical spread for me in the shallows. 2 long lines out the back and 2 lines off the inlines. This time we kept the leads even shorter, only 65' behind the boat and 55' behind the boards....this allowed us to come in even tighter and focus on the shallow shorelines where I knew the fish would be.

Many boats were working 15' to 20' of water....but we kept to a spread that would allow us to work water as shallow as 5'. Like last week, we found many trout, both browns, and lakers, in tight. I kept dad very busy, taking approx 12 or 13 trout on our stick baits.....found a couple of screaming silver trouts as well. bonus! We didn't get on the water for sunrise....but we were fishing by 6:30am. The first fish took all of two minutes and a long line with a spinning rod bent over.

the next one came right after the first.

Lakers were next up in the schedule....a number were caught while looking for some more browns. They were hitting all the lines. Dad was patient, just relaxing while reeling them in. He just seemed happy to be on the water.

We were sorting through some trout while the inline rod was smashed. Either this was a brown on speed, or ..... well ..... a silver shark joined our shark mission.

The morning was quickly ending, 11am was fast approaching. We did a final turn and an inside long line was smashed on the turn. Fat Brown!!

The morning was ending on a perfect note. I couldn't be happier with the results, and the time on the water spent with dad.

I had sped up to make our way to port a little quicker while we were cleaning up the boat...you know, doing everything possible without actually taking the rods out of the water...

And you know the drill.....

An inline rod just started screaming....at 11am? A lost and confused King clearly.

She started jumping way off the back corner of the boat and looked like a silver marlin! Tons of length on this girl. She was a bullet out there....thankfully this gave us an excuse to clear the rest of the spread and I just enjoyed my best fight of the year.

A great spring King!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:24 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Jealous! Nice job!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:44 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Steve

YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David aka Superdad

PS Gonna Miss my Father this opener

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:33 am 
Walleye Fry

Good job Steve. Which port were you launching at?

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:27 am 
Walleye

Great job dudes. That last king is sure a long one.......skinny too. Just wondering what the average weight on mature kings have been this spring. most of the pics I have seen on the net are fairly small. Are we in for another "off" year? I sure hope not......I may have some king gear to sell if it is a repeat of last year in the West end.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:14 am 
Walleye Master

Very nice Steve,

Thanks for the report.
Al

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:02 pm 
Walleye Master

Thanks for the kind words.....

I've said it before, next to large mouth bass flippin, shoreline troutin' is my favourite fishing in the world :) :)

And yes, another year of smaller than average Kings.

I made the post on SP about it a few weeks ago...most disregarded me (not surprising).

I have my pulse close to the fishery.....there isn't any bait in the water for the kings to eat.....

That last fish of mine should have been mid 20's fish (weight wise)...instead it was a likely shy of 20lbs.

Oh well....glad the brownies are opportunistic feeders!!! I'm having more fun fishing them than Kings either way.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:35 am 
Walleye Angler

Atta boy Steve !!!

Great day of fishing with your dad. Can't get much better can it. I can see big smiles all over yuz. Fantastic!!!

Dandy fish all of em. Good work buddy.

Maple

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:45 pm 
Perch

Steve, what type of boat speed are you trolling at? my boat cant get below 2.2mph even with bags on both sides. not having much luck.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:32 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Beautiful fish, congratulations. BATMAN

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:04 pm 
Walleye Master

now that the water temps are over 40 degree's, i'm ok with going 2.0mph to 2.5mph.

but when the water temps are still in the 30's, I'll troll down to 1.25mph - 1.5mph.

thanks for the kind words...hopefully this weekend will allow for another outing.

banner ad
banner ad