Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 9:15 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Poor mans lobster
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:49 am 
Walleye

I was suppose to go to huffs on Monday but changed plans after seeing that wind and snow. We decided to head out just northwest of Verona to a lake for walleye.Got a few nothing big we stayed until 7pm around 6pm we had big marks come on hummingbird we got one to hit and two more after that wow do they ever fight ling cod or burbot as they are know we threw them back I've got them before when I was a child. I got home last night I did some research these fish are some of the finest fish to eat has anyone tried this fish.?

Post subject: Re: Poor mans lobster
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:19 am 
Walleye

Heard this too, never tried it like to go trycto get a few up north sometime.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:30 am 
Walleye Angler

I would put them up against walleye, crappie etc any day of the week. You can do the poor mans lobster by boiling but taste just as good baked or fried. The meat is firm and perfectly white. I have only been targeting them for the last few years but each year I do a night trip specifically to get them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:22 pm 
Walleye

Yea I heard they feed well at night and lakes with eyes they seem to come in as the walleye bite dies off definelty on my bucket list to go try for these lots of lakes up north have them in them

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:17 pm 
Minnow

I was with someone who caught one last year ice fishing. Owner of resort told us to keep it and try it. He cleaned it for us which was different, like skinned it. Has totally different intestines and such but was actually really good nice white meat. Only thing I didn't like was 7lb fish didn't give us that much meat for the size felt kinda waste full.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:35 pm 
Walleye Angler

I have had ling cod from the ocean (caught) and freshwater (caught) and enjoyed them both. Freshwater I have not field dressed, but have enjoyed them very much. Highly recommended.

I have begun to wonder about upping the ante with Sheepshead as of late, having had an interesting mix with it a few summers ago, when combined with walleye. This had it take on a lot of the taste, but with a more muscled texture. My thinking is that sheepshead could be combined with halibut to offset the cost and produce a better quality chowder.

Napanee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:38 am 
Walleye Angler

live target wrote:
I was with someone who caught one last year ice fishing. Owner of resort told us to keep it and try it. He cleaned it for us which was different, like skinned it. Has totally different intestines and such but was actually really good nice white meat. Only thing I didn't like was 7lb fish didn't give us that much meat for the size felt kinda waste full.

some people will just take the backstrap off which is a bit wasteful because the tail section is all meat. You dont need to skin it first just fillet by cutting on either side of the backbone and peeling the meat off then skin afterwards. You can also take a strip of meat off the belly but I havent tried that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:09 am 
Walleye

Thanks guys for reply backs I watched some YouTube videos on catching and cooking this fish yesterday.I will be targeting lingcod the weekend of 27&28 of February as I have ice fishing pike derby this weekend.I will post back on this subject if I can catch some more.

Post subject: Poor mans lobster
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:50 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I love them they are one of the best I've had. I keep the back straps off the fillet and cube them and wrap in bacon

banner ad