banner ad
 Post subject: Re: Huffs long reach
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:40 am 
Perch

How much snow did you guys get ?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:51 am 
Walleye Angler

Hey Grizzly cant agree more ...okay to get reports ....but always check for yourself and 5 inchs is the minimum thickness but more is better....BUT everybody should be a little nervous of the ice in the BOQ respect the ice here you never know what your going to get ....By the way Grizzly since you own the bay maybe you could have turned the thermostat down a little earlier so the ice would be a little thicker :lol:

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:46 am 
Walleye

Grizzly wrote:
bigbassin18 wrote:
The guy that fell threw on Saturday. I hate to say it but had it coming.

We got there at 3:00pm. And he probably moved around 10 times in the short period before he went through. Anyone we talked to that night even before we got there they said he was just walking around not checking ice and just bouncing around. I for one always check this ice. Always. With the snow on the bay definitely check the ice. And I can't stress that enough. And never take another persons word and that's my opinion. If you want to know thickness. Definitely check it yourself. Just because it's safe for one doesn't mean it is for the other guy or girl

I totally agree with you bud but then I wonder why you are so forward with your reports on ice and how thick it is....... even if you are 100% this is only accurate in the spots you put your spud thru it does not mean that's all over an area, yet you post huffs (An Area)... the cables (Also an area) Not trying to pee in your cornflakes but only a few guys have posted ice conditions you are one of them and now you tell people not to trust a report.......... for the record anyone who just walks around on ice that is less than 5 inches is a complete fool. any ice under 3 inches could be only one inch 3 feet away from where you are standing ......this time of the year is for the most experienced guys, and you can bet your last dollar they will never trust an ice report so when you give a report you are inviting the fools to go swimming. and the areas you are posting about are the absolute worst areas for bad inconsistent ice on the whole dam bay..

Well, I don't post here much, but I do fish the bay a fair bit, and know what the ice is like. I drive over an hour one way to get there, so I do REALLY appreciate the reports, good or bad.

That said, a report is to be taken with a grain of salt. If your on early ice and not checking every step of the way, you are an idiot. Sorry to be so crude, but that's just how it is. You have to check EVERY step of the way. Period.

Sure, there are guys who just don't know that, and guys who see people on the ice and march right out. These are the same guys who end up going for a swim (Idiots). I hope they learn from it, but a lot don't.

Anyways, just wanted to say I appreciate the ice reports from the OP.

S.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:19 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Definitely thanks for the feed backs guys. I appreciate everything I read on here and post when I do. Most f the things are great reads or great information

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:11 pm 
Walleye

More than one fell through that day, next day ice hut rental post that he has huts out? Crazy

banner ad
 Post subject: Huffs long reach
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:02 pm 
Walleye Master

I don't think the hut rental post was Huffs. If you're referring to fish finder charters, it's in the far west end and I would trust Dave more than most. He knows the bay extremely well and wouldn't put anyone in harms way.

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:31 pm 
Walleye

My post was not to question the ice hut renter my reference was intended to show how tricky bay ice is and how it can be safe in one area and just a short distance away treacherous

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:40 pm 
Walleye

Ditto Big Mac. I know Dave and he wouldn't be putting people in his huts if he didn't think it was safe.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:18 pm 
Minnow

Hope it tightens up this week with these cold temps. Hope to get out Sunday somewhere.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:45 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Had a buddy come to the house today. He tried out at the flats. And according to his measurements there's about 5" but some snow and slush. The worst part about out there is you need an avionics to find the deep holes or lived on the bay and fished the flats long enough to know where to go. Deepest water you'll get is like 12' max. I've caught fish out there in the past and 9/10 if you get a fish on out there it's a bigguns. Biggest danger areas out there is the 2 islands. That is what I was told today haven't got to check myself. So I am not taking his 100% word on that but I do know the flats freezes up real quick for the lack of current except the islands

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:11 pm 
Goby

relax guys....no one is going to go to jail for posting their experiences or what they've heard about the ice.... the 401 is safe to drive on tonight.... but be cautious of deer.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:50 am 
Guppy

oh nooo...don't drive on the 401...too many deer..you will hit one and that will be it...take hwy 2...as I sit on my couch and never drive :twisted:

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:46 am 
Walleye

What area do you call the flats?

Sorry, never heard that before.

S.
bigbassin18 wrote:
Had a buddy come to the house today. He tried out at the flats. And according to his measurements there's about 5" but some snow and slush. The worst part about out there is you need an avionics to find the deep holes or lived on the bay and fished the flats long enough to know where to go. Deepest water you'll get is like 12' max. I've caught fish out there in the past and 9/10 if you get a fish on out there it's a bigguns. Biggest danger areas out there is the 2 islands. That is what I was told today haven't got to check myself. So I am not taking his 100% word on that but I do know the flats freezes up real quick for the lack of current except the islands

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:52 am 
Walleye Catcher

sinker wrote:
What area do you call the flats?

Sorry, never heard that before.

S.
bigbassin18 wrote:

I believe he is referring to the east end of hay bay. I have fished it as well with some success. Work a rattle bait there to draw them in as it is a huge area with no structure

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:02 am 
Walleye Catcher

Yes. It's actually hay bay. Local guys know of it as the flats sorry

banner ad
banner ad