PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:45 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Is it here yet???

www.limestonecityfishingcharters.com
YouTube Jim Lyon Fishing

Post subject: Re: Bass Pro to Kingston
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:15 pm 
Walleye

It would be good to have choices CT doesn't have but yay - a new candy store coming to town!

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:00 pm 
Walleye Angler

Rumor has it that Cabellas was bought out by BPS effective Jan.1 2016

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:35 am 
Walleye Angler

http://www.cabelas.ca/news/51/cabelas-a ... nada-store
Not sure how much of a small pie can be cut and still have a profitable business

banner ad
 Post subject: Bass Pro to Kingston
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:56 am 
Walleye Master

Article in local paper today stating cabelas opens this fall. 175 workers being hired and will anchor the new mall in Kanata west. I can't see Kingston ever getting a big box outdoor store. Unless they adapt their store size to having smaller market satellite stores.

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:44 am 
Walleye Angler

http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2015/11/ ... e-cabelas/

Speculation is the purchace is the reason the BPS in Ottawa was cancelled is that the construction of the Cabellas was more advanced

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:20 am 
Walleye

Wish they would come to Kingston. I'm about to retire and working there would be a fun part time job. I'd be like a kind in a candy store. Probably spend more than I'd make.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:34 pm 
Walleye Angler

If you want to cater to every fishermans desires then you need volume and variety. You also need to change with the seasonal transitions to stay on top. Add to this the fact that you have very little buying power as the large chain stores get the best deals and first crack at new products since they have multiple venues ( stores) which is what vendors want. Top this off with poor margins on guns, rods and reals ( big ticket items)and an independent has to make it up on all the accessories and must attempt this in most cases by charging more then the big chains. Then we wine and shop elsewhere and eventually they go out of business. Sad but this is the truth of the matter. I have witnessed this with Mike Howes store as well as Quinte Outdoor store. We are all guilty of trying to get a deal not realizing what impact and disservice we are doing to our local stores when we do this. As a business you do what you can to keep a customer happy and yes sometimes you give them a deal in hopes that they become a loyal customer. But being in retail for 40 years I can tell you first hand there is no loyalty today in mr. And Mrs. Consumer, money talks. Personally I have been a fairly loyal patron to CT Kingston and if they don't have what I need they order it in for me. Yes I pay a few bucks more but if we don't eventually Mr. Derbyshire may decide to yank it out. He is already being handcuffed by paying a franchise premium on the fishing and guns as he is a unique store trying a new concept and as such he pays an addition fee to his Franchisor so he can carry it. This is why his prices are a little more then the chain stores. Personally they have most of what I need or can get it in. If he can't get it then yes I too use Tackle Warehouse but only after I have given them the first chance to satisfy me. No chain store is going to set up shop in Kingston there just isn't the population base they require to get the green Light from corporate, so support our own they try hard. Even Brown bear is a great guy not trying to be everything to everyone but trying to carve out a living so when you buy some minnows buy a few extras and treat yourself they really appreciate it and honestly are counting on it for and chance at long term stability!!

Gord

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:03 pm 
Walleye Angler

I'm with you 100% on your post Jigginpigman. Thanks for telling it as it should be. DONN.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:21 pm 
Walleye Angler

I also agree, I went to Bass Pro for the first time years ago and was dazzled by all the glamour. I bought a pellet gun and when I got home the thing wouldn't shoot and had to drive all the way back to return it the next week, lesson learned. The second time I was more of a comparison shopper and figured out there really wasn't that much that I was interested in and the items I was interested in were really no deals so I left with nothing and shopped at home. I do all my shopping locally and by locally I mean Belleville CTC as Trenton CTC is just a hole and some of the independent shops, if you have an issue with an item returns are easier (close). The warm fuzzy feeling from the locals is better than being blinded by the lights.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:42 pm 
Walleye

Hutchy wrote:
I also agree, I went to Bass Pro for the first time years ago and was dazzled by all the glamour. I bought a pellet gun and when I got home the thing wouldn't shoot and had to drive all the way back to return it the next week, lesson learned. The second time I was more of a comparison shopper and figured out there really wasn't that much that I was interested in and the items I was interested in were really no deals so I left with nothing and shopped at home. I do all my shopping locally and by locally I mean Belleville CTC as Trenton CTC is just a hole and some of the independent shops, if you have an issue with an item returns are easier (close). The warm fuzzy feeling from the locals is better than being blinded by the lights.

What he said 100%. Trenton is as bad as it gets :!:

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:22 pm 
Walleye

Couldn't agree more with Trenton's CTC being as bad as it gets. Belleville has come a long way but was in the Kingston Canadian Tire today. I have not been in there in a long time but I am envious as hell. Wish we had a CTC half as good as that one. With that in ktown why would u want one of the big box stores? It has just about everything outdoors ya could possibly need!!

banner ad