Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:53 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Arrived at huffs at 1pm. No one out fishing at that time. Talked to a fellow briefly before heading out. He informed me that there was 5-6" of ice.......not even close to the truth. Anyone that knows me will know that i check the ice every 5 feet and never take anyones word about ice conditions.
This guy walks out with out any floatation on or even a spud in hand.... absolutely crazy.
Ice was very inconstant ranging anywheres from 4"-1".
There was several times i had to pick a new direction as the ice just was way to sketchy.
Finally said enough was enough and set up in 25' of water.
Had about 3" crap ice there and not far away 1 hit with the spud and you were through.
Ended up with 3 fish. 9lb 6.5lb and 5lber.
Packed up at prime time so i could get off the ice safely before dark.
Seen several guys walk out with out checking the ice and some even used power augers to cut their holes. Must have found better ice then i did.... :?
Reason for this post mainly was when i seen 2 adults in full floater suits bring a small child out with out any floatation whats so ever on and not even check the ice once.
If you plan on heading out anywhere on quinte please check the ice as you go and for god sake if you plan on taking a kid out put a life jacket on them.
Stay safe folks.
P.s. fish were caught on blue buckshot tipped with 3 minnows jigged aggressively.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:04 pm 
Walleye Angler

People need to learn to put their children's safety before their own!WTF!!! Great report WW!

I fish cuz it keeps me sane!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:16 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Fully agree corey. I think its great we get the younger generation out fishing but theres a time and place for that. Wish they made floater coats or suits for kids. Maybe they do ???
But till then a simple life jacket will work if you feel the need to take them on sketchy ice.
Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:42 am 
Minnow

The reach ice is sketchy 4 inches one spot 1 inch in another. You can't read ice when it has snow on it. You have to spud your way out or you're taking a chance . Wow a child on that ice Just because it's been stupid cold doesn't mean all the ice is safe. It's been a rough year for ice, don't push your limits!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:40 pm 
Minnow

Funny how oblivious some people are to ice conditions and the disaster that can occur in a heartbeat. We were out Friday in that snowstorm, closer to the power lines, when 4 guys showed up running willy nilly all over the ice. We had spudded our way out with many changes in direction because of the thin ice, but these guys had no idea. When we tried to tell them we found they spoke no English and bowed a lot. I realized just how dangerous these guys were when they discovered we had fish and wanted to see, but all four of us crowded into one spot sent the ice sinking and water coming up the hole. I backed off quick but they had no clue and no life jackets. After they left I uncoiled my rope but fortunately didn't have to use it as the wind and snow drove them off the ice.
Caught a nice 5 lbr and had a few more misses, red and silver Champ seemed to be the trick
Yesterday (Feb 14) it was a Cleo for a 2 lbr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:16 pm 
Walleye

thanxs for the report