banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:12 am 
Site Admin

Is anyone going ?? I will be there and hope others join in.
BQFMP Open House
Wednesday, December 7, 2005
7 - 9 pm

Fairfield Inn & Suites (Churchill Room)
Belleville, ON
light refreshments provided -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:38 pm 
Walleye Angler

Meetings about the resource are extremely important, in particular to have representation of the various stakeholder groups. If one ignores them, do not be surprised at what comes your way. Things might look good at the present time, in particular for the avid angler, but the changes brought forth be it by nature a changing ecosystem or something imposed, all have a bearing that individuals and groups can have some bearing on as to direction.

It took me till I was about 34 yrs. of age to appreciate this simple truth. I wish I was able to be there myself.

My hat is off to MNR and the Bay of Quinte Advisory Board for giving some reasonable advance notice.

Regards
Don Stokes

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:16 pm 
Walleye

Dan,

I am going along with Art MacConnell It sound like an interesting night and I have never been to one.

Bryan Quincey

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:29 pm 
Minnow

Hey Dan - I'm not able to go as I have another commitment that night but two members of our Quinte Fishing Series committee, Rick Somerville and Art MacConnell will be attending. Hope that others will make the effort as they did not have a good turnout at the last meeting we attended in October and local anglers, fishing enthusiasts should, need to voice their opinions/concerns at this time!!
Glad the tournament went off okay last weekend. Great to see a young enthusiastic angler take home the CASH!!! Congrats to all that braved the weather - great job by the organizers. Pete

banner ad
 Post subject: Try and make it
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:47 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Laker John and I are going to try our very best to make to Belleville for the meeting

Hay Bay / Kingston

Manufacturing UZICK Spinners for over 25 Years

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:00 am 
Walleye Angler

Message to pass on at the meeting

" Please pass on at the meeting the concern that many members of the public had, over how the slot removal, was handled and introduced. The timing and presentation of this stunk. This affected many thousands and thousands of people visiting and cost the region a substantial amount of money. (Note- I do not agree with removing the slot)

Resource protection accompanied by community stewardship must come first and foremost with innovative management and associated members from the community (eg. Bay of Quinte volunteer group) ensuring that it retains a top spot instead of being relegated to being allowed to be some fabled memory. As it stands active resource management is given the backseat, to research that has yet to bring any viable tools that produce more than journal accolades". Paying the bills means producing results to most tax payers.

I do work far away at the present time but I still pay taxes on my modest holdings, etc. in the area. It is my home.

Regards
Don Stokes

Last edited by Don Stokes on Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:22 am 
Site Admin

thanks for responding. You know its funny how so many scream when the MNR changes something yet here the MNR is asking for our input and only a few show up. Just so folks understand. A 'Fisheries Management Plan' guides decison makers when tough decisions have to be made. Have your say now when it counts.

banner ad
 Post subject: Poll
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:09 pm 
Walleye

Alot of people live too far away Dan,how about an online poll of critical questions, the members can vote here and you can present results at the meeting. Last years discussion and reply for slot removal would be a good start.

Good luck,roughrider

banner ad
 Post subject: Was talked about
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:03 pm 
Site Admin

Roughrider,
I will suggest it at the meeting. Your point about out of town folks is well taken.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:03 pm 
Walleye Angler

roughrider
Your point is a timely one. Use of the internet is far underutilized by MNR be it for something like this community management meeting or for it being a simple tool to provide the public with more information, education.

I had just gotten through speaking to as associate of mine regarding your particular concern and am very happy that this was brought up. Like yourself, I am far away working but remain very interested and concerned with the region.

PS Seasons greetings!

Regards
Don Stokes

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:00 pm 
Walleye Angler

If you folks can go, you should. Last time, the board out numbered the rest of us. If we don't show our interest, they figure we don't really care. Your opinion does matter. We here are lucky we have a place to voice our concerns. On this site, we have the tools to organize. We have links to fallow and friends to learn from. This is a great forum, with great people. Use this avenue to benefit us all. Talk about the importance of preserving it for our kids. Talk a lot about that!!

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:50 am 
Walleye Fry

Roughrider has a very good point. I live in Kitchener and can't attend, but I would be more than happy to give my thoughts online - if that option was made available. I think there are many 'out of towners' who truly care about the unique fishery at BOQ.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:07 pm 
Walleye Master

belleville?

little too far for one nights meeting.

:(

just have it known that myself, and most of my partners on the bay were/are dreadfully against the lifting of the slot....

but i'm sure Kevin will be there to say otherwise.

:?

banner ad
 Post subject: meeting here tonight
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:48 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

We'll be there tonight

Hay Bay / Kingston

Manufacturing UZICK Spinners for over 25 Years

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:47 pm 
Walleye Angler

It sounds like this should in theory be a much better showing. For those that have never been to such gatherings, take some time to read the literature that is often provided and ask a few questions. They can seem like very dry affairs, but are needed and most welcome.

There is an old saying that says something to the effect that, "those that rule simply have to show up, and that those that do not show up will never have the opportunity to rule, let alone prosper from what is accomplished by simply....showing up".

Regards
Donald Stokes

banner ad
banner ad