Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:49 pm 
Perch

Our phone has been ringing steady with inquires about fishing and I hope this will give you some answers to the Big Question "Any Ice?" The Short Answer is "NOTHING SAFE TO FISH ON YET ... NOT HERE!"

We finally froze over for the first last Monday and Tuesday (Jan 4 & 5) and things were looking promising. Some brave soles were even fishing off Big Island and there were a couple huts at the east-side of the Desoronto Bridge by the 7th. Rumor had it that they were all catching fish!

Then The Weekend came and the Rain and and the Wind and by Monday Morning it was wide open again from Northport to the Desoronto Bridge and farther. Monday afternoon it started to freeze in again but this time with "Frag Ice" as the wind pushed and piled up the broken pieces. Then we got 5 inches of Snow on Tuesday and another 5 inches of snow last night making wonderful insulation but terrible ice making conditions.

I had to go to Picton Yesterday and Long Reach looked to be wide open water from The Ferry to Thompson's Point to Essroc Cement Plant from my view along Hwy 49. I received 3 hand information that there were guys that are regulars to fishing Big Island that tried to get out there in the last couple days only to report "Its Bad and not safe" People are all talking about Potter's Creek but I have No Information other than what I read in the posts on here about Potter's.

I was going to open the store for this weekend but have decided to postpone until mid-next week as they are calling for mild temps again on Friday and Saturday and more rain. I will be reporting more through our own Website and Facebook Page as the Season goes on. Be sure to check in with us there.

The Long Range is calling for Cold Temperatures next week and I hope to be reporting that the parking lot and store are open on Jan 22 BUT we will see!

Remember folks ... always check Ice conditions for yourselves wherever and whenever you go. In my years in this business, I have seen too many people that think they can "walk on water" only to get other people that follow them into trouble.

Hope this helps and we hope to see everyone on the 22nd!

Cheers

Todd Foster

2281 CR-15 (Northport Rd)
Prince Edward County
www.countyshores.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:23 am 
Walleye Angler

Thanks for posting Todd. I spudded out about 30ft just to the east of Wagers and was doing ok (must have been frag ice) and then came to clear black ice about an inch thick. One good whack with the spud and through. Hoping we get some good rain Saturday to knock the snow down and get a good freeze Sun-wed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:38 am 
Perch

Thanks Todd for the report. I'm hoping to see you sooner than later this season :)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:02 am 
Guppy

Thanks for the report. It is a long drive to come down to see how the ice is.

See you next week.

Bob & Jan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:47 am 
Walleye

thank you County Shores very helpful post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:59 am 
Walleye Angler

Great Report! Need more of these! Very specific!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:11 am 
Walleye

Good report, Next weeks temps look good from this Sunday on too bad we got this +++++ dump of snow before these cold nights coming!

banner ad