Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Nov. 28 - Dec. 1
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:03 pm 
Walleye Fry

My dad and I came up for our annual late season trek and did not fare well. We arrived on Monday with a warm front that may have been at least part of the cause of very few 'takers'. We fished late Monday afternoon with only one taker at about 6pm in Picton Bay - on a wallydiver. Tuesday, a hard day of fishing with hard rain all day - damn!! -and only one taker, midday on a Power Minnow - a mile or so east of the fairy. Threw everything in the box at them, varied depths, location, etc., but the bite just wasn't on. Saw a few fish caught but very few. Boats were on the move, trying to find a hot spot. I saw a number of boats heading well down past the lighthouse and maybe they had some luck there. The surface water temp. ranged from 39 degrees this am to 42 degrees over the past couple of days. There was a bit of ice around Thompson's Point this am - but very thin - barely visible. Will be back next year - and maybe even again this year if the ice holds off!! Take care gents and have a great holiday season!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:20 pm 
Walleye Angler

Well, that answers that....

I saw the nice weather and thought, "hmmmmm....." Glad we didn't bother. Thanks for the report, eh?

Cheers,

Pete

Post subject: FISH
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:45 pm 
Walleye

Hello Pete,we went 7 for 11 last weekend 8) .Check your mail :lol: :lol:

roughrider out :wink:

Post subject: Glad to Hear
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:46 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Glad to hear what happened on the days after we left.

As we sat here on Monday in the 'Heat' and then Tues in the falling moisture.

It's always a learning experience.

Tight Lines

David aka Superdad

Post subject: Last Weekend
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:16 pm 
Guppy

I did speak with some guys from the US staying at the Tip of the Bay and they also did reasonably well on the weekend - nothing for them the past 2 days though - they did pick up 3 on Monday night. I forgot to mention in my first post, that I have never marked so many fish as this trip. Not sure if they were all walleye - I'm sure they weren't - but regardless, marked a ton of fish everywhere that I fished! But as I said, couldn't tempt them often!! Oh well, still had a great time, even in the pouring rain!!

Post subject: Nice day monday
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:24 am 
Site Admin

Man I was itchin to be out there on Monday with the nice weather. A day like that at the end of Nov is rare. Thanks for the report

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:08 pm 
Walleye Fry

Please do not take this the wrong way but I still do not see what the draw is to, if lucky, catch 2 pickerel on a weekend. Spending money on gas, accommodations, etc. to catch 1 or 2 fish doesn't appeal to me much.

BOQ is a far cry from what it used to be and hopefully something happens soon to replenish what was once a great fishery. I'm talking back 20+ years when I used to go out there and actually catch fish, unlike last year spending 12+ hours and not a hit to be had. Actually, that day we only heard of 3 fish being caught.

I'd rather spend my time on a lake that is within 1.5hrs of my house where I average 20 - 30 fish. The last trip this year resulted in over 30 fish (ave size of fish was 1 - 1.5lbs including a 28" 6lb'er). I know, fishing doesn't mean catching....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:55 pm 
Walleye Master

its all about the the chance of a trophy my friend.

is your local lake gonna produce a 16+ pound fish....we're talking 16 pounds, not 6....

anyways, i'm sorry you didnt have more luck....

for us, last weekend produced 10 fish in two days...

A friend of mine, Aaron Shirley and his partner did much better than we did...

The solution sounds simple. If you want a chance of a 'true' fish of a lifetime, go to Quinte. If you just want a bunch of fish, with the biggest being 6 pounds, then stay close to home....

Yep, this fall has been tough....but many feel the best fishing is yet to come...myself included.

ps, for those who know me, know we dont get up at 7am either. :lol: We are lucky to get on the water in the AM....no more than five hours each day on the water...

For the time put on the water, i'd say we did just fine. Had we put 12 hour days, as you mentioned above, i'm quite certain we'd have put over 15 fish in the boat in those two days....but five hours a day is good for us....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:10 pm 
Walleye Fry

I agree with Steve. For me, it's all about the chance to catch one of the largest walleye every caught. I never keep any fish at Quinte - even smaller ones, because that's not what I am there for. I am hopeful that someday I will catch a 15 pounder. If I do, I will have a replica mount made and it will hang in my house with great pride. Like a previous poster, I also enjoy catching and eating smaller walleye, but for me, Quinte is about that very unique opportunity to catch a huge fish. Also, I love fishing the Picton Bay area. I enjoy watching the ferry, the cement plant at night, etc. But....... I know that there are guys out there who have to catch large numbers to be happy. I also know that there are some guys who feel the need to keep these beautiful large fish - don't get me going on that!!! Take care guy.

Post subject: Couldnt agree more
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:44 am 
Site Admin

I couldnt agree more with the chance of a lifetime at a true trophy. I believe the spirit of the one over 25" regulation was to recognize the trophy fishery. There are lots of smaller lakes with good numbers of eaters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:33 pm 
Jumbo Perch

I ALSO AGREE WITH STEVE AND DAN I FISH WESTERN BASIN IN ERIE ON AN AVERAGE DAY YOU CAN GET A FEW LIMITS OF WALEYE ANY WHERE FROM 2TO 7LBS AND MANY DAYS FISH FROM 4 TO 7LBS IN AMATTER OF 2 TO 3 HOURS I HAD ACHANCE TO GO UP TO PICTON LAST WEEKEND AND FISH WE CAUGHT 12 FISH AND THE AVERAGE FISH WAS 8 LBS AND THE LARGEST 12LBS JUST KNOWING THAT YOU HAVE A CHANCE TO CATCH A FISH OF A LIFE TIME AT ANY TIME IS VERY EXCITING AND MAKES YOU GO BACK TIME AND TIME AGAIN BECAUSE IF YOU PUT ENOUGH TIME IN YOU WILL GET THAT FISH AND THEN GO BACK FOR ONE BIGGER THE NEXT TIME

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:24 pm 
Walleye Fry

I hear what you guys are saying, but the Moon River is also supposed to be a location for a chance of a one in a lifetime catch. Moon River is pretty well dead for lunker walleye or musky.

I guess you all have more money and patience than I do. I enjoy going out fishing to catch fish, not sitting in a boat waiting for that "chance in a lifetime". I may have better luck sitting in a bar waiting for another "chance in a lifetime" with a hottie than actually catching a 15lb walleye....to each his own.

Good luck on the remainder of open water and hopefully it'll ice up soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:46 pm 
Walleye Fry

I'm guessing you'll get the large walleye before the Hottie :)
Now........ we may have to define what a 'hottie' is! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:31 pm 
Walleye Fry

A hottie is a 250lb woman wearing black spandex panties, tassels, and a hot pink bow in her hair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:09 pm 
Guppy

sweet..................................

banner ad