Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Is it safe to say?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:37 pm 
Walleye Angler

There is always lots of people on here asking the ice conditions and if it is safe. Lets say Joe Blow comes on here and asks about the ice conditions and I respond and say it is safe and him and his buddies go out and Joe plunges through and drowns. When the cops investigate the drowning Joe's buddies tell them that Hutchy said it was safe on this forum in black and white. Am I now liable for Joe's death? There is always a very risky time between unsafe ice and safe ice like now, some people know and others don't, is it right to put your life in someone else's hands or take responsibility for someone else's life.

Post subject: Re: Is it safe to say?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:50 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Hutchy wrote:
There is always lots of people on here asking the ice conditions and if it is safe. Lets say Joe Blow comes on here and asks about the ice conditions and I respond and say it is safe and him and his buddies go out and Joe plunges through and drowns. When the cops investigate the drowning Joe's buddies tell them that Hutchy said it was safe on this forum in black and white. Am I now liable for Joe's death? There is always a very risky time between unsafe ice and safe ice like now, some people know and others don't, is it right to put your life in someone else's hands or take responsibility for someone else's life.

Well said

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:58 pm 
Guppy

x2

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:05 pm 
Walleye Angler

Notice how the old time locals keep their mouths shut at this time of the year. Better to be safe
than sorry.
Donn

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:59 pm 
Walleye

just keep your mouth shut to the cops ( the police will beat u ) and get a good lawyer and the judge will only give u manslaughter. now if you told them where your old holes were and that they should go there you are getting 1st degree premeditated, if they are american from certain states u could end up extradited and on death row.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:41 am 
Walleye

From a criminal charge perspective that would be difficult to prove, there would have to be clear intent to cause harm.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:41 am 
Walleye

I would never report the words 'safe ice'.But if I were on the ice I will gladly report my opinion of that ice I was on.
EX. I am a lake erie boy if someone from out of town asked if I know the current lake conditions cause they were going to drive up that day.I will gladly report what I personally know.If it is 3 foot or 5 foot swells it is what it is .Personally I will fish the rough stuff in a heart beat but that doesn't mean its safe.
Hutchy I don't think you have anything to worry about reporting your opinion of the ice unless you use words like.... ice is safe ,nothing to worry about or leave your spud at home etc.Most of us are just looking for general conditions of the ice of course we will need to spud for ourselves to insure our personal walk out path is safe.
thanks
Terry

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:33 am 
Walleye

Lol

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

banner ad
 Post subject: Is it safe to say?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:36 am 
Walleye Wisdom

In the eyes of the law no ice is safe ice so I wouldn't worry too much. They tell people to stay off the ice even when it's 20 inches. I always find with the bay it changes so much that it's always nice to read reports so that I know what is fishable and what isn't. Even with the cold winter last year had a few outing where we sat on 10 inches one day and it was down to 4 the next. Told people that it was sketchy ice then the next day it was back to 8 inches and people thought I was just trying to keep them away.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:14 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Just understanding Quinte ice will help a lot of people. There is a lot of current in places and lots of rivers that flow into Quinte that have run off that can put pressure on the ice from underneath when the water flows eroding ice like mentioned above.
Personally, I agree with the statements above... "no ice is safe ice". And every individual has their own idea of what is safe for them.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:52 pm 
Perch

Thats right no ice is safe ice,like mentioned above i saw it last year..cold day -20 with a nice 8 inches of ice on the reach,next day still cold -15 and wow same spot 4-5inches..quinte is a beast!!

banner ad
banner ad