Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 12:44 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:37 pm 
Guppy

Well the bald birthday boy and myself made it back alive. We left town early Friday and arrived at the Tip of the Bay just before 8am. We stowed our gear and decided to hit the water quick as the winds were still fairly light. Headed out to the ferry and started our troll east. We had the nice spread going but not a lot of fish marking and no takers. Made it down to the lighthouse just as the winds blew up. :o What a pounding we took getting back to Picton >:( We dried out our gear and took a bit of a break until around 3:30, then decided we would try out by the cement plant. Winds were still howling but we tucked in close to shore and were able to tough it out for a while. Our first fish of the weekend came about 5pm, just after dark. I had crawled up to the front of the boat to get the nav light working when I heard the line stripping off the reel. By the time I got out of the front Bob had the beast under control and we landed a nice chunky 9.8 walleye. By this time the boat had drifted out of control and the spray from the waves was freezing on everything it touched. We learned a valuable lesson about being more prepared.

Saturday we were out on the water at first light and after a bit we had out first fish of the day on, a 7.3 walleye. We trolled for a while and after no bites we went in for breakfast. Resumed our search in the afternoon and right off the hop we had another 9lber in the boat and then released. We ended up with three more fish that afternoon and although we were prepared this time for the evening we didn't even get a sniff and we stayed out until after 8pm.

We awoke Sunday to everything covered in snow and although we got a late start we still decided to giver one more shot before we left. We started our troll around 8:30 and fished until 11:00 at which time we had too go and pack our stuff and get on the road. Our effort in the morning paid off with three more fish, with one finally breaking the 10 lb mark even if only by a little bit. All in all we caught and released 9 and I'm sure if we could have stayed a little longer on Sunday we would have added to that. We had a great time, lots of laughs and we will make this a yearly event to celebrate the baldfishers BD.

I just wanted to thank Greg at Covers Unlimited for the awesome job he did last spring on the covers for my boat. The drop curtain in the back is the best idea I've ever seen. I have never been more comfortable fishing in the fall. Can't forget about my instructor for the fall walleye bite, Mr. Twister you taught me well!!! ;) ;D Now it's time for ice!! GO WINTER!!!!!

Cheers
I.G.D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:25 pm 
Walleye Fry

Were you guys getting your fish at one particular depth?? When I was up last week, we marked fish from 10 - 60 feet, but only a couple of takers - closer to 10-15 ft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:20 pm 
Guppy

All of them came at 15 to 25 ft over 30 to 38. Manns accounted for just a couple more than the clown and all were set up on planers.
HIH
I.G.D.

Post subject: Walleye
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:34 am 
Walleye Angler

Man!! You guys are toough!!! hence the name.
Looks like you had a goood time!!! :lol: It helps too have the right boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:40 pm 
Walleye Angler

Brrr.........

Thanks for a great and comprehensive report. Hope to get down later this week with my dad, so we shall see.....

banner ad