Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2024 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:35 pm 
Walleye Angler

http://www.northumberlandnews.com/news- ... opulation/

Regardless of the varying views on this program in general, at least Corbetts Dam will get a new fish counter! Don't personally know if ones needed or not, although online viewing sounds ,....interesting!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:02 pm 
Walleye

I think the problem with this program is that they keep stocking fry which basically become forage for faster growing, juvenile steelhead, chinook and coho that are also in the river. I guess there's some good scientific reason for this. Atlantic salmon thrived in LO over a hundred years ago until steelhead, chinook and coho were introduced. I've fished the Ganny for over thirty-five years and watched the steelhead numbers go up and down, but mostly down in the past ten years, but one things for sure they always come back. Don't know if they'll be able to say same for the Atlantics.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:45 am 
Walleye Wisdom

You never know, they are doing ok in cobourg creek and lots are caught now on shelter valley

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:44 am 
Walleye Master

First of all I am not pro or con atlantic salmon. My views are very neutral on the subject of the Atlantic Salmon Restoration Program. As far as I am concern more fish in the water, the more angling opportunities for the angler.

Setting a few facts straight.
1) They will be stocking large yearlings in the Ganny at 50 grams. They will be stocked high up in the water shed and being smolted they will go to the lake immediately.
2) Chinook are the only salmonid that goes to the lake at 5 to 6 months and at about 5 or 6 grams and 3 to 31/2 inches in length. Coho and steelhead stay in the trib for a year and go to the lake at a much larger size.
3) I have to admit that OFAH and the MNRF have had a lot of problems with the program. All the initial stocking was done with the LaHave strain which is a sea run atlantic and I believe not capable of doing well in the Great Lakes. Now they have produced brood stock of the Sebago and Lac St. Jean (both landlocked strains) returns should be better in my opinion but we'll have to see.
4) The reason the Atlantics disappeared before the beginning of the 1900s was over harvest and the construction of dams which stopped them from reaching the headwaters of the tribs and the spawning grounds.

A link to a slide presentation about the program at the Ganny.

https://porthope.civicweb.net/FileStora ... a%20Ri.pdf

If you have any questions you can always PM me.

Al

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

banner ad