Post subject: Cormorant News - AGAIN
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:17 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Here's a news flash from the Fishing Network:

NEW: Toronto group vows to block cormorant cull in this region
Mark Lamb -- Mon, Nov/21/05

By NICK GARDINER

Staff Writer Brockvill Recorder & Times

A Toronto-based organization that fought a cormorant cull at Presqu'ile Park will battle any proposal to control the population of the fish-eating bird in the Thousand Islands.

Anna Marie Valastro, co-director of the Peaceful Parks Coalition, said efforts by New York State politicians and Leeds-Grenville MPP Bob Runciman to implement a local cull are nothing more than "political opportunism" that ignores the real cause of the declining fishery - human overfishing.

"We feel the double-crested cormorants are just being scapegoated. You see it all the time," said Valastro, who compared it to the east coast cull of seals which are blamed for the decline of the cod fishery that was overfished by humans for years.

"It's the same old debate," said Valastro.

"They don't want to explore the effects of human activity (but) it's more likely than not it's human activity that's causing the decline of fisheries in the Great Lakes."

After years of declining cormorant numbers caused by the widespread use of DDT during the 1950s, the bird population has been on the upswing since the mid-1990s.

Valastro said she is aware of the breed's habit of stripping trees of vegetation around their nesting grounds, eventually killing many, and eating large quantities of panfish.

She said dead trees play an important role for other species such as woodpeckers to thrive and the cormorant patterns were an established part of the ecology long ago.

Moreover, she dismisses the claims of sportsmen that they want to reduce the number of birds because of their concern for the environment.

"It's just anglers and hunters trying to paint themselves as tree-huggers," said Valastro.

Runciman, who has urged anglers and recreational users of the river to voice their concerns, said he will be meeting informally early next year with New York State Senator Jim Wright about many common concerns including damage wrought to the fishery by cormorants.

Wright has called for a cull of the birds by the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) because most of the cormorants nest on the Canadian side of the river, but the damage to the fishery is apparent on both sides.

Runciman dismissed allegations that he is being opportunistic.

Instead, he said he is responding to the interests of his constituents and his own observations as a lifelong resident on the St. Lawrence River shoreline about damage caused by the cormorants.

"Anybody who lives in Brockville just has to look at the Three Sisters Islands," he said, referring to extensive damage caused by the cormorants on the small St. Lawrence islands near Brockville's eastern boundary.

"These are serious, legitimate concerns and as the representative of the local riding it's my responsibility to raise these issues. I'm doing my job."

Runciman also fired back with his own contention that the Peaceful Parks Coalition "is a very radical organization" that interfered with a scheduled cull of cormorants last spring at Presqu'ile Park near Brighton.

He noted the cormorant problem has been exacerbated by the invasion of zebra mussels which have stripped the river and Lake Ontario of many weedbeds where fish could hide from the birds.

Moreover, there are controls on human fishing activity in terms of season and catch limits to prevent overfishing, he said.

In the last couple of years, for instance, the MNR imposed local limits on perch because of the declining numbers of that species, said Runciman.

"What's happening (in the case of cormorants) is there's no control over this at all."

James Dexter, owner of Chasen Fish Charters, said there's no doubt cormorants are playing havoc with the fishery.

"They should have had a cull three or four years ago," said Dexter.

"It's not too late (yet) but if it keeps going the way it is, they won't have to do anything because there won't be any fish left anymore."

He said he can't understand why the MNR hasn't instituted a cull in this area following studies in both countries that identify the bird as a threat to the fishery.

"They eat a pile of fish (and) they take the best ones. They are doing an awful lot of damage."

Dexter said most of his charters are on Lake Ontario and he's encountered fish there that show signs of a narrow escape from the cormorants.

"We see fish out there that have cormorant marks down the side of them. You see lots of fish like that."

Meanwhile, a regional environmental group based out of Clayton, N.Y. stands behind a cull of cormorants instituted at the east end of Lake Ontario by the state Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC).

The DEC is also urging Ontario's MNR to cull cormorant populations on the Canadian side of the river and that, too, is supported by Save The River, said assistant director Karen Lago.

Lago said the question is a difficult one for members who don't want to see the birds killed if it can be prevented.

However, members are also aware of the threat to the fishery caused by cormorants as well as invasive species such as the zebra mussel brought into the Great Lakes in the ballast of commercial freighters.

"It has been the Save The River position in the past that we will support the DEC actions," said Lago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:11 pm 
Walleye Angler

Thanks Superdad.

The best this protester could come up with is that the dead trees stripped of bark from the cormorants are good for the woodpeckers! Yep, lot's of woodpeckers around the islands in Presquile.
I've already sent many a letter to David Ramsay Minister Of Natural Resources asking him to continue the cull in Presquile, this is where I do all of my walleye/pike fishing and go out for salmon in the summers.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:18 pm 
Walleye Angler

Good post superdad.

It seems hopeless. "Woodpeckers" well, that's close.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:58 pm 
Walleye

They should park her rear end on Brothers Island for about two days see if she still think Comorants don't affect the enviroment. I would offer my services to drive her out, but then I have a short memory somebody else better I might forget to go back and get her.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:13 pm 
Walleye

Thanks David

Just goes to show you what can happen when a group ..such as Peaceful Parks Coalition start to voice facts...that they made up, the double Crested Cormorants are a invasive spiecies..Not native to area, with no known predators, so they have a free rain in the area, killing ten of thousands of game fish, strip and kill whole Islands.... but the Anglers are at fault :evil: :evil: I would love to see how much money this organization (Peaceful parks Coalition) puts into conservation, What do you think would happen to our fisheries, if Angling was abolished.... where would the money come for research, stocking programs and the list goes on.... these fly by night Groups, that rime off facts that they know nothing about really peeve me off :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: I think maybe before Anne Marie Valastro starts to put the blame on anglers....she should see the real authorities, such as biologists , and fishery Management officers or even go out and see the damage for her self until then I really think she should keep her so called facts to her self

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:47 pm 
Minnow

For some even more mind bending philosphies, take a look at the web site for the peaceful parks coalition - http://www.peacefulparks.org/index.htm

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:31 pm 
Walleye Angler

Why would you post their link in here? We all know how to use search engines. You'd never see a pro-fishing or pro-hunting link in their website.
I refer to them as the Peaceful Pukes.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:28 pm 
Walleye Angler

You would think a few well placed skunks and racoons might slow down the cormorants.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:22 am 
Walleye

I think it's time we culled a few of the peaceful parks members, bunch of freakin' yahoos.

Sinker

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:52 am 
Baitfish

It makes good sense to understand what you're up against when you oppose these lobbyists.
You have to fight them with facts because that is where they are weak. They come at many issues with emotion and by understanding their position you can use the facts to expose their ignorance.
I personally think posting their website or any attempt to understand their position is a good idea and I think it would be naive to think that they don't regularly view the OFAH website to understand ours.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:38 am 
Walleye Angler

I know why one would post their link. I guess it's just me, I know everyone in here is on the same team when it comes to cormorants and battling "antis" who want us to stop what we love doing. When it comes to voting this coming election, know too that the Green Party supports and gives money to the "Peaceful Pukes".

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:42 pm 
Walleye Angler

Hey palliwogg
Quote:
You would think a few well placed skunks and racoons might slow down the cormorants.

That skunk idea, hummm. Not like it would change the smell much out there, but that's interesting. They did try a very hot chilli pepper residue to combat zebras at water intakes.... Very interesting, can't shoot them but.....determine and clever, as is Canada/Canadians.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:44 am 
Walleye Angler

I've been tempted to drop a coon of at the Nicholson lighthouse but I wonder if the birds would kill it and again with the smell out there it might be more humane to shoot it.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:25 pm 
Baitfish

I was fishing smallies out of Pelee Island a couple of years ago and one of the charter captains told me that they had placed 2 racoons on one of the small islands that surround Pelee that was full of commorants. They checked back a couple of weeks later and they found them considerably fatter and dead. They figured they just gorged themselves to death on eggs and young. He said they really couldn't make a dent in the population.

banner ad
banner ad