Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Oct 04, 2024 6:36 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: MNR meeting last night
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:48 am 
Site Admin

The meeting was well attended with approximately 40-50 people there. A fairly broad range of backgrounds in the audience. Anglers, resort operators, ice hut operators, bait & tackle, commercial fisherman, First Nations, baitfish association, tournament organizations and reps from the remedial action plan. The process of creating a fish management plan was outlined along with how his plan fits into the bigger picture of other working groups which are addressing habitat restoration, water quality and general restoration of the great lakes system.

Following this was a presentation from a biologist from the Glenora Fisheries Station which gave a 'state of the fisheries' presentation both historical and present. This included explanations on the different ways data is collected from the bay and eastern lake ont. Information about populations of various fish species both historical and present and also trends or predictions of the various fish populations for the future. This is a real brief explanation of what was presented however the MNR will send me the presentation material and I will post it.

Following this the floor was opened up for questions. Most of the questions were focused of a few primary issues; cormorants, cormorants and cormorants. Kidding aside there was alot of discussion focused on this bird but also questions about the various First Nations fisheries, pollution hotspots in the bay, zebra mussels and gobies.

They distributed a survey which will be available on-line at their website (the website is not up yet) which is www.bqfac.org Results from this survey will help guide the creation of various options for a fisheries management plan. Then, sometime in May 2006 these options will be presented to the public for their input through various open house meetings. Once the final plan is done it will be posted on the EBR website.

Clearly the message in all of the information presented was they want our input. It was stressed several times that our input will guide this plan.
Stay tuned more to come.

Last edited by DanElliot on Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:03 pm 
Baitfish

Good update Dan.

Thanks

Anything conclusive on commorants or just more studies ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:07 pm 
Walleye Angler

Nice summary Dan. I hope that they begin to entertain the notion of introducing natural predators to areas that have cormorrant concerns.

Bringing up pollution or water quality should be a regular part of study by Glenora in every major river or stream that enters the Bay of Quinte. This could be packaged, in such a way that business groups would not feel threatened. Simply reporting the facts when asked, which have not been studied, to the best of my knowledge about factors that affect various species be it the affect of various inflows and fish spawning, or native aquatic plants etc.. Strapping on the waders, helping to assist in actively educating the public and stakeholder groups.....it would all be nice to see in my opinion.

Regards
Donald Stokes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:06 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Good report Dan,

It was a lively meeting but not a rowdy meetinsg. Everyone was polite to everyone else.

It was most informative. The Biologist explained that they had found the virus that killed all the sheepsheads in May.

FIRST TIME IN NORTH AMERICA FOR THIS VIRUS!!!!!!!!!!!

Lots of work for the MNR to follow up on.

Glad to see familiar faces.

Superdad & Laker John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:49 pm 
Walleye Angler

Right on guys!!! Awesome report Dan. It sounds like you folks had a great turnout, and you raised all those conserns. Right on!!!

Superdad
Quote:
The Biologist explained that they had found the virus that killed all the sheepsheads in May.

Don Stokes
Quote:
Bringing up pollution or water quality should be a regular part of study by Glenora in every major river or stream that enters the Bay of Quinte.

Dan Elliot
Quote:
The meeting was well attended with approximately 40-50 people there. A fairly broad range of backgrounds in the audience. Anglers, resort operators, ice hut operators, bait & tackle, commercial fisherman, First Nations, baitfish association, tournament organizations and reps from the remedial action plan.

I wish I could have attended that meeting. I had an appointment with the butt Dr. and anyone who has, knows the option of that 2 hr drive isn't gonna happen. One fart, and it time to go home :oops: Not quite as entertaining as "the butt rocket"..... but a very close 2nd......

You guys rock, well done :!: :!: :!: